female bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 19, 2007.

1. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    One Girl You should check out is Rika mm from Melt Banana. Not to say that she isn't on par with guy bass player's, but she's probably the most advanced technique-wise female bassist that I have heard.

2. pankykapus

pankykapus

Jun 25, 2007
    Has anyone mentioned Carrie Melbourne? She's a chapman stick and bass player played with Mike Oldfield on several gigs I think she's quite good :)

3. Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but doesn't it seem like if any member in a rock band is going to be female its either the singer or the bassist? Not that they are bad players, but just saying...

4. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I did a search but I didn't see Laura Love's name. Very funky player who I seem to always forget when I see these lists. She has quite a few very good albums out.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Goodness! I'm in love with Tal!! I got so turned on when she started making those 'bass faces'!! :D

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
  7. funbass

funbass

Dec 16, 2006
    ether
    Check out Super 400 . Their website has a picture of her bass with blood all over it.

8. AndretheBassist

AndretheBassist

Jul 12, 2007
    A lotta times I see females using bass picking, which I'm not completely adverse to in certain situations, but there are plenty of great ones who don't pick! Everybody had named some good ones but I'm not sure if anyone said Jennifer Arroyo...she's pretty freakin good =D

9. I've listening to and enjoying a lot of live material by Jennifer Burnes of the Bay Area instrumental/surf bands Mermen and Shi-Tones. Easy on the ears and eyes.

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Satomi Matsuzaki -Deerhoof

Satomicancan.jpg

11. Tina Weymouth- Talking Heads. She rules.

12. tat2jim

tat2jim

Sep 13, 2007
    ATL via NYC

Attached Files:

13. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm scared. :( :crying:

14. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
  15. I get that too. One guy said he was expecting us to be like evanescence or something because I'm in the band and he expected me to be the singer :rollno:
    After the gig though he was full of compliments :D

16. to add up to the confusion: kim annette clarke (defunkt) - oustanding funkateer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrfuaMK6R6o

17. lazzer

lazzer

May 20, 2006
    +1 for Gail Anne, she's toured with Gwen Stefani too & is a great singer to boot.......

18. I second that MOTION. Saw Divinity do her thing solo at a VICTA show, and I wanted to marry her on the spot. Didnt matter if I was married, didnt matter if she was straight or not, if she couldnt take my hideous looks, just pure [size=+1]INSTANT INFATUATION. [/size]

http://www.myspace.com/divibaby

19. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I have quirky tastes at times but I love the band 'Southern Culture On The Skids'.
    I think Mary Huff is a fine bass player. I also like Tina Weymouth of ' Talking Heads"
    fame.

20. Logans Dad

Logans Dad

Dec 9, 2002
    The "OK Sisters" are a local band here in central Nebraska. I think their bassist, Karen Earhart is an awesome bass player. I've listened to them live a few times and I've never heard her miss a note and her timing is always spot on. I can only hope to play as well as she does some day.

You can hear clips of her playing on their CD Baby page. A good song for a bass sample is "the deal".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021