1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Deluxe Passive Tone Mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by topaxi, Nov 21, 2018.

1. 0.01uf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 0.022uf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 0.03uf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 0.047uf

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. topaxi

topaxi

Sep 29, 2018
    Hey Yall,

I'm swapping out the pups and electronics in my Squier J bass for the pups and electronics from a Deluxe series bass (among many other mods). It doesn't look like that model has a passive tone control though, just the preamp EQ. So I'd like to swap out the treble pot for a stacked pot, with passive tone and active treble boost/cut. I'm fairly new to this and am trying to choose pots/cap values. Am I right in thinking a 500k pot is the way to go? And for a cap value, what would work best with the active system?

I've had a skim through this thread which seems to break down cap values a little but it's still a bit esoteric for me. Maybe 0.022 is the value I'd like? I want to have a lot of options, but this bass will probably sit at around a Jaco-esque tone for most of it's playing time.

What value cap might work best?

Edit: PS while we're here, can anyone point me to any good wiring diagrams? No idea where to wire the cap to the pot. Would love to put the tone before the preamp.

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    .047 is standard and a good place to start, but why don't you audition a few different values and chose what you like? Caps are cheap, and no you don't need those paper-in-snake-oil caps for $20 to sound good ;)