Fender Dimension preamp install using strat super switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flyguy909, Jan 28, 2017.

1. flyguy909

flyguy909

Mar 3, 2011
    Coventry, CT
    So I recently picked up a barely used Fender US Deluxe HH Dimension 5. Personal preference I know.. but I really like the looks with the smaller body compared to my Jazz 5. Only downside IMO is the preamp is just terrible sounding.. really narrow boost/cut range on the EQ.

I started investigating options and called David at Audere and talked to him about incorporating the 5 way switch into a preamp install. Ordered his 'Classic' preamp with 4 band EQ. - knobs are volume/balance/high mid and low mid stacked/bass and treble stacked. I also ordered a Strat super switch 5 way off ebay... the stock one is not usable.

I started trying to get my head around how to wire the 5 way because now that I have a balance knob, I don't need switch settings that are one or the other PUs. Was pretty confused on how to wire the switch, but after reading Stew Macs little article on how the super switch works it all clicked.

Contacted David again and what we decided on was this -
    1. neck inner + bridge inner
    2. neck outer + bridge inner and outer (Dave says this is the Lakeland sound?)
    3. neck inner and outer + bridge inner and outer (full on)
    4. neck inner and outer + bridge outer
    5. neck outer + bridge outer

Can't wait to hear if this wakes up the bass, but will have to wait for the super switch to arrive in a few days to find out.
    Final note - the pickups only have 3 wires each...kudos to David at Audere, he was a BIG help in helping me with the 5 way and how to wire it to the preamp. Also, looks like we're stuck with Fender's humbuckers. I thought maybe the actual pickup would pop out of the black weirdly shaped plastic housing, but looks like they do not. No aftermarket pups with this shape.

I will report back on how it all goes, but figure it HAS to be an improvement.

2. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    So how did it go?

3. Joshua_ryn

Joshua_ryn

Aug 10, 2017
    Yeah definitely interested to know. I've been literally contemplating doing the same thing since I grabbed my Dimension.

4. flyguy909

flyguy909

Mar 3, 2011
    Coventry, CT
    I detailed the install in the Fender Dimension Bass Club thread in the Basses forum. Try this link...
    Fender Dimension Bass Club

If it doesn't work, search for "fender dimension audere preamp" in that forum.

The Audere preamp dramatically improved the bass, but I ended up having to mod the strat 5-way switch to be able to isolate the coils because the pickups are only 3 wire... that part of the install was a real challenge. Check out the thread for details.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022