female bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's Rhonda Smith with that funky Lakland with the fist headstock.

rhonda_smith_1.jpg

2. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Attended a clinic with Todd Johnson, Dave Dyson and Rhonda Smith.

Everyone walked out of her session amazed at her right hand abilities. :eek:

Slap, fingerstyle, flamenco, and stuff that doesn't even have names all played with amazing precision.

Jim

3. fcleff

fcleff Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Told you so.

:bassist:

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Actually, she doesn't look too bad in some of those pics.

5. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Meshell just kill me, as a player.
    I love watching her play.
    Great groove.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here's clip of one of my favorites, Gospel and session bassist, Debra Killings. Check out her playing and singing!

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here's a little melodic/chord solo by Debra Killings:

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here's one more clip of Debra Killlings:

9. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Dang, she is GOOD! Thanks for that link. That Yammy is huge on her...anyone who thinks you need big hands to play a six string needs to see her play. :cool:

10. fcleff

fcleff Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Killings - what an appropriate name. She slays! Thanks for that link.

I don't think that anyone has mentioned Amy Humphrey of Clatter. She's really good and very innovative.

:bassist:

11. I cant believe it took some one that long to mention her, shes a pretty rockin player too, something that most people dont realize is that all those good bass lines on her albums are played by her.

12. As long as we're naming off our favorite female bassists... Debbie Googe.

And here's an obscure one for you... Virginie Peitavi.

Oh, and last time I looked at Me'shell's myspace page, she had a bass player listed in her "band members" section. And I am talking about a bass player that's not her. *** is up with that? Did she stop playing? Tell me if I am crazy.

13. she's almost always toured with a bassist in the band.

As leader she sings, plays keys and some bass.

14. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    And she's coming to Charlotte!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Baleen

Baleen

Nov 8, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Anyone familiar with the original line-up of "Throwing Muses" (House Tornado, Fat Skier)? Leslie Langston is an incredible bassist. She really matched the frenetic vibe of the Muses with her rhythmically melodic style. Can't find much info on her post-Muses, but I hope she's still playing.

16. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Aimee Mann, not really known for her bass playing, but she played bass in Til Tuesday and still plays a little live and is quite good.
    aimee.gif

17. SexFuneral

SexFuneral

Jan 25, 2007
    Kansas, USA
    Oh man, my first bass teacher was of the female type. She could work the 4 strings like it was made for her. God I wish she was still teaching, and also alive :bawl:

Mad and unending props to ladies of the low end......speaking of which whatever happened to Sean of White Zombie?

18. Since we are not allowed to call each other names, that only leaves me to say I STRONGLY disagree.

19. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    WOW!!! She's awesome! After seeing/hearing that....it's back the the WOODSHED for me.....obviously I need to be in there for a long time to even come slightly close to how great she is.

20. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Aimee Mann was great in til tuesday! Seeing them live was so much fun. She layed down the fat basslines while singing really good too. The first TT record has the bass way up in the mix. One of my faves from the 80's. I was bummed when she stopped playing bass all the time and picked up a guitar.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021