1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender history

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GODSBASSMAN, Jun 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Can't seem to find whether or not Fender ever offered a Jazz bass with natural ash body, maple neck and fret board. Is this missing? Passive not active. Any knowledge on this ?

2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    ajkula66 likes this.
  3. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    I thought that Marcus Millers original Fender bass from the seventies was exactly as you described? The ash/maple look is rather iconic in the Fender bass line, as far as Jazz basses go. I don't think the original bass was active?

ajkula66 likes this.
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Sure they did .. First couple years of the American Series (2000-'02) I had a couple of them ...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  5. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Well. Fender is now offering one in the "professional" model 2017 and as a V 5 string. I found out this in Fender.com basses lineup. Put one on order at local music store. I call that good timing for me?

okcrum likes this.
  6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Maple necks and natural bodies were noth standard options in the 1972 catalog, so that combination was easily available for at least ten years. And as GarretGraves said, Marcus Miller's bass started as a stock Fender product. Roger Safowsky putnthe preamp in it a good while after Miller nought the bass.