1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Original Basses ... ????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati, Jan 19, 2018.

1. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    If it's too confusing, just pretend you're like me - left handed; and look again. It will be much, much simpler....:meh:

2. walkbassman45

walkbassman45 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    Plays great.I honestly like it just as much as the custom shop. For some reason, with the flatter radius and a nice set of TI flats it seems easier to play up and down the neck.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Mine did.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  4. The LPB on those basses seems richer and less silvery than some other Fenders I've seen. Beautiful.

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I actually didn't expect them to be as nice until I saw it in person. They are sweet basses.
    Edit: Also, the Clay dots on the fret-board are gorgeous as well. The Rosewood is beautiful. The grain on the neck is very straight and looks like it'll stay true for a lifetime. The 'Pure Vintage'63 Pickups have already been established as terrific. All in all it's a pretty great bass.

6. walkbassman45

walkbassman45 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    Yes. What do you think of the G&G case? It's not the usual Fender G&G bass case. I like the large center box with the better neck support.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  7. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Gorgeous!! I am GASing for that one.

8. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    I was at GC today and looked at two fender american original basses..thats all the label said..but what I couldnt believe was both of these had cheap logo decals on the headstock..both of which were coming off..absolutely would not have a fender bass unless the logo was down in the finish..a decal is absolutely cheap looking..and these instruments were priced around the $1600 range..before you buy..take a good look at the logo and see how it is on the headstock..these looked like scotch tape on the head stock with letters underneath..really looked bad..

9. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    That's how logos were in the 50s and 60s.
    I personally love it. :)

10. Correct ... in fact I didn’t know this, so I wanted to test the situation ... results the bottom of the Fender F was peeling off :)
    Then I made some research and I learnt that, in effect, logos were not protected by the finishing layer in those years !

Midak likes this.
  11. By the way, Blaze Barlow, just played my Am. Orig. ‘60s jazz bass and it’s truly a great jazz bass ... great rosewood, great neck, good pickups ... thumbs up ;):thumbsup:

12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing back in 2006. It’s amazing to me that they’re still here.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. HLH2k1

HLH2k1

Apr 19, 2016
    I think LPB is one of those colors that is significantly different in appearance in Nitrocellulose versus poly. That and they may have made an exact color match of an original from a specific year, and any original would have some inherent aging regardless of how it's been kept and used.

My 1993 poly "MIM" Jazz bass (pictured) looks completely different (in person, it's more clear) and it has "aged" for 25 years in my possession.
    IMG_5782 (2).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Pet Sounds and Pbassmanca like this.
  14. My CAR jazz bass in nitro (Am. Original) has got a finish that can’t be matched by any good polyurethane varnishing job ... I didn't know about the the existence of such a difference, but it is there and I’m honestly appreciating its features more and more, day after day ...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Midak and Pbassmanca like this.
  15. speez

speez

Mar 28, 2016
    Beautiful!