1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Hot Rod Precision Bass questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, May 12, 2011.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Hello everyone I just purchased a 2001 Fender Hot Rod Precision bass for $650, my concern is that there is something wrong with the bass for that price. ive seen all the pics of the bass and it looks great just a lil normal wear and tear from playin. My question is dont these normaly sell for way higher than $650. seems pretty low, or I am getting a great deal. What are your thoughts opinions on this? Just curious. Thanks Grower571

2. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    Great deal! Is it string thru body? If it isn't it's the California series which is somewhat like the highway 1's of that time

3. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    It is the USA Hot Rod series P bass, with strings thru the body. It look like its in great condition. Im just hoping theres nuthin wrong with the bass for that price. I couldnt check it out before buying.

4. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    SCORE! Did you buy it from a reputable member here on TB? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck.

5. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    EBAY......

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Sometimes you get a deal... sometimes you don't.

7. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    If it's healthy, you did well.

8. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Great basses.

9. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    Something wrong with it for that price? If it is as stated, and there's nothing wrong with the bass that you can find, you got a good deal. What could be wrong about that?

10. I love mine - been one of my main players for years! What color?

FWIW I've seen them go for high and for low. I got mine new in the high 7's so comparatively I think $650 is high (I'm NOT IN ANY WAY an authority on used prices) But I've seen them go higher. If it's sunset orange that also goes both ways. it is a discontinued color (my personal fav) which can attract more $$ but it's not for everyone...

my girls:
    [​IMG]

11. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I've had a few...I think I got them all used right around that price. It's too late for buyer's remorse, if you bought it you bought it...but when it gets to you and you find something wrong ebay is a great outlet for buyers to voice every single little opinion about every issue. They roll out the red carpet for 'em.

12. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    Ah, I see. Sorry. Somehow I didn't see this little tidbit of information. Here's hopin' you got a smokin' deal!

13. i got one on ebay for 500$

14. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Thanks for your well wishes guys. The bass should be here by about mid week this week. I have played these several times at quitar center, and immediatley wanted one due to my favorite bass players tone Duff Mckagan of G&R. I felt these hot rod precisions nailed that tone very closely. At the time when they came out in 99 thru 2001, I already had like 4 new basses, and could not justify buying another. If I could have only one bass the Hot Rod Precision would be it. I don't understand for the life of me why fender discontinued these. Maybe its so players will buy a jazz and a precision, the only problem with that is you cant get that P and J sound when both are combined, which is what i consider is a unique modern tone, which seemed to be used alot in the 80's, and 90's, and still to this day. Cmon fender bring these back, and I will probably buy a new one as well along with many other modern P bass fans . Of course they are prolly not for everyone, but they are my absolute favorite bass.

15. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    $650 is a good deal for a clean HRP.

I bought a new one in 2000 and sold it last year on TB for an even grand to an overseas buyer. However, the dollar/euro valuation thing may have helped me get that price as quickly as I did...it sold the day after the ad was posted. The bass was in pristine "as new" condition with a Fender Tolex case.

The only reason I sold it was because I got a new Tony Franklin fretted P which was pretty much the same bass specs-wise but I much prefer the 3-way pickup switching on the TF over the blend knob on the HRP.

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's more than they sell for in my market.

My GC had a beautiful near-mint one w/OHSC for $499 a while back and it took that price drop to sell. Not a scratch on it, no fretwear. They usually sell for less than a straight American series of the same vintage.

The HRPBs have some inherent problems with the pickups and controls and they are generally avoided by Precision buffs.

HRPBs used a unique set of pickups no other P or J had in order to more closely match output. The difference in the pickups exacerbated the V/V/T syndrome beyond belief. The volume controls won't mix and there are a lot of screwy artifacts. Fender dumped the model.

The one thing it does well is both pickups full-on, a unique sound.

I got a new 2001 (in that atrocious Sunset Orange) when they were blown out. If I were actually going to play it, I would replace one volume control with a three-way switch and possibly replace the pickups with conventional units.

17. Does anyone want to sell me one with a red/sunset orange body with a maple neck?

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Mine's rosewood, unfortunately.

A tip, which you may certainly disregard or dismiss if you wish: If you're a normal person, you'll probably get sick of the orange color pretty quick. Orange is a funny color, according to the industrial psychologists who got paid a lot to study it. People react strangely to it, being immediately attracted and then gradually repelled in short order. This is explicitly why coffee shop chains were so heavily orange in the past -- they wanted people to be pulled in and spend money but not hang around.

Funny, but that's exactly how those Sunset Orange instruments hit me: Colorful and attractive but quickly nauseating.

murphy likes this.
  19. I'm sorry to hear that. I've kinda been searching for a bass this color for over 8 months and my interest has only grown. Hopefully it continues to do so.

Yeah, I'm kinda on the hunt for those very few hot rod precisions with a maple neck. Post some pics though. ;)

20. I too seen a orange HRP with a maple neck and it has become my favorite looking bass ever made.. absolutely gorgeous.