Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz bass for playing hard rock/metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brokensilence11, Aug 17, 2010.

1. brokensilence11

brokensilence11

Jul 17, 2010
    My band which plays Hard rock/metal(mettalica, alice in chains, acdc, stuff like that), is having a pretty important gig comin up in October. Im hoping ill have enough money to by a better bass by then, and i Have been looking at getting a Fender Mexican Standard Jazz. I own a squier jazz and like it alot, but know i could get a better tone out of the fender. What is Your opinion on a Jazz bass for this genre? also, what Fret board would be best, Maple or Rosewood?

2. sarnz

sarnz

Oct 6, 2008
    you've opened every can in the worm store my friend

3. Register_To_Disable

4. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    My spidey-senses are tingling!

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Nope. You need a Warwick for that. Or a Musicman. Or a Dean. Or an SX, I hear those basses are monsters for the price. You should ask about em.

6. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    There's no right or wrong when it comes to your taste. I think you should use whatever you like. I play the same music as you do and I own 3 Fender Jazzes and I love them.

7. brokensilence11

brokensilence11

Jul 17, 2010
    ok sounds good. thanks for the help. im definatly gonna keep outher options open

8. brokensilence11

brokensilence11

Jul 17, 2010
    yeah i like the feel of jazz basses and the sound they get

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    would be awesome. i'd get a maple fretboard. IMO, it'll have a brighter tone that will shine through the other band members if you need it to.

10. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Change your pickups for something better. It will make a huge difference. Cheaper than a new bass.

11. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    This is what I think of the Jazz Bass and Metal:

[​IMG]

Byron Stroud, Fear Factory (and formerly of Strapping Young Lad)

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    ^ it really just comes down to the amps :smug:

13. JonPol

JonPol

May 19, 2009
    San Diego
    +1. A mexi fender isn't THAT much better than your squier. Plus, if you ever do get another jazz bass you can throw the pickups in that. A better investment in the long run IMO.

Fingerpickingood likes this.
  14. Danzig

Danzig

Nov 15, 2009
    Sarnz "you've opened every can in the worm store my friend"
    +1 = This is the best response I have read on TB yet!

15. I'm getting popcorn, and bacon.

16. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    1) Mexi-Fender vs. Squier - no difference. Keep your bass as is. Maybe throw some new p'ups in it - that will likely improve the sound.
    2) Make sure you put a big smiley face sticker on it. Metal fans love that positive stuff!

17. My usual reply; The Metal Godz have determined that this is the only bass for metal.
    [​IMG]
    In reality, ITS THE PLAYER, NOT THE BASS!!!!!

18. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Sig'ed!!!

19. TreeFitty

TreeFitty

Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    +10...

I'm a Fender guy and have some great basses...but Warwicks are AWESOME>..just bought one 3 mos ago and they very flexible....I've gotten a ton of compliments since purchasing...

Most of the Warwick haters on this board don't like them because they're too heavy and body is too small. But I tell those guys to man up and grow a pair and get yerself a 'wick!

Seriously though, they are amazing axes...

20. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    It's just your taste. If you like Fender J's get a Fender J. And of course there's a huge difference between a Squier and a Fender MIM. Eventually you'll want to upgrade to a better Bass and IMO it's now. Don't put new pups on your Squier. It will be like putting Toyo Tires on your Ford Taurus.