Fender BXR 400???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suasa, Dec 1, 2003.

1. hey everyone,
    okay i have said in the past that i was gonna buy a yorkville and what not, but i just havnt been able to dish out that much money for something i havnt tried. so anyway i was searchin around on ebay today and i found a fender bxr 400. Its just a amp right so i would need to buy a preamp and what not for it am i right? i dont know anything about amps. Has anyone played one of these and also can i get 400 watts into one speaker wiht this amp because i read somewhere that you cant put both outputs into one cab wiht this amp. I just need to know what else i woudl need to get to run this amp and what it sounds like if it is worth $400 canadian and all that good stuff basically anything anyone can tell be about it. Oh and i play punk/rock and some jazz when i am in the mood i am playing through a Ibanez srx300 and thats about all folks. thanks ahead of time.

2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I had one years ago. It weighs at least 50#.

It has a preamp built-in with 2 input jacks on the front.

If I recall correctly, it is not designed for bridged use so you can have (2) channels at 200w each into a 4 ohm load, but you cannot push 400w into a single load. It has a built-in crossover for biamp use.

I thought it was a decent amp, but I don't think I'd pay over $350 USD for one. It has no cooling fan and runs pretty warm.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :( My BXR 400 was stolen! I did a million gigs with it and it was a good reliable amp with enough volume for most situations. The compressor sucked. And I didn't particularly like the bi-amp feature. But all that EQ meant I could make it sound like anything.

You won't need a preamp, it has one already. But it is indeed 2 seperate 200w power amps that can't be bridged. I always used mine with 2 cabs, usually the matching BXR 15 (which I still have somewhere), and a Trtace 2x10.

You're bring back memories...............
  4. ok thanks guys but as i have said i know nothing about amps i know ohms and what not and understand that but what is a "biamp". also anymore info would be greatly appreciated.
  5. Here is a recent thread about bi-amping . It's when you send high frequencies to one speaker and low frequencies to another. This is done to take advantage of the unique qualities of different speakers sizes.

You will also need to buy a speaker. Those come in many different sizes and configurations (ex. 2x10, 4x10, 1x15, 1x18...etc).

If you buy the head and you hate the sound, you can try improving it with a device called a Samsamp Bass Driver DI. It costs about $275 CDN new but dramatically improves your tone.
  6. Yeah, I have severe phobia of fender bxr's. I was lined up to a bxr200 (sry, havent tried a 400) and a bxr 410 and 115. But, then I got the new yorkville and a 410 as it was a couple hundred bucks cheaper, and new, and imho, sounded, without hyperbole, a bazillion times better :) . They are, however, reliable amps and 400 canadian is not a bad price.
  7. how do u guys think the bxr400 and a pair of 12s each runnning at 200 watts would sound. and what kinda 12s should i get but remember i need em cheap. i wanna get 2 different speakers so i can get the full power of the amp.thanks

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I had one of those once. First used a Hartke 4x10, then a 2x10 1x15 setup. It sounded ok, but IMHO my Peavey sounds better-in fact, many Peaveys I have heard sound better.

For some strange reason, I even think my BXR 100 gets a better tone-but hey, thats me.

Oh, and it is a heavy amp! But a decent one. If you can get it at a good price, and you like the sound, go for it.

Hope that helps!
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia