Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender for Ampeg...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. D, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Some of the purist here will probably tell me I'm crazy. But.......I traded a '56 fender pro reverb for an new Ampeg BA-115.

I was in a computer shop a few weeks ago, and the Fedex man was talking to the tech about restoring an old amp he had in his garage. I asked him if he wanted to sell it. He said he would bring it by and let me look at it. Well, it looked a little ragged, and didnt work, so I offered him $50.00 for it. he said fine.

Last week a guy was over at my house, he worked at guitar center and offered me a new ampeg amp for it. Of course I took him up on it. I don't have time to restore it. A closer look at it revealed a solid maple cabinet, and it had the 2 original 12" speakers in it. (they were unhooked). We soldiered the wires on, and it worked.

I kinda wish I had kept it, but I like the new Ampeg.

2. Don't worry about it - $50 for a new BA115 is a great price :)

3. +1

I'd have made the same trade.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A '56 Pro Reverb? I don't believe that an amp fitting that description ever existed. IIRC, reverb was an outboard device until the blackface amps of the early/mid '60s (or maybe slightly before).

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If it was a black face model with 2 12s and 'verb, the earliest it could be is a '65. Easily sold for at least a grand, if the parts were all there.

Edit: that doesn't mean you did badly though, by any means. :cool:

6. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    It is a blackface, and the spring reverb is in the bottom of the cabinet. there is an original sticker inside the back of the cabinet showing the tube layout, as well as other spec's and it said mfg'd 56. Its gone now, so no worry.

The guy that sold that to me is coming by this week with 2 more thing for me to look at. He has them in the garage, and isn't using them. He says one of them is a specter bass that is about as old as the amp. and the other is a Locally made Solid (neck and body are 1 piece) custom made bass. He says it is mahogany. I might end up with some vintage equipt.

By the way, I did take pictures of it.(in case i wanted to kick myself in the but later)

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I just fix 'em, I'm not really into the vintage/collector thing. :cool: I own one of the least fashionable "vintage" Fender tube guitar amps ever made, and that's just fine by me.

That might be a date code for the 5th week of '66, or something like that. Those amps were produced from '65-67 only, for sure. The Fender Field Guide has a bunch of info on date codes, but it's moot now anyway, as you say. Best of luck with the basses!

-----------Charlie E