1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender american vintage 63 precision soundclips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cigi, Mar 2, 2013.

1. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Hello

I'm interested in buying a 63 precision bass. Does anyone have soundclips of this bass (or can you record some)?

I know there's a video from Fender but the way it is played doesn't do it justice I think. The 58 reissue sounds really good in the video.

Thanks!

Timothy

2. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    The '58 does sound lovely I agree. I would say that's partly down to the mute being set just right. The '63 demo highlights the grindy pick sound which some would prefer.

3. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Yes idd, and I think the 58 is strung with flats as to roundwounds on the 63. I would suspect the tone is rolled of on the 58 and wide open on the 63.

4. they also played through amplifiers and post edited the recordings professionally.
    DI recorded, unedited samples or a common amplifier that everyone knows the sound of would be helpful.

5. Do you mean a new bass or a pre-CBS bass?

Davo

6. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    No I mean the new American Vintage Reissues. That wasn't to clear, thank you for pointing that out. :)

7. actually it was clearer before as they are indeed called american vintage now rather than american vintage reissue

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The new "vintage" '63 bass is on my wish list. I don't think they're avail in black / rosewood which is too bad; I'd love to make my own Phil Lynott tribute bass out of one.

9. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I am also looking for sound clips too.

I know there are Kats out there that have these and their take on their new bass sounds good, BUT no videos yet???..C'mon guys..and gals..We want to hear what your new instrument sounds like.

PLEASE!!!!

10. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    As expected, though, the only people who are going to read this thread are those looking for said clips, not those who have made them...

11. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Not to sound like a pessimist or a skeptic or a "know it all" but no 2 bass guitars ever sound the same.

And, in addition.....................

And even if someone or many provide sound clips of an AVRI P Bass, there are soooooo many variables that affect the sound. Eqing, strings, pick, fingers, area of plucking, speakers, amp, light or heavy plucking................many, many things.

It's best to try out as many P Basses as you can, in person in order to decide how an X, Y or Z, P Bass sounds.

I would not put too much creedence in sound clips (as if our computer's cheesy little speakers can do justice in producing quality sound.).

12. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I agree, but still I'd like to hear some clips. :) Alltough a well recorded clip trough my AKG headphones can tell me something about the bass.

I'm going to NY in april and will check them out and buy one if I find one I really like.

13. to me sound samples are only useful when they are DI with no eq, no amp.
    given that, i would disagree with the point you're making. even though there are slight differences where you pointed them out, the general tone of the bass, the instrument's character can be heard easily.
    and it is safe to assume that other guitars of that line will sound the same.

also good quality head phones will do the job just fine especially if that sound clip is uploaded to youtube.

14. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
  15. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is there any reason to think that they will sound different than the AV'62RIs that have been around?

Did the original '62s sound different than the original '63s?

16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If I had the means to post quality soundclips of my '58, I would. But I'm not gonna go on youtube with a crappy iPhone video...that won't help anyone. Ill see if my gui**** can hook something up.

17. there are not many '62 sound samples either.

18. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I suggest you check the american vintage waiting room threads for the first question. Some say there is, others say there isn't. I think they will sound different.

19. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    The biggest thing changed from 62-63 is the 62 has a slab rosewood board where the 63 will have the Veneer rosewood board, otherwise they are pretty much the same. Maybe the 63 will be a little brighter & snappier.

20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

They have different pickups as well.