Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Felix Pastorius--How good is he?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Starbucker, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    I don't doubt that he would rock my socks off, but I have never heard a recording, seen a video, or anything like that. Have any of you heard or seen him? Do you know where I can find a recording?

Gracias.

2. Bass Day 2002 DVD

he does a solo performance

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    He plays down here a lot and I've seen him he is AMAZING... I drove 3 hours just to see him once..

4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I think he has some groove and some chops. He isn't his father, but he is talented. I hate the sound of his old basses though. Even on the bass day video he sounds like crap to me.

I really think he should consider a different brand of bass. and BTW I loooove fenders. He just sounds clunky and not great on his fender jazzes.

5. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    His cousin, David Pastorius (Jaco's nephew) is very good. Dave played "Opus Pocus" on the "Word of Mouth Revisited" Jaco tribute album.
    He used to play in the Melbourne/Orlando area quite often.
    He has tons of natural talent, great ears and is very humble.
    I wish I knew where he's gigging at now.

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I saw Felix play at last year's JVC JAzz tribute to Jaco and he was good, but didn't want to step out... I got the feeling that I wouldn't be able to get a feel for him unless I saw him on a few different nights. Thoose 'special guest" shows, and that one in particular, can be really brutal.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

As a bassist, he's really good. He's not his father nor has his father's gift of a unique voice or composing skills!

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    was that the year his performance was right after victor wooten's? he used vic's sequencer/recording thingy as a joke? yeah, he was ok; but i felt like he could have much more potential somewhere deep inside.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    David's cover of "Opus Pocus" is very impressive.
    I found that Revisited Big Band cd a little odd in that Jaco's son & Oteil Burbridge were omitted.

I picked up the Anniversary Edition of Milkowski's Jaco bio...somewhere in there(I think) it mentions Mary Pastorius & David Pastorius playing in a band called Queen Mary(?).

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if he wasnt jacos kid, nobody would know who he was.

11. It must be hard to be in that position. But I have to agree with you, narud. There are plenty of much better players who no one has heard of.

12. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  13. Queen Mary is *really* cool stuff. Not bass-heavy in any way (i'm not even sure how much of the recordings David plays on), but some really cool music, check out some clips:

http://www.queen-mary.cc/

14. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I think he's great..In fact i'm going to go see them again and have him sign the back of my headstock on my SX

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    And plenty of boring ones that are well-known.

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    You just know a lot of people are going to be gunning for him, it's a lot of pressure being the son of somebody like that. But it can turn out great, look at Matthew Garrison, one of the most forward looking bassist out there today. IMHO

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Just checked it out.
    Rhythm section OK, sans guitar and keyboardist.

I don't usually do this, but how did they land a gig with the Pastoriuses?

Really unimpressive. Meanwhile while Felix is very good, his little brother is also fairly good.

18. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    It must be difficult living in his father's shadow, persay. I could imagine that people constantly compare him to his father. You know, stupid people come up to him and saying things like, "Your dad was so much better," "play that one song, the one your dad wrote."

19. greenboy - agreed. plenty indeed.

jerry - that's pretty much what I'm saying. But I think he's making a mistake in that he uses JBs, plays a lot of his dad's music, and isn't even close. Whereas Matt Garrison really plays a completely different thing and has made a name for himself.