1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jazz 75 reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kasbrey, Nov 14, 2003.

1. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Anyone have experience of these ? I have one on trial and used it at a rehearsal last night but couldn't get a nice sound out of it. I have since realised that the stock strings are nickel which I don't usually favour. Could this be the reason ?
    The playability and sound when unplugged is superb.

2. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I've got a 1999 American Reissue '75 that's loaded with Thomastik Infeld flatwounds... a most excellent setup, since I play it in a classic rock cover outfit!:cool:

If it sounds good acoustically... try changing the strings. Also, don't be afraid to play around with the pickup heights a bit.

Oh, when I originally got the bass, I'd string her up with DM Will Lee's... terrific, "Geddy-like" sound with that set!

Peace!

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a 75RI FSR Special edition. It is my main gigging bass. I use nickels only on this bass. I play R&B and funk mostly and it more than covers all the bases for what I need it for. Just an awesome axe!

4. Yes, it can e the strings. I would give the Thomastik Jazz rounds a try and see if you get more punch from this bass. As said before, play with the pickup height and see if that gives you more bounce!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Swapped the stock nickels out for a set of Fender stainless and tried it last night.
    Definitely keeping it - this bass is the best sounding most versatile Jazz I've ever played. :D

6. Congrats on the find!

[​IMG]
    Treena