1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 2018 MIM Player Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OllyW, Jun 14, 2018.

1. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    The pups used in the MIM Player Series P carry part #'s of 7712272/1, which appear to be new Fender part #'s for pups …

No reason to have a STB bridge on a top load only, un-drilled body... ;)

BillMason likes this.
  2. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    This is all about the Jag on the prior page, for those just joining.

Did have to tweak the truss rod to flatten it somewhat, the intonation on all 4 saddles, and raise the G and E saddles. No noticeable high frets, though admittedly I’m not the most subtle player, and not especially sensitive to fret noise, see further comment on my style below. I like a fairly low action.

The tuners are strange to me in that they have a bevel/groove where the string wraps, but it’s halfway up the shaft rather than lower down - I was concerned the A would rattle, but I set the witness points (bend/press down at nut and bridge) and no issues. The tuners are nice and smooth and easy to turn, like them.

OK tone report.

Firstly, I am a ham handed pick digging in rock player. So, ymmv greatly if you’re caressing the strings with your fingertips.

I have lots to compare with, Aerodyne for PJ, USA P and J basses, an L-2K and a Stingray for actives.

Also, I just put Pressurewounds on, which I am sure greatly (and in a great way, they are beyond excellent on this bass) affect what I’m hearing.

Rig Mesa D-800 to Subway 115, fair sized board, always on are Empress Comp and Broughton LP/HP, plus some OD and a fuzz.

This thing is 99.9% of any P I’ve ever played, with the P solo’d. Punchy, articulate. Tone rolls off nicely to a warm fatter tone. Add in the J all the way up, you know the sound, it’s an excellent version of that...scooped, crisp up top. I don’t use the J solo’d ever, but it sounds pretty fat, fatter than my other J/PJ’s anyways, but still that thinner sound, not my thing. I don’t have experience with the prior Mexi pickups, but these new ones are the real deal, nice!

So, honeymoon sure, but wow it knocked my socks off. It’s going to first jam with a new band later this week.

bgx and Benko like this.
  3. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    You are correct! Good point! And there’s nothing wrong with the old bent bridges anyway.

4. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    I played the Player Precision bass yesterday and was VERY impressed! The pickup are not very bright: it was a pleasant surprise. With the tone wide open, roundwounds, and the treble on the amp at 7 it was still a fairly woody sound. So if you like really bright tones you'll not be thrilled right out of the box. It had a fullness in the midrange that modern basses seem to lack, but old ones have in spades. It also had that fat kind of click of string against firewire when you laid into it. I couldn't find a technique that gave me a dissatisfactory tone. The amp was just a Fender Rumble 200- no boutique or top-end amp tone.

I was also impressed with the setup. Could have been done at the store, but the horribly high Fender action had been corrected, and a very comfortable fairly low action made the bass so much easier to play. Finances ATM do not allow for an unnecessary $650 purchase, but if I was looking for (or could afford) a 2nd P bass I probably would have bought it right then.

There was also one small aesthetic that pleased me: the headstock logo. I hate seeing "made in ______" on the headstock. The 50s style logo they're using, to me, is great. Not huge (HATE the 70s P bass logos), no country of origin, just Fender Precision Bass. It looks classy. The all-black logos of the Standard series seemed to serve as an immediate indication that they were inferior. Maybe that's just me being weird, but this little change makes the bass more pleasing to my eye. My guitar friend found a drummer that likes the same music we do, so if that works out and we find a singer...maybe we'll play some bars. Who knows, I might just end up with some cash to justify buying one after all.

5. Curt Frye

Curt Frye

May 28, 2018
    I just received my Buttercream P Bass from zZounds and the quality is excellent. The setup wasn't bad but everyFender I've ever bought has come setup kind of high and bit more neck relief than needed. A small truss rod adjustment and set string height to my liking and I love it.

Lowbrow, maplenecked, Glazenn and 2 others like this.
  6. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I finally got to unbox my buttercream strat Saturday. The color is exactly what I dreamed it would be in person. It's so good. Unfortunately, I get to find out how awesome Sweetwater's customer service really is because there's a small ding in the neck. I felt it before I saw it which means it would bother me to no end. Email was sent immediately and I'm waiting to hear back from my rep.

7. fender68

fender68

Jun 7, 2011
    Oh yeah!!

ThudThudThud likes this.
  8. fender68

fender68

Jun 7, 2011
    I see a little flame in that neck!!

9. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    That's the one right there!

neutralomen likes this.
  10. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Bought an SGM Jazz today. Not sure about the color but it was so light I couldn’t pass it up. I really love the neck. I’ll get some picks up later. The Pau Ferro is gorgeous too. Looks like a Fender Custom Shop fingerboard.

Glazenn and GregC like this.
  11. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    I don’t know about all the complaints about Pau Ferro. Looks pretty good to me.

Attached Files:

12. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Looks good to me, too. I love a good rosewood board, but Pau ferro is a totally acceptable substitute. Really tempted to pick up a Sonic red Jazz.

StrangerDanger likes this.
  13. neutralomen

neutralomen

Jan 31, 2018
    i already stained my pau board. it can look ok but sometimes it is just too oranfe. didnt look great in contrast with my sonic red bass. the orange and red were clashing.

it wasnt...the best stain job but not bad for a first time. i may put a USA pro neck on it anyway

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Not really much of a complaint with me but I wish that it was darker. It's also a little dry to the touch but may be remedied by oiling it. I'm still not totally on board with keeping mine so I'm trying to hold off until after I make that decision...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  15. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Just set it up with Dunlop flats and it’s a screamer. Really great sound. It’s 8.8 lbs which is light for a Fender Jazz bass but I’m kind of a sissy about weight because of a spinal issue. My p bass is 7.9 lbs so this is heavier. That might be the only problem. These basses, at least this one, is extremely well made and the pickups and fit n finish are excellent.

crucislancer and ebozzz like this.
  16. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    I got a chance to play a Tidepool P version about a week ago.
    Although I'm not in the market for a P and would much rather find a J to try, the P was really nice. I mean it felt like a P and played like a P, but those pickups really did make a bit of a difference in sound, IMO. Nothing HUGE, but the overall sound was smoother, creamier than I'd really appreciated with the ceramics (I've only ever played ceramics). And I liked it.

I'd like to find a J to sample, but that P I played made me want to make my first Fender purchase a P... I love my CV 70's Squier P, but that Player wasn't bad at all.

I need to win the lottery :(

BillMason and crucislancer like this.
  17. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    Butter Cream P and J (and SSS Strat) sold out at Thomann :bawl: :thumbsdown: :crying:
    Any other color still available though.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  18. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Off center truss rod look off to anybody else?

Attached Files:

bdplaid likes this.
  19. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Yeah but could be photo angle, got one straight on to the headstock face?

20. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    It’s my picture and my bass. It’s definitely not centered.

keto likes this.