1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 2018 MIM Player Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OllyW, Jun 14, 2018.

1. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    That Pau Ferro looks good; most look washed-out.

StrangerDanger likes this.
  2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    It’s definitely one of the better ones I’ve seen

3. Sean Brookes

Sean Brookes

Apr 28, 2017
    Looks good to me.

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Nothing wrong with your eye, the trussrod hole is definately off-center.

5. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Wow!

6. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    Yup. Looks off to me. Probably would return it. Found this when looking into your issue:
    jackson+offset+truss+rod.
    "This is a neat innovation by Jackson- an offset truss rod placement. Why is this necessary? It's because this guitar's neck sports an asymmetrical neck profile; it's thicker on the bass side, thinner on the treble side. You won't be seeing this in the shops any time soon as it's currently limited to the Custom Shop models."

7. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    It’s definitely going back. I guess now I have something else to check on Fenders.

8. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    You’re kidding right?

9. It's hard to tell with the strings on, just measuring it from your picture it seems OK to me. The way the nut's cut, string thickness differences and a slight angle could all be contributing to an optical illusion. Take a pic with a ruler across it and the strings off to silence the doubters :)

10. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    B0FC8CA8-B825-4561-9327-75B6901E4725.

Yahboy likes this.
  11. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    That's straight on from the top. The only reason it appears to be "an optical illusion" is because your mind wants to auto correct the image to where the truss rod hole is in the center so then it looks like its angled. I can tell you its one of the weirder things I have seen on a modern production instrument.

12. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Yeah, that's off.

And Pau Ferro can really be all over the map. I was checking out various colors of this bass on Sweetwater, and one of the fretboards looked as dark as the most vintage dark rosewood.

13. My silence shall commence ;) Except to agree that it is very odd, what with CNC machines. Anyone else seen a Player like that?

14. fenjazz

fenjazz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Portand, OR
    My red/pau ferro came this past weekend. No nut issues and it plays great after dropping the action and tightening the truss rod a bit. Sounds like a classic P-bass should. I love the new pickups.

Just need a tortoiseshell pickguard now.

15. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    Don't forget to post a picture.

16. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Even without the jacked up truss rod I’d probably bring it back. I have tried over and over to love jazz basses because of the look and the playability but I just can’t love that tone. I’m just a p bass guy I guess.

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I seem to be the opposite....

18. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Don’t get me wrong. I’ve gigged and owned lots of jazz basses. I think they’re great but I’m definitely more of a p bass guy. It’s about the mids I guess.

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I'm really trying to love this Sage Green P. It's not bad but there's just something about it that doesn't do for me like a Jazz bass. A set of D'Addario Chromes arrived for it on yesterday. I'm contemplating whether I should put them on....

20. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    I like the Dunlop Flats. You might like chromes but I always found them sticky and clanky

ebozzz likes this.