1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender 9050M Stainless Steel Flatwound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Linnin, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    073-9050-406.jpg
    I like these strings. I put them on a bass that I never ever wanted to restring again. I chose this stringset over all others mainly because of things I didn't want to hear. On the top end nothing: bright; clanky, 'modern', or twangy. On the bottom end the last thing I wanted was a dull dead thumper. Things I wanted to hear included: strong attack, a well focused fundamental, full midrange content, smooth glassy highs, and good sustain. The Fender 9050M stringset gives me all of that and more. They sound good straight out of the pack, and have good string-to-string balance of volume and tone. I put these on last month and have 40+ hours playing time on them and they have begun to settle in nicely. It is easy to tell they will sound superb far longer than I will live.

Although Fender does not publish tension measurements, make no mistake, the tension is high. I used D'Addario's figures for their Chromes just to get a ballpark estimate at about 225 pounds total set tension. Anything over 200 is quite a bit. The .055 G and .070 D are both around 65 pounds each. That's a lot. Yes, you can feel it when you play. So what. Don't be a wimp.

The heavier G & D strings gave me that solid, powerful, and authoritative tone and attack that I wanted straight away. There is a tremendous amount of bass meat to be had and it makes my ears happy. The .090 A string is nothing short of glorious. You would think that the .105 E would unbalance the set, but it doesn't and fits in and plays well with the others. If I really wanted a .110 E, I could get a D'Addario Chromes E.

An extreme strong point of this stringset is the full well focused midrange. It presents itself like a herd of wild mustangs thundering across the western plains powerfully muscular and unrestrained. The low mids are especially strong & clear, but don't overpower the rest of the midrange.

The top end is smooth and glassy with a bit of air underneath to give the tone a bit of lift right where it needs it. It's a nice touch that allows for some delicate dynamics when desired.

Flexibility is not a term in this stringset's lexicon. Stiff, yes, but not completely unyielding. The bridge on my bass is a Hipshot top load only. I would not recommend through body stringing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. Fender 9050s are way underrated as far as I'm concerned. People usually complain about them being bright and clangy. Yes, they are fresh out of the package but give them a couple of months of good workout and see how they blossom. Smooth, full-bodied punch with a hint of grind and grunt without being overly thumpy and thuddy like some traditional flats.

@Linnin, what bass do you have them on? I personally find them a great match for my Fender Jazz.

RumbleMan3, Root 5, rodl2005 and 2 others like this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    No, I didn't find that at all. In fact bright & clangy were things on my list of avoidance.
    I have them on a custom made bass that I won in a contest put on by Seymour Duncan. It took three years and a lawyer to get the bass from the maker. I wanted something super simplistic like the original single coil 1951-57 Fender Precisions that Sting adores so much. I don't know if Fender made any of them left handed not that i could actually afford one if it were available for sale. Anyway this is the pickup: A simple four pole single coil Seymour Duncan SCPB-3
    bbg_883.jpg

Phaidrus and Zoobiedood like this.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I didn't pick GHS Precision Flats as I already have a Fender Precision very pleasantly strung in these flats.

I didn't pick D'Addario Chromes as they are too bright; clangy, and twangy. So no, no, and again no.

I didn't pick LaBella's Jamerson set. Dead; Dull, Thumpy, and Thuddy are all terms that are bandied about with impunity on TalkBass. This stringset is the very embodiment of those terms. No thank you.

I didn't pick .050-.110 Dunlop Flats due to their reputation for 'modern' tone.

I almost picked the Steve Harris signature Rotosound flats, but didn't.

Phaidrus, FranF and Vinnie Boombatz like this.
  5. Eikari

Eikari

Jun 21, 2015
    Iceland
    I have only used 9050L (45-100). Like them very much. Does the tone change much with thicker strings, or is it just a tension preferences for bass players?

RumbleMan3 likes this.
  6. My experience is only with the 9050L and the 9050CL (45-60-80-105), the only difference being the E string. The 105-E definitely DOES balance better with the rest both in tone and tension (ie stiffness).

I'm not daring enough to try the 55-G and 70-D ever.

Phaidrus likes this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes, very much so. Bigger. More Solid. Meaty Punch.

Phaidrus and RumbleMan3 like this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh:

bonruiz likes this.
  9. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    I always say Fenders on a Fender...love my Fender flats

disclaimer: my gear below, I am experimenting with Dunlops

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    RumbleMan3, bonruiz and Linnin like this.
  10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I love them. For people thinking about trying Chromes, 9050s should always be one of the contenders. I have the 9050CL set. Not sure if that set is still offered, but you can see if Jason at BSOL can make a CL set.

bonruiz and Linnin like this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I researched the Dunlops as their .050 - .110 set interested me. It was the reports of 'modern' tone that turned me off. The deliberate manufacturing gaps in the flat ribbon wire wrap on both the E & A strings are a no go. A smooth gapless flat wrap is important to me.

bonruiz likes this.
  12. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    gaps ? that sounds so bizarre...how did you find that out?...

13. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    ".....a contest put on by Seymour Duncan. It took three years and a lawyer to get the bass from the maker."

that sounds like an interesting story ....did you ever tell the tale in a thread here

14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Reluctantly, yes. I don't know why the photos are blocked, but here you go.
    New Buddy Blaze Bass Day

edencab likes this.
  15. I had a set of those lying around for a good three years. The initial brightness turned me off, and instead of patiently waiting for them to mellow into perfection like the GHS flats I've since adopted, I fecklessly cast them aside to join the endless ranks of fellow paper-sleeved steel coils in my closet.

Then about half a year ago, I was tasked with replacing the nickel rounds on my sister's Mustang with "something bassier"... on a whim, I decided to take the 9050Ms for a test drive. Couldn't have found a better match! The fresh top-end zing (which I'm deadly allergic to) wore off in about a week, and they breathed a whole new old-school vibe into the bass. I find that the focused mids as you describe are the perfect counterbalance to the Mustang's inherent tubbiness, giving it just enough edge to cut through the mix without sacrificing an ounce of thump. The added stiffness is a definite plus on the shorter scale, too.

I'm almost tempted to get another set to try out on my Jazz again... but I'm not sure removing a year-old set of GHS P flats is within my emotional capabilities :D.

Linnin likes this.
  16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Well said! I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup: I am also highly allergic to zing (;)) of which, thankfully, I didn't find any. :D Fender Flats! Feel The LOVE :D

Noooo! Don't you dare remove those precious GHS Precision Flats. At a year old you are just entering into yet another realm of sonic excellence. :bassist: Also the lower tension is far kinder to your Jazz's neck.

Phaidrus, bonruiz and SasquatchDude like this.
  17. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    I put a set of the 55-105s on my 64 PBass and glory glory hallelujah! The OP describes it well.

Phaidrus and Linnin like this.
  18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Bless you Friend! May the joy of years be yours.

Phaidrus and PaperbackRyder like this.
  19. I just remembered reading somewhere this is the set Esperanza Spalding uses on her Fender fretless J.

Linnin likes this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    In that case, I am a Saint!

bonruiz likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021