female bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Amy Humphrey of Clatter has some mad skillz!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That Clatter clip is nice!:cool:

3. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I was so stoked on those clips I went and found the DVD of that complete show. (Debra Killings - Surrender LIVE) She is soooo good, just working that 6 string and singing....incredibly talented.

[​IMG]

Well worth finding and picking up a copy of it. :D

4. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    There was a lady I saw in Des Moines in a former life by the name of Sue Miget (the group was called Miget Miget, IIRC). I'll NEVER forget her playing on the bass. Truly awesome.

5. here's another Amy Humphrey clip

mm

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    You know, I usually just let your posts go without bothering to comment, but enough already. You might have the highest ratio of posts to relevance of anyone on TB. I don't think I've ever criticized another poster here, but in all honesty I wish you'd just think before you post and then only when you have something worth contributing.

Not everyone can be Amanda Tannen from stellastarr*
    amanda tannen.jpg

For that matter, not every male bass player is Keanu Reeves. Which I suppose is bad news for the ladies, but good news for music in general, apart from fans of Dogstar.

After all, it isn't as if Chris Squire or Geddy Lee are male modeling in their spare time. It's funny to me that many people decry the state of the music industry and the focus on image over substance and then critique female bass players based on their looks.

Back to the actual topic of the thread, I read through the whole thing and to my surprise most of my favorite female players have already been mentioned:

Meshell Ndegeocello
    Leslie Langston
    Kim Deal
    Kim Gordon
    Tina Weymouth
    Amy Humphrey

When I first saw the MySpace video by L-dia I was blown away. Great chops, tremendous feel and tone and a sweet voice to boot. The fact that she can sing so well while slapping out great lines is amazing. I don't dig her original music as much as her take on covers, but there's no denying her talent.

And while I have a lot of respect for her as a player, the whole deal with claiming credit for James Jamerson's work makes it hard for me to really like Carol Kaye.

7. Yes! Ive seen this band (Tempest) before and that chick rocked.
    Also i saw on tal wilenfields website that shes been playing bass 4 years. And shes only 21. Thats actually discouraging for me.

8. toaster2k3

toaster2k3

May 21, 2007
    It makes us guys less insecure about "loving" bands. My girlfriend plays bass too. She's not really flashy or anything but she can lay down a mean groove in context.

9. Lucy Atkinson of Kinski is pretty good, she occasionally uses a Bow to play her EB-0

and

LynZ from Mindless Self Idulgence is also good, not to mention she uses weird lookin basses

10. Amen! Besides, if its not about John Entwhistle, he dosen't stick around anyway.

Personally, I've had a crush on Gail since Bowie's "Outside" album.

11. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    This is an old Hollywood band and i'm not sure what she is up to these days but Dianne could lay it down and sing on top of that. check it.

12. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow, good call (and find)! I'm old enough to remember them--they had a killer live clip in "Urgh! A Music War".

13. Maaak

Maaak

Dec 13, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Dunlop Picks
  14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
  15. 30hrz

30hrz

May 13, 2007
    Toronto
    I love this band:

Dance Yourself To Death

Lead singer is also the bassist (or is that the other way around?). Their tunes stick in my head for days.

More Canucks: Kittie

Bassist Trish Doan was recently featured on the cover of some bass guitar mag.

16. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    Maybe she was mentioned before but..:

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    L-dia is unreal. That last clip where she combined the chord work and slap while singing is fantastic. She has got to get a CD out fast!:cool:

18. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Annie Clements

19. lowendtheory

lowendtheory I like the bass

Sep 2, 2003
    Australia, Brisbane
    damn straight. she was on the national alternative radio station (triple J) a couple of weeks ago. not much of an interviewee then, but holy crap. i've never felt so ashamed of my inablility to play before! i find it quite awesome watching her play actually, she gets so into it but looks so natural, it's great.

check out this... (sorry about the ad beforehand)

http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/v/en-a...9-4f9e-b08e-aa321ae8d250&f=imbot_en-au&fg=rss

cheers and enjoy!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021