1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bass - 2, 3, 4 Piece Body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ross McLochness, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    So I had a Fender Select P that I know was a two piece body. I now have a Road Worn P. In looking it over I can only find one seam. Is it possible some Road Worns are two piece bodies or is it more likely that the two tone burst simply conceals the one seams? Just curious.

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i might have to see a pic to answer your question because you just never know. it may have five pieces and a veneer top and bottom.

3. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Ohhhh............gotcha.
    I didn't realize they did that (veneer top and bottom).
    I bet your right.

4. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    For what its worth a moderator in Fender's official forum confirmed RW's are 2 or 3 piece Alder bodies with no veneer.

pacojas likes this.
  5. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    No veneer on Roadworns.

pacojas likes this.
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    good news! ;)
    i was just guessing, but i'm glad you got the right info! i love the RW series and would be bummed if they were veneered. :)

ps: on third thought,.. it would be near impossible to hide a veneer on a RW, lol

7. tortburst

tortburst Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2007
    New Jersey
    My Roadworn precision is two piece.

image. image.

pacojas and Ross McLochness like this.
  8. 2boom

2boom

Jan 29, 2016
    Hawaii
    New here....
    Any idea how many pieces used for a 57 AVRI built 2010 or so? I am learning a lot from you good people here.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Roadworns have no veneer, so could just be what it looks like. I was happy to find decent three piece bodies under the fiesta red of two Classic 50's MIM's I stripped as well. I posted it in a thread ages ago but can't find it.

10. It is just cosmetics anyway, the glue is stronger than the wood and many '60s Fenders are 3, 4 or 5 part bodies. The famous early '80s reissues often have 3 or 4 part bodies and reach astronomic prices on the used market.
    Two and more piece bodies are from an engineers point of view preferable to one piece bodies... The later could warp easier.

This said: when I bought my first halfway expensive Yamaha bass in the late '80s - a BB1100s - I was dissapointed and kind of felt betrayed after I found out that it had a 4 piece body. Back then I thought at least all US made Fenders would have 2 piece bodies.
    I remember a story about Fender's US reissue of the '75 Jazzbass in ash: an artist complained that it had a two or 3 piece-body and Fender sent him a one piece bass back.