Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz 75 reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kasbrey, Nov 14, 2003.

1. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Anyone have experience of these ? I have one on trial and used it at a rehearsal last night but couldn't get a nice sound out of it. I have since realised that the stock strings are nickel which I don't usually favour. Could this be the reason ?
    The playability and sound when unplugged is superb.

2. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I've got a 1999 American Reissue '75 that's loaded with Thomastik Infeld flatwounds... a most excellent setup, since I play it in a classic rock cover outfit!:cool:

If it sounds good acoustically... try changing the strings. Also, don't be afraid to play around with the pickup heights a bit.

Oh, when I originally got the bass, I'd string her up with DM Will Lee's... terrific, "Geddy-like" sound with that set!

Peace!

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a 75RI FSR Special edition. It is my main gigging bass. I use nickels only on this bass. I play R&B and funk mostly and it more than covers all the bases for what I need it for. Just an awesome axe!

4. Yes, it can e the strings. I would give the Thomastik Jazz rounds a try and see if you get more punch from this bass. As said before, play with the pickup height and see if that gives you more bounce!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Swapped the stock nickels out for a set of Fender stainless and tried it last night.
    Definitely keeping it - this bass is the best sounding most versatile Jazz I've ever played. :D

6. Congrats on the find!

[​IMG]
    Treena