1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special Pickguard Issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrodieMan13, Mar 15, 2008.

1. I didn't really know where to put this thread, so I put it here...

I plan on purchasing a black Fender Deluxe P-Bass, but the gold pickguard is so gaudy and ridiculous. I want to switch it up for a tortoise shell one, but I can't find one that has enough control knob holes. The bass needs 4, and the only ones I've been able to find have 3...

Ideas?

Thanks,
    BrodieMan13

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  3. aviador

aviador

Feb 9, 2008
    Or you can buy one with 3 holes and make the 4th by yourself. If you can't take it to someone else to do it. It isn't so difficult to do it if you know exactly where to make the hole

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    True, assuming that the first three are in the same place...

5. stewmac.com, eh...?

I suppose I could cut out holes and rearrange the pieces where I need to.

Thanks, guys!

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The problem is that the three holes are evenly spaced along the electronics cavity. As far as I can tell, you couldn't put in a fourth hole without it looking goofy.

7. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    Its not just the knob holes you need to worry about.

the pickquard screws are not aligned exactly like the 13 hole MIA Pickquards. As I found out with a B/W/B PG I bought @ GC and modded the 4th Hole. The PG has very small gaps in two corners.

I spoke to the owner of pickguardian and He is all to familiar with the screw mount issue that actualy varied yr to yr.

Solution ship your gold PG to
    http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/

another option is www.sharp-concepts.com
    for a Metal pickgaurd
    I will try to contact sharp concepts when I have the time since I am not 100% with the new B/W/B PG I fit in.

8. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    By the way I also spoke to Warmoth & they passed on this custom PG request & actually refered me to Pickguardian.
    Also I have a Black & Maple Mim D'lux P and I loves it.

9. Hmm... well, damn.
    I don't really want a metal pickguard, so sharp-concepts is out.
    Also, it seems as though pickguardian only deals with Rickenbacker guitars...?
    Can they do a Deluxe P?

Is the Deluxe P everything a Fender enthusiast who wants versatility could hope for?
    What could be better? Obviously it needed a setup, but what else is left to be desired?

10. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
  11. Ah-ha!
    Thanks, low-endz, and everyone else :)

12. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Did you check guitar parts resource? I vaguely remember seeing the p/j pick guards there... dunno about the holes. guitarpartsresource.com

13. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    guitarpartsresource.com has only Pick Guards for MIA P & as I stated the MiM Deluxe P has slightly diff aligned mount holes.