1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Japan '62 reissue Precision Bass PB62-55 MIJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adam_aav, Aug 21, 2012.

1. adam_aav

adam_aav

Dec 6, 2009
    Hi All,

Currently looking at buying a P-Bass - and have been looking mainly at the 62 reissues. Found a MIJ with a E<6 digit> serial which dates to 84-87. wondering what experience any of you have had with these years and whether the quality of the product is worth it. I know ive read that most of the older basses have great bodies but some need hardware upgraded.... which isnt a great deal for me... i just want something that feels good, has a big neck (the 62RIs have the 42mm neck - hopefully its chunky enough) and has that classic P-Bass sound.

ANY ANY ANY suggestions or help would be MUCH appreciated!

A

2. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I had one... and it was a great P-Bass! Light, super nice neck... no changes needed for me (and I'm a modder!)

3. adam_aav

adam_aav

Dec 6, 2009
    when you say light.... this one is about 4.5kg.... whts the normal weight of them?

4. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    They're usually very light because the bodies are usually basswood or at least the two that I've owned were. Not sure of the body weight, but both were about 7.5 Ibs total. My only complaint was the tuners are cheap; otherwise they're nice instruments.

5. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

Jun 8, 2008
    I have a MIJ E-series P, bought it new, no problems with it. About the only thing I could quibble with is the shielding. Great tone, low action, best neck of the basses I currently have and better than most I used to have. I rarely play on-stage nowadays, but if I had to play a gig tonight, it's the bass I'm taking. Love it.

Attached Files:

6. adam_aav

adam_aav

Dec 6, 2009
    have just got some more pics of it - seems to be a little bit of cracking at the top of the neck near the nut. Any thoughts from anyone here? it almost appears that the fretboard is lifting slightly?

Attached Files:

7. adam_aav

adam_aav

Dec 6, 2009
    bumppppp.....

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Looks like the end of the fretboard beyond the nut broke off and was glued back on.

9. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Bump. Does it look like anyone has attempted a repair to that area already? A bad repair can really get in the way of getting it done right; like if they've got the crack filled with glue, but haven't properly brought the parts back into position. Someone else with more experience than me will post up no doubt, but that could come from either whacking the headstock (dropped in a gig bag) or a truss rod issue. Either way, that should bring the price down considerably.

10. adam_aav

adam_aav

Dec 6, 2009
    yeah that is kinda what i think has happened.... the end of the fretboard was broken off and its been glued back on at some stage in its life. US$668 is a bit of a gamble if i need to get a new neck for it. DAMN! all i want is a nice MIJ P-Bass... :)

11. adam_aav

adam_aav

Dec 6, 2009
    does anyone have experience in getting this fixed? is it a common thing? could it be a precurser for more issues (issue with truss rod perhaps?).

12. Make an offer. It probably is a nice bass, and the repair would not effect playability or stability.... but you might be able to get a better price for it.

13. adam_aav

adam_aav

Dec 6, 2009
    have heard from my luthier that its about a $150-$200 fix, and most likely just a cosmetic one at that. it shouldnt effect playability. i have contacted seller to see if they will change price for me. who knows..... THANKS all that have helped here :)

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    For what it's worth, I have a Japanese E-Series P, and it's one of my favorites of the basses I own. I can't speak for the fretboard issues on the one you're looking at; but generally, these are very well-made basses.

When I got mine, it looked great and sounded pretty good. I ended up swapping the original pickup for an SPB-1. That switch took it from "This is a nice bass" to "Damn! What a killer bass!" :D

IMG_0351.

15. bluespenny

bluespenny

Mar 17, 2009
    uKb4U.

This is a 1992 PB-62EX I just picked up a couple of weeks back. I absolutely adore the thing - it's made the rest of my basses dusty neglected wall ornaments.
    The neck is huge, but beautifully finished. Weight is about 9 pounds. The whole fit and finish of the bass is stunning - and that's compared to both Japanese and recent high-end Amercian Fenders I've played regularly, like the 60th anniversary Jazz.
    I love the pickup, though I can't say if it's U.S. or Japanese - real P-Bass thump, with lots of tone change through the dial. I have a Japanese aerodyne and it kills that P-bass pup.
    Not thrilled with the tuners - they're just okay. And I may get a spiral bridge for the sake of it. Otherwise, wow.

16. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I have a MIJ 62 RI Jazz and it's a fantastic bass. I'd love to have a matching P bass.

17. I have an 86 Jazz MIJ and the bass is killer.

I would be tempted to keep on the lookout for one w/o damage though. Mine was a Squier and was a steal at $300.

Davo

18. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The E series...mm mm mm mm mm. lovely. I'm taking mine to the grave. Everyone who I've let play it instantly understands why it's literally the most amazing bass ever.

Can't really speak for the damage on that one though...were it not for that I would say buy it instantly.