1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Original Basses ... ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Yeah... it may be arguable to a certain extent ...

2. You will see what happens at NAMM and maybe report on the forum for those who don't live in the USA or who can't be there for other reasons ... it will be an interesting thread

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Their intent is to sell fanboys and fangirls the exact same instruments without changing much.

I guess if it works, it works... but it's a bit boring at this point.

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have the P bass I always wanted - built it myself with Warmoth parts, my own finish, etc.

If I had to do it over again, yes, I think it's probably quicker to build one yourself than to spend the time necessary to slog through all of Fender's offerings, eventually figure out what model is best for you, and then try to find it in a store.

Of course, even after I found the Fender model I liked best, I'd have to change the pickups, tuners, etc, to the ones I prefer. And, of course, shield the damn thing.

If you wanna talk J bass, well, my J has a P shaped body and neck, so..can't see Fender doing that any time soon.

5. markbvt

markbvt

Jan 4, 2018
    True, but who can afford those things? If I could afford that kind of money for a bass, I'd just stop by Creston Guitars down the road in Burlington, Vermont, and order exactly what I want for substantially less money than a Master-Built CS model.

But I can't afford that, so I guess if I feel the need for another bass, I'll probably build one myself out of a Warmoth body and USA Custom Guitars neck. Or just buy a used AVRI. :)

--mark

6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I made a correction to your post :) There is no other motive than that.

pudgychef likes this.
  7. If you're FMIC, here's the problem:

You have four core products (Strat, Tele, Jazz Bass, Precision Bass) that have been in continuous production since the 1950's. You have a large corporation with thousands of employees and several factories that have to stay profitable. You have to keep selling to enable everything to continue. And you have over time been unable to establish any new hot-sellers with the staying power of your four core products.

So, the constant pressure of 'This Year's Model' is huge, as you must stay faithful to the original, yet offer something to make customers reach for their wallet, which is a very tricky balancing act. Made even more complicated by the fact that guitar players are far more conservative in what 'new' they'll accept, and bassists who want something a bit more modern or different will quickly run to Lulls or Sadowskys for a modern take, or the boutique builders for a completely different take on bass. In other words, Fender almost by tradition CAN'T get real modern real fast.

So you see what we've seen for quite a while now: Endless variations on the cornerstone models, and the endless rotation of the model names is part of their way to convince you that THIS one is the latest and greatest.

And I take a completely different view on the Custom Shop pieces: Save for the few truly amazing 'magazine cover' pieces, it's a left-handed comment that their regular production pieces ain't all that, and that you should be honored to pay 4 or 5 grand for instruments you could screw together yourself: I promise you there is no Magic Fairy Dust in them. But, it's another contributor to their cash flow, so I totally 'get it'.

I do not envy them in this task.

For me personally, and probably like a lot of you, I could spec exactly what I want in a Precision or Jazz, buy all the parts separately, and build (or have assembled by someone qualified) exactly the Fender I always wanted, but they don't offer as a catalog item I can buy at a dealer. The aftermarket parts market is huge for these classics, and is exactly why a Squier or MIM is plenty good enough for me as I can modify it to exactly what I want cheaper than I could buy an Elite or Custom Shop piece, if I didn't assemble one from scratch. Your results may vary . . . . .

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Those that can, will. It is the nature of life.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am not knocking Fender at all. They have a history and "fan base" that is huge. But in the end, they are screw together basses. A new Pino for example is like $4,900. That is a lot of money for a parts bass. They may be nice parts, but still...I could get a new P bass from a custom builder that would look a lot like a Pino, easily be of the same quality or better and cost 1/2 the price...and if I called the shop the owner would probably answer the phone. I am bias as I do play a one of these basses, which you could argue is a parts bass as well. Maybe so, but at least it seems a more "reasonable" price for what you get - and some would argue even that is too much.

I guess in the end they have to do what they have to do and people who want to wade through all the options will. People will pay what they want for the bass they want. AS always, I guess it's great that we have options that please all of us.

Pbassmanca and GBBSbassist like this.
  10. I tend to agree...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    OOPS, I accidentally woke up from my medically induced coma. 6 more days? Good night all.

12. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    The mix of classic and modern in the new Original Series almost suggests (to me) a attempt at a 'high-end' take on the same idea that gave us Squier Classic Vibes; hallmark 'look' and selected features of certain eras ,with modern aspects (9.5r for instance) and production techniques.

The MIM Classic Series remains a very high quality option (before CS) for folks wanting vintage neck specs etc. Great basses imho.

I would be very keen on a 50s style bass, with the wide nut, but flatter radius...only reason I parted with my MIM Classic 50s.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

The Classic 50's series Precisions are so good that Fender will surely kill them off before long. Nothing great at a good price point sticks around forever at Fender.

14. MO Jaybird

MO Jaybird

Jan 19, 2018
    Hi gang, new member here.

What’s with the long looking stems on some of the tuners in the pictures of the Original Basses? Looks goofy.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I don't know what there trying to do. I wouldn't buy one simple because I'm picky about setups and you have to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod. That is a deal breaker for me. Do what EB does, vintage anniversary tributes with modern updates please.

I own three Jazz basses, and I wouldn't call any of them modern. I think the 9 1/2 inch radius is stone age and is the other reason I won't buy another fender bass until the finally offer something with a modern feel (not necessarily sound)

jd56hawk likes this.
  16. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I'm not buying a $2000 bass that has to have the neck taken off to adjust the trussrod.

17. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That heel adjust trussrod ̶ ̶B̶U̶G̶ "feature" was fervently lobbied for by the union of guitar setup technicians :)

18. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    They actually do include pickup and bridge covers. If you look at the parts layout .pdf for each of the new models, the show the covers included. Also, a TB'er who works for Fender mentioned in one of the other threads about these basses that they are included.

Personally I will reserve judgement until I demo one. They are a touch cheaper than the AVRI, and some new colors, so those are bonuses, so that's something.

19. Gosh.. looking at the road-worn 50s P bass in 3TS with that anodized pickguard ... drooldrooldrooldrooldrool ... if only i could play on wide nut necks easily ....

20. Correct, the price is quite attractive (still wonder what happened in this regard, however)... I'll check the parts list on the FMIC website ... thanks