1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 6x10 pro Cab horn removal/replacement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jsuwinski777, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Hey guys I just bought a Used Fender 6x10 pro Cab ( older model) and is in good overall shape, but the horn knob is kissing and it has been stripped out on the inside ( see pictures ). It is almost impossible to adjust the horn , so my question is would it be better to replace the whole thing or can I just remove the horn as a whole and take it out of the equation? I've never really used the horn on cabs to begin with. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. If it were me I’d fix what’s broken. Then you have a fully functioning cab. Better for resale, and you never know when you might want to use the horn.

Take the back plate off. See what you’ve got inside. Maybe you can set the adjustment from the inside or turn it all the way down until you decide what you want to do.

3. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Hmm interesting I never though about doing that lol I'm trying to find the original horn, but all I can seem to find is aftermarket now

4. Just replace the horn attenuator. There is normally no correlation between it going bad and the horn having a problem. From the pic it just looks like the shaft for the attenuators was broken off. If that’s all, the horn is likely OK.

5. Agree. Looks like just the knob or shaft :woot: ..... is broken.
    I wouldn't be considering replacing the actual horn or tweeter.
    But...... for me, I'd probly just leave it, if I wasn't on using the horn, or planning on selling the cab. I rarely use tweeters, especially on nice big 610s like this.
    But.... yes, just try and replace the knob or knob and potp

6. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    What part would I need to replace if it's not the whole assembly? I thought it was all one piece