female bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 19, 2007.

1. no kidding man. when i started this thread i really wasn't interested in hearing what everyone thought about the bodies of female bass players - what about the music???

so, how about that marcus miller? nice package, and he ain't too bad on the bass either... :eyebrow:

sheesh...

2. fcleff

fcleff Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    And don't forget about our very own txbasschick here on TB.

:bassist:

3. fcleff

fcleff Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Boys will be boys. But, for the record, the two bass ladies I have mentioned are both fine players. And that was my first mention, too.

There is also Cheryl Crow.

4. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
  5. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    thanks. it drove me crazy until i searched on Google for info about Jennifer Zielenbach and found Bassgirls.com

6. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    Tal Wilkenfel!!!

7. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Oh come on!!.....I'm sure you 'actually' realize that we knew what you meant!!

...or are you stereotyping?

8. Yolanda Charles!

She is killa on Robbie's William's Live at Knebworth DVD, and it also helps that she plays a Lakland too :)

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Tina Weymoth was a pretty big influence on me when I started. She wasn't very flashy but every note was a real contribution to the overall picture. I wanted the maximum expression per note. Choice over chops.

10. kristen pfaff come on guys!

as i said on page 3 i know shes been dead since june of 94' but still

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That was really uncalled for. Gayle Ann is a musician, not a pinup, furthermore, what makes her ugly? You might want to think before you answer if you answer because you might open a big can of worms.

12. Agreed. Gail is easy on my eyes.... a mighty fine artist / musician / person as well

http://www.gailanndorsey.com

13. Recently ive been getting into Robin Moulder(Jack off Jill)'s lines, not very technical but still kinda cool!
    Also, does anyone know of any female 6 stringers? I'm yet to find any!

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    +2 That's also why I posted a link to Rhonda Smith since another bassplayer here seems to think she's not attractive! I just wanted him to see more than one picture of her. It probably wouldn't have made a difference in his mind. I think she's very attractive! And this is NOT a beauty contest!

15. nandj

nandj

Mar 29, 2007
    Essex, UK.
    Carol Kaye........started it all, didnt she?

16. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    there's maya from pacha massive. groovy chick!
    www.myspace.com/pachamassive

someone mentioned jean millington. they're honoring fanny at berklee tonite. the band i play in is opening.
    i am excited about seeing her play.

well, seeing all the comments here, i'm glad i'm an ugly chick.

17. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    What about Trish Doan now of Kittie?

18. fcleff

fcleff Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Nah. There's bound to have been SOMEONE before her.

Come to think of it, there was June Carter.

19. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Birdxofprey,

What a great comment! That's something I've often thought about posting as a female bass player.

Someday, the Male Bass Player thread. :bassist:

20. Modulrob

Modulrob

Jan 8, 2003
    When I was your age, I remember some (ignorant) folks saying that. Just remember how great the bass is...if you can bridge the drums to the guitar, without overpowering the vocal, while still producing an interesting musical part that *most* people don't really notice, you're an f'ing awesome bass player. It's harder to do than any of the other parts.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021