female bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have really noticed that most of the new players I really enjoy lately are women. Going back to the early 1990's with MeShell Ne'DegeOcello, I have found myself really enjoying music female bassist/songwriters. Debra Killings, Rhonda Smith, and now L-dia (from Myspace & Youtube) seem to be bringing freshness to funky bass that I can't quite put a finger on. It's not like they are pioneering new techniques, I guess it must be a "female touch" that gives their music a different feel.

On second thought, maybe it's the fact these players strike me as song driven instead of chops driven (although I guess I need to hear more from L-dia before I can be sure if she really fits what I'm talking about.) I say this, because I have become a fan of Fred Hammond, and he is definitely song (message) driven, not bass driven too.

I guess that maybe instead of gender, what I really am picking up on is that I love bass in a really musical context, not a clinical, "show-me-your-chops" kind of situation that so many great younger players seem to find themselves in.:cool:

Bridget Nicole Rose likes this.
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, thats great I guess!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, it seems the women are really tuned in when it comes to funk! We shouldn't be suprised about women having skills though. Have you heard some of them playing orchestral instruments, piano, guitar and percussion? Virtuosos to be sure! It does seem more and more women are gravitating more towards pop & jazz music related instruments and getting real good at playing them in the process!

I dig!

4. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    :eek: somebody else from newcastle

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yee knaa it kidda! :p

6. MC Divinity

7. I seem to find that most people i know think its wierd for me, a girl to play bass which really annoys me. They end up saying something about bass being easier because it has less strings.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hah! With all the ERB's with 5 strings on up to 11+, make that statement invalid! It also means they don't know what they're talking about! I can't stand uneducated or non researched opinions!

9. yeh but everyone knows that 5's are harder than 4's and so on!

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You forgot to add a couple of ;) ;) !

:D

11. Quote:
    Originally Posted by DWBass
    Hah! With all the ERB's with 5 strings on up to 11+, make that statement invalid! It also means they don't know what they're talking about! I can't stand uneducated or non researched opinions!

exactly, i play guitar and bass, so they can hardly use the less strings crap with me. some people just see bass players as religated guitarists

12. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    IMO there are several factor contributing to your apreciation of women bass players. First in this man dominated business and fan base for a woman to stand out and be recognized she has to be a great player.

Also from my years of playing and listening to women play music I hate to generalize, but the tend to play with a laid back feel. It works great for bass, drums, and some other instruments and music. But not a lot of woman guitar players or up front Jazz soloists. I see it as they are not musically aggressive players. Hope that makes sense and not meant as a negative, but comment on style.

Last I think you hit on a lot when you talked about liking bass players who are more about the music and not a lot of pryotechnics when they play. I am a big fan of all the bass players you named especially Meshell she is the true definition of an artist. Not just a bass player she is a singer, writer, arranger, producer, and has a lot to say in her lyrics. I too a big fan of Fred Hammond in fact I saw him play on New Years Eve at a Praise Party. I wish he would play more bass himself but he's so busy now writing and fronting the band he doesn't have the time. But he always has good bass players in his band like Mo' Fitzgerald and Alan Evans. A bass player I think that does a good job of balancing the music and amazing chops is Alain Caron. I went to a clinic of his the other day. It is scary how much of a thinking player he is, he knows every note he's playing and why he wants to that note.

I think you are on track with your thoughts.

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    yeah man. i dig meshell and rhonda. Van Hunt's bass player, the Duchess of Funk is awesome too.

14. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Don't let it annoy you...just play your butt off :bassist:

15. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Ditto that! Let your playing do the talking. :D

BTW folks, I recently heard Shelly's (above) excellent playing on her MySpace page, check her out if you haven't already!

16. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    And of course, check out Lizzy's, too :)

17. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Hmm - not enough female bass players by half, however thanks to TB and youtube/myspace I have discovered some great talent, including L'Dia, and now Shelley and Lizzy. Bring it on ladies I am liking what I hear:)

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hope I don't sound like a suckup, but I should have mentioned Shelly in my original post. She is a great player. I love how she gets such a nice tone out of her Stingray played that slapped/plucked melody on one song on her Myspace site.:)

19. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I agree. I've been listening to Rhonda allot and I recently dug out my Me'shell CDs. Prince's One Nite Alone...Live is a must have if you want to hear what Rhonda can do.

20. Constance Redgrave of the SpikeDrivers is a hell of a blues player... her taste and groove are immaculate. And she's a marvellous singer t'boot.

Here's a tune from their website... Soul Searchin' Blues

The Spikedrivers Website..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021