1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Japan Limited Edition Basses for 2019

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimHouchin, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JimHouchin

JimHouchin

Mar 19, 2016
    Fender Unveils Limited Edition Made In Japan Basses

Looks like five reissue basses from Japan! Two of them are basswood! Can't wait to see them in the wild. THE PINK JAZZ WILL BE MINE! :)
    Capture.JPG

Fender has announced a new line of limited edition Made in Japan instruments including a handful of new basses. The new lineup includes models with traditional specs as well two with “hybrid” models: the Hybrid 50s Precision Bass and the Hybrid 60s Jazz Bass.

“These Hybrid models perfectly mesh the new with the old by taking famous Fender looks and adding player friendly modern specifications,” the company writes. “The recognizable alder body is upgraded with Vintage US pickups, and the satin-finished neck features medium jumbo frets and a 9.84″ (250mm) radius.”

The more replica-based instruments include a Traditional ’60s Jazz Bass, a Traditional Fretless 60s Jazz Bass, and a Traditional ’70s Jazz Bass. Each of the basses takes after a specific year. The ’60s Jazz recreates the ’62 Jazz Bass with a basswood body and rosewood fingerboard while the ’70s Jazz Bass has the ash body, bound neck, and block inlays of the ’75 Jazz Bass. They all have vintage-inspired pickups for old school tone.

The Fender Limited Edition Made In Japan basses debuted at the 2019 Winter NAMM Show. All of them carry a price point of $999.99.

Fender-Made-in-Japan-Traditional-70s-Jazz-Bass-Body-1000x667.jpg
    Fender-Made-in-Japan-Traditional-60s-Jazz-Bass-Fretless-Body-1000x667.jpg
    Fender-Made-in-Japan-Traditional-60s-Jazz-Bass-Body-1000x667.jpg
    Fender-Made-in-Japan-Hybrid-60s-Jazz-Bass-Body-1-1000x667.jpg
    Fender-Made-in-Japan-Hybrid-50s-Precision-Bass-US-Blonde-Body-1000x667.jpg
    Fender-Made-in-Japan-Traditional-70s-Jazz-Bass-Body-300x200.jpg
    Fender-Made-in-Japan-Traditional-60s-Jazz-Bass-Fretless-Body-300x200.jpg
    Fender-Made-in-Japan-Traditional-60s-Jazz-Bass-Body-300x200.jpg
    Fender-Made-in-Japan-Hybrid-60s-Jazz-Bass-Body-1-300x200.jpg
    Fender-Made-in-Japan-Hybrid-50s-Precision-Bass-US-Blonde-Body-300x200.jpg

2. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I can't seem to find a link on the Fender site for these yet.

3. Change your country to Australia. They have more colors.

I'm interested in the hybrid models. Love satin necks, and the cali blue and surf green look nice. The OWB hybrid p-bass is sweet too.

JimHouchin likes this.
  4. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken

Nov 23, 2015
    The link popped up on the Fender site a few days before NAMM but has since disappeared. Maybe shipping delays? In any case I am quite interested in the '60s hybrid Jazz.

JimHouchin likes this.
  5. JimHouchin

JimHouchin

Mar 19, 2016
    Interesting! Maybe they want to sell all the "Midnight P's" first.... (I Love mine!)

6. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    That pink one is awesome!

JimHouchin likes this.
  7. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    I started a thread on these a while ago, they were on Fender’s website for a little while at least, haven’t heard anything since. From what I could see, they all have “U” profile necks, which seems kind of odd to me, maybe a Fender Japan thing? Here’s a link to that thread.

New MIJ Fenders

JimHouchin likes this.
  8. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken

Nov 23, 2015
    Bumping-some of these are now available on CME’s website.

• 20190323_171017.jpg Hi Guys, I've bought the P Hybrid in blonde, I'm thinking of changing pickguard to Gold Anodized but I'm not sure, would love your opinion.

9. Robf

Robf Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Union City, CA
    Very interested! I find these MIJ Fenders every once in a while and seems like they are a nice change from the standard MIM vs MIA decision. Love the pink and the red 70's looks awesome. Any street prices announced?

* saw the other posting and the images show these are selling for $999.

10. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I dig the white pickguard in this case (esp. since the hardware is chrome)

Joe Capodicasa likes this.
  11. That was my worry, the gold clashing with the chrome hardware

12. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Golden PG will look like that:
    gold_pg.jpg
    Though, body color is a bit different here.

JimHouchin likes this.
  13. It looks amazing, gold it is

14. chewylewis

chewylewis

Feb 18, 2019
    Any word on these?

15. filler83

filler83 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    anyone else try these? Was thinking of picking up a p.

How do these newer fender Japanese models fare compared to Japanese fenders made 80s - 2000s? Do they still hold their quality reputation?

16. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    Are anyone even selling these still?

-ScottM

17. filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    There are a few on reverb under CME

scottm and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I’m specifically looking at the hybrid precision models

19. ScottsTheLimit

ScottsTheLimit Banned SUSPENDED

Sep 3, 2018
    I played a Japan 50's P the other day at a store as I wanted a standard P-bass style bass to try out a Fender Rumble amp. I didn't really care what I had picked up at first, I was just trying the amp. The neck was really flame-y but was all satin, even the fretboard. It played absolutely horribly. Super high action, high sharp-edged nut, edges of the fretboard could give you a paper cut, sharp fret ends. Just yuk. It actually made my hand tired playing simple things on it. I didn't realize what it even was until afterward; I hung it back up and grabbed a black Squier Classic Vibe 70's which was just luxuriously perfect...nice rounded edges to the body and fretboard, felt worn in, low action, great fit and finish. That Japanese 50's felt like I was holding a potato peeler. Crap. And Japanese Fenders USED to be good. This was worse than the worst Mexican Fender I've ever played.

filler83 likes this.