1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Original Basses ... ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati, Jan 19, 2018.

1. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I think you’ve hit the nail squarely on the head. And FWIW, I think Fender’s doing a pretty good job, all things considered. Fender has an important heritage to preserve, and they have to deliver something fresh AND classic at regular intervals. That’s not easy to do. A lot of the people who keep second-guessing Fender are just considering their own needs and wants, but Fender has to take a broader view in order to stay in business.

Glazenn, Blaargh and Son of Wobble like this.
  2. lhindrum

lhindrum

Mar 3, 2013
    I just bought one of the 60's Jazz Basses and I'm loving it. I bought it basically because I wanted a quality American instrument with a nitro finish and this fit the bill perfectly. As others have mentioned I'm also expecting the year specific instruments to become custom shop exclusive. Maybe it's just me, but I can see the sense in this decision.

Glazenn and pudgychef like this.
  3. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    The white Tony Franklin was the only one I really wanted. Priced out of my range, unfortunately.

4. I’m happy for you but, in my opinion, it would have been easier to offer the Am. Pro. model with an option for nitro finish and, maybe, matching headstock or custom colours ... by the way, did they give you the pickups covers in the box? Did the bass have holes already to install them?

5. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    I don't think the AP and the AO feature the same neck to start with; same fingerboard radius, yes, but not neck shape.
    And of course, they feature different hardware, pickups, headstock, even body shape.

6. lhindrum

lhindrum

Mar 3, 2013
    Fair point. There are holes in the pickguard but not in the body.

7. Correct ... but those of the Am. Pro. are objectively better especially in terms of how you manage the truss rod ... in short ... I like the idea but I can’t justify enough a line of basses with those characteristics although the price is quite attractive ... waiting for other opinions of users who bought them

8. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    The whole point of the vintage Fender lines is, I believe, to have an instrument that looks and feels like the ones our heroes had back in the day. So, an AO having a nitro finish does not fall into that. Even if many are complaining about the truss rod access (which I really understand), many may find it part of the whole vintage character.

On the other hand, I can't see any point for someone that has everything he/she needs with an AO to be irritated with Fender offering something he/she doesn't need. :)

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    New instrument sales are down for every manufacturer. They are trying to come up ways (in my opinion gimmicks) to get people to buy new.

10. Of course ...

Midak likes this.
  11. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Hey there, welcome. I know what you're talking about, but I like the look. Each to there own bro!;)

12. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    I'll bet...lol. It's crap.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. TBH I also like the long stemming the ninth pegs ;)

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    I don't see what's the point with the covers. Very few players use them, most don't, or even find it's just bothering. I mean use them as a playing help (like Marcus Miller with the neck pickup cover used as a thumb rest). Mine on my AVRI '62 Jazz are both still in their paper wrapping.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  15. Alain Decont

Alain Decont

Jan 15, 2018
    Hi everybody! To those who got one of this ¨new brand Fender¨,can you guys show some pics and/or talk about the sound and feel of the instrument,please?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. Waiting for one in candy apple red ...

17. So do the AOs come with the chrome pickup and bridge covers in the case? I'm one of those players who like and use them. The Fender specs are silent about them.

18. For what I know yes they do.

19. walkbassman45

walkbassman45 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
  20. That LPB P-Bass is the one AO that gives me some GAS.