1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 100T Chapter 3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 27, 2013.

1. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Well, here's an update to my post #1338. I went ahead and sold the pair of Barefaced One10 cabs (which sounded awesome), and got the matching Fender 410 Neo cab to go with my 100T amp. I love this rig!!! :)

And yes, I know.....pic or it didn't happen. So here's the pic:

Fender amp.JPG

2. These are great amps. I had a tube go bad on a gig a few weeks ago - it still played decently though a little gravelly - retubed completely with Tung Sols, and now it's really an incredible amp.

SactoBass likes this.
  3. Do you think it sounds better with the Tung-sol tubes. than with the stock Groove Tubes?

4. trebbihm

trebbihm

Dec 7, 2014
    Inland Empire
    I put 4 Tung Sols in my 100t last year. They seem a bit “softer” than the stock tubes. The highs are less jagged, the bottom end is more “pillowy” and the breakup is a smoother. The amp definitely lost some edge, but I appreciate the way it sounds on the vintage channel more now.

rodl2005 and SactoBass like this.
  5. SactoBass

Which particular Tung Sols did you install and where did you buy them?

6. SactoBass

Which particular Tung Sols did you install and where did you buy them?

7. trebbihm

trebbihm

Dec 7, 2014
    Inland Empire
    Tung-Sol 6L6GC STRs from Tube Depot, at a higher bias point. 19 on their scale.

SactoBass likes this.
  8. SactoBass

Cool! Thanks! :thumbsup:

trebbihm likes this.
  9. SactoBass

@trebbihm: I was poking around on various tube sites, and some of the vendors provide a choice of "soft, medium, or hard" for the 6L6GC STR tube. Soft meaning breakup occurs earlier, and hard meaning more resistance to breaking up (more headroom). Medium is somewhere in between. One vendor calls it low, medium, and high. You said you selected a higher bias point. Is that equivalent to the "hard" version?

10. trebbihm

trebbihm

Dec 7, 2014
    Inland Empire
    Basically, yes. They have their own rating system that although thorough, only makes sense inside their system. I can’t seem to access TD’s literature on mobile at the moment, you might be able to google it. Higher numbers mean “harder” ratings.

Edit -nvm, found it: Analog In

rodl2005 and SactoBass like this.
  11. SactoBass

Thank you! :thumbsup:

trebbihm likes this.
  12. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    It's my all-time favorite rig. Gigging 2 - 4 times a month for 7 years now and beyond the initial auto-bias fix the originals needed, it's been trouble-free.

Tim1 and SactoBass like this.
  13. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    It's weird but I had an opposite opinion of the Tung-Sols. I felt they were too clean, too fast. May sound odd but I thought it sounded more solid state with the Tung-Sols. Put the Groove Tubes back in and there was the big ol' kinda pillowy tube sound. It was kinda my general thought that the Tung-Sols would likely be the choice for hi-end home or studio tube amps, but not my choice for a vintage tube bass amp sound. Of course this all boils down to personal preference, also how I use tone and gain vs. another player which would affect how the power tubes are hit. Your settings and style will be a factor.

SactoBass and rodl2005 like this.
  14. trebbihm

trebbihm

Dec 7, 2014
    Inland Empire
    Very interesting. Those STRs are the only other tubes I’ve put in the 100t, so I can’t draw too many conclusions. That said, I was surprised at how big of a difference the new power tubes made. Perhaps I’ll put the old ones in and see what kind of reaction I get.

SactoBass likes this.
  15. SactoBass

@Freight Train: do you happen to know if the Tung Sols you tried were the soft, medium, or hard tubes?

16. Freight Train

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    I can't remember but I think I went medium. I'm looking at the boxes and the tubes and don't see any indication. I should have marked them. Think I may pop them into my PF-50T and see what it thinks.

SactoBass likes this.