female bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    remember Rayna Foss?

[​IMG]

or Sean Yseult?
    sean.jpg

rumor has it she is playing for the Cramps these days...

2. Okay, everybody stop!

we're talking female bass players, and in 9 pages there has only been one mention of Tal Wilkenfeld???

she's currently touring with Jeff Beck, and has played with people like Chick Corea and Frank Gambale so far, she's 22, Australian and has only been playing bass for around 5 years. If you've not heard of her, or heard her playing, seriously check her out, she's not bad on the eye either tbh.

3. Hope somebody mentioned Jocelyn Lanois and Sandy Horne (the Spoons).

4. emusedone

emusedone

Apr 28, 2008
    I enjoyed the posts on this thread. I am a female bass player and have encountered more "hey nice body" instead of "hey, cool sound or I like your playing style" or whatever.... but I understand the nature of the beast. I just love playing the bass....and have been inspired by both female and male bassists, with different styles. I've been fortunate though in that a lot of people have helped me online. And I keep a pretty open mind about styles and such. Playing in a band, being the only female in it, has been great, I feel like I am the bass player in the band, not the "female in the band". :)

5. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    To me, what counts is what you play and how you play it.
    Being a female isn't as important! (Of course, except to you that is!)

I enjoy bass playing by many bass players of different genres. I am sure that there are more than a few "female bass players" that I could learn lots from!

Keep rockin':bassist:

6. kaseyreever71

kaseyreever71

Feb 28, 2008
    check out emma anzani from the sick puppies she is amazing.I've seen her in concert twice and she rocks.:bassist:

7. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    I can't remember her name at the moment, but the bass player from the Iron Maidens is a great bass player! She's got some skills too~!

:)

8. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Wanda Ortiz.

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Amen to OP, the Cheese man, for underlying the beauty of song-centric bass playing. I remember an interview with Tina Weymouth (an integral part of one of my favorite bands-T. Heads) saying she never felt out to prove anything. I believe the tendency to show off one's chops is a very classic manifestation of chest thumpnig, more frequently a fault of males than females. In the same vein, I must say that although dics released by bass player phenoms as leaders can be interesting, there are precious few I listen to for the beauty of the music.

10. I often play bass i church on a Sunday morning but last Sunday I went in the evening too. Blow me down, there was one of the mums who'se normally helping in the creche in the morning doing some great suff on the bass! I was lika woa :hyper:

Russell

11. Iron Tusk

Iron Tusk

Feb 22, 2008
    If any of you get the chance, check out M. Barcia from the progressive death metal band Kathaarsys.

Reminds me of Alex Webster and Mendez, only as a hot chick:bag:

12. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    interesting points. that's why i love meshell. :)

13. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    exactly what i thought of. forget all that jeff beck stuff, her solo album will absolutely blow your mind. very jaco-ish in terms of the level of melodic madness she is capable of. shes got a great tone, great feel, and is among the top players in the world if you ask me.

14. aikakone

aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have a nominee that has not yet been mentioned. I have only heard a few of their songs, but I love the tasty lines that I've heard

*Stephanie Ashworth of Something for Kate
    (Australian band, not personally sure of their level of international fame)

http://www.myspace.com/somethingforkate

==

Another player I've enjoyed because of her use of silence (I tend to play too busy) is

*Mareea Paterson [Her MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/friendsfromsweden ]

She's been in several bands, but I know her from having played for Tim Finn in the studio and on his tours. A particularly tasty track in my opinion is "Dead Man" from Tim's album Feeding the Gods. It shows that use of silence and not being too busy for the song.

15. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
  16. 2Three

2Three

May 15, 2008
    remember d'arcy? she was cool

17. There's a woman on YouTube named Amanda Ruzza, she's Brazillian I believe. She has some cool chops.

18. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    This is quite the long thread so apologies for repeating.

How about Tina Weymouth from the Talking Heads or Melissa Auf der Maur (Hole, Smashing Pumpkins) or D'arcy Wretzky from the Smashing Pumpkins?

B.T.W. I'm typing here while listening to the tracks on LizzyD's Myspace page...lovin it!

John

19. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Rachel Haden of The Rentals and That Dog.
    1143238181_47c4e781fe.png

20. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    + 100 for Tal Wilkenfield.

I came here and did a search on Jeff Beck to find out who she is. Damn!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021