female bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 19, 2007.

1. David Bowie's Bass player is awesome too, I think her name is Gail Ann Dorsey.

2. That one on the Robert Palmer "Addicted To Love" looked like a mean bass players to me ;)

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm glad you mentioned her. Her album back in the late 1980's, "The Corporate World," was one of the first great bass albums with what I guess is the "female sensibility."

4. +1!!!

I had the pleasure of meeting Shelly at a TB GTG yesterday. She is an AMAZING player.......and a nice person as well:D

5. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Thanks, man. I heard so nice licks coming from you, too :) And thanks again for setting up the GTG! Thanks to Dr. Cheese and poptart, too! You guys are too good.

BTW, if you already have GAS, GTG's are dangerous places...

Seems like a lot of female musicians find there way into talk show bands...didn't Rosie O'Donell's show from the '90's have a female bassist? Honorable mentions go to Starr (keyboards) and Terri Lynn Carrington (drums) from the Arsenio Hall show.

6. I might be showing my ignorence here, but who is the female bassist (double bass) on Sting's Englishman In New York video?

Here's the link:

7. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Isn't that Tracy Wormsworth?

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Please pardon me, because it has nothing to do with musicianship, but that Yolanda Charles is seriously cute! That said, looking at her discography, she clearly has the skills. No one does that level of work from just being easy on the eyes.:bassist:

9. Not to parallel DrCheese (and drag his arse down to the guttah with me), but I have a hard time with female bassists. Simply becuase I checkout their "ASTHETICS" as well as their muscianship. At least superficially. I'm supposed to be bigger than that, but I'm still just a damn dog. Male players, I listen only. Objective,yet subjective once its in my brain. Not fair. But tis. Suppose if I didnt find the female attractive at all, (and I mean,its rare as hell), I would be a better judge of their muscianship. So, pretty much, I think

ALL FEMALE PLAYERS ROCK!!!! :bassist:

To be more eloquent about it, female players give someone like me a better "show"as it becomes more visual, more erotic, if you will. Something that I dont feel with my gender. Its sexist, unfair, but I'm trying to be open and real about it.

10. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Yep, Tracy Wormsworth again! :D

11. Hello,

About female musicians--My mother played Tenor sax back in the late 80's... She didn't want people to judge her because she was a woman. A lot of bands turned her down and tossed her ideas in the trash just because of her gender. Or they would not listen to her music at all and just 'check her out.' ... So she would play outside in the night, and people would think: "Whose that guy playing sax out there!? He's really good!" Infact, that's how she met my father... But I digress...

I am not the prettiest female in the world--But I use that to my advantage, because that way people will be forced to just pay attention to the music no matter what! (hopefully :) ) I just keep on practising...

-K-

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    What about Suzi Quatro? She was rockin with the best of them back in the 70's

13. i'm partial to Jen Z of Antigone Rising, she's great (and she plays a warwick).

how about you all?

14. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Kim Racer - mostly for lust reasons.

15. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    There was that chick in that bar band at Yreka, California several years ago playing an Ibanez Roadstar. Never found out her name but she was one hot bass player.:D

The only other female bass player I can think of other than Carole Kaye is Jean Millington who played in Fanny back in the 70's.

OK, so I'm not very "up" on new music. I admit it.

16. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    Melissa Auf Der Maur comes to mind!

17. rushfan73

rushfan73

Mar 9, 2007
    Manchester,MO
    sean from white zombie deserves a mention.

18. melissa auf der maur
    d'arcy
    paz lenchantin

19. Kristen Pfaff- although shes been dead since 94'

The chick from Silversun Pickups... just to name a few

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021