1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Flats... yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by echo008, Aug 24, 2007.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Guys,
    Just ordered a set of 9050's for my CS P bass
    I have been going back and forth with strings on this particular bass. I currently have a set of rotosound flats on there and I think I like them, Ive gigged the bass a few times with them as well as listened to them in the studio and although like I said, I like them I cant help but feel like theres something missing? maybe a little bit more top end (there kinda too muddy) .

Anyway how do you feel about your fender flats? I plan on leaving them on this bass for a long long time, Im hoping this set will age like a fine wine. please let me know you opinions...
    thanks
    - Tom

2. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    As far as I know, flats and top end aren't friends. :crying:

3. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    not looking for top end just a bit more bite

4. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Maybe Fender nickel rounds are more your ticket?

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Nay. The Fender flats sound fine, but they are way too tight. I used a set of them for about a week and then promptly switched them out for a set of D'Addario chromes.

I hear that TI's and Sadowsky flats have a bit more brigthness to them.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I used a set of 9050s for awhile and liked them. They are fairly high tension though. Only the Jamerson's by Labella are more high tension from what I have tried. To me the Chromes, have way too many highs for a flat.

7. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I dont think the tension will be a problem as long as I can keep my action nice and low, but Ill try them out and see for the time being, the rotosounds are just not for me....

Im thinking if I dont like the fenders Ill go for a set of Sadowsky's. I use the Nickels on my active bass and like them alot, I should have thought this out a little ore I probably would have picked up a set of those first... Oh well....

vtwo, maybe you are right about getting another set of nickels for this bass but I really wanted it to be "different" than my other bass, I really like the way flats play and I really think if I get the right set for me Ill absolutely LOVE the way they sound.
    - Tom

8. if you want bright, try some rs77lds rotosound flats

i wont play anything else

9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Roto flats are the brightest flats out there, imo.

Fender flats are great, and age very well (you may never need to change them), but they have less top end than just about any other string. All thump.

10. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    The rotos are great strings Im using a set of LD's now... and I like them, but when Im playing, I feel like Im trying to adjust my sound too much to try and get what I need out of them, maybe I just need to break them in a bit more they are only a couple months old, and I dont have alot of experience with flats this is the first bass Ive really tried to use them on.

- Tom

11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    The problem I had with them was that they were so tight I could not get my bass adjusted to my liking with them on it. Setups haven't been a problem with any of the other strings I have tried.

12. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    this is good to know and something Ill be aware of. too bad they are made with such high tension, from what Ive been reading online alot of people dig the way they sound.

13. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    i'm currently using 9050M (.55-.105) stainless fender flats on a MIM jazz. i'm lovin em. great value, under $20/set.
    i'm playing hard rock, btw. these should last a long long time.

fantastic lows + mids. can dial in major thump. heavy tension, tight, though thats ok. i don't like flop at all.

i *think* they'll compliment your p bass fine.

as far as setup, i find they play/sound great with action just a *tad* higher, enables digging in.

try em, see what you think, worth $20 to find out. as for me i'm v. happy with them.

------------duc

hey, echo, where are you on the island?

14. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I have a set coming to me as we speak, will be fun to try out.
    - Tom

15. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hey Im in East Rockaway, but I work in NYC.
    where are you at?

16. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    central suffolk co. good luck, i think you'll be liken em.

17. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    my drummer is from Mattituck, not sure how close that is to you... Anyway :)
    thanks
    -Tom

18. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    There's a VERY big difference in tension between the 9050M and 9050ML set, and they sound different to me, too. They are very good strings but seem to polarize opinion somewhat. Even broken in the MLs have a certain transparency and timbre that is quite unique- not bright but clean somehow while still being very thumpy. It's a quality a lot of SS flats have that I like. if you want to hear them in their purest form go see Aston Barrett with the Wailers, or turn up you old Marley recordings- he's always used them live you'll be swimming in the tone he gets from them.

That said, if you want a traditional sounding flat with some edge, there is nothing that approaches the Sadowsky flats for versatility and ability to sit in the mix or leap out if you dig in. They are just amazing strings and sound good on all kinds of basses.

Chromes are cool but they are bright, and really sound different bass to bass, I find.

19. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    +1 to one drop... I agree with everything he said!!

20. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks I appreciate these comments
    I have a set 9050 ML's coming, so these are not as high tension as the M's?
    thanks
    -Tom