Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender 75RI replacement pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nemo, Feb 16, 2006.

1. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Hi, I have put a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquities II into my 70's Jazz clone couple of weeks ago only to find that there is too much bottom for my needs..

I have thought of putting there CS60 or 75RI pickups instead. While there is handful of info on CS60, the search feature does not allow me to find anything about 75RI pickups.

Do you have any experience with these 75RI's? Thanks a lot!

Link to merchant is here:
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_pickupsfenderjazz.htm.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I have a MIJ 75 reissue Jazz Bass that I have modified. I currently have bartolini single coil jazz Pups and a bartolini 3 band eq wired vol-treble bass stack-push pull mid-blend.

I think the bartolini are the best pickups money can buy. I think they are considerably better than anything you can get from fenders pickup lineup.

3. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    This is a matter of taste, I know the sound of Bartolinis and this is not I would want in the typical 75 jazz bass - think Rhonda Smith - she has stock 75RI, I like that sound (Prince - Live at Aladdin DVD).
    I'am just not sure about CS60 vs 75RI pups comparison.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Lindy Fralin makes the J set they use on the Lakland J bass copies, I thought they sounded great, and if anything are a little overly bright (which you can fix with a 1/4 twist of the tone knob).

I also really like the basic basslines Js that are in my Hamer USA Cruise. I think they are the "vintage" model (not antiquity).

5. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Hey guys, any info on CS60 vs 75RI pickups? Thanks!
    See the link in the original post.

6. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston