Fender Jazz Bass (Mexico) or Carvin B4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alb, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Alb

Jun 6, 2005
    Hi folks!

I'm new to bass. So new in fact that I don't have one yet. I've played guitar for 32 years and also play banjo and mandolin.

My son and I want to start a recording project and need a bass. The only two in our price rance that we know of are the two I've listed in the title.

Could I get some feedback on some other possibilities you may know of or even your take on the ones I've listed? Our price range is $300 to $500.

Thanks very much!!!

2. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    While I'm thinking seriously of getting a Carvin myself (upgrade from my Ibanez) and don't personally have a Fender any more (since the 70s), the Fender Precision is generally a favorite among recording engineers. While you actually mention the Jazz, you may consider the Precision. You can find a 4-string version in your price-range, though not American made (unless used).

Your experience suggests something of a "bluegrass" background. You'll probably want to start with the Fender sound (P or J). You may want "flat-wounds" too, to sound more like a big ol' upright. Virtually all basses these days come standard with round-wound strings, which give the bass a "piano-like" sound.

To me, TI Jazz Flats sound most like acoustic, but they don't have as much old-time 1960s "thump" as other flats (such as La Bella Deep Talkin').
  3. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I have a Fender precision and a Fender jazz, both MIM, and a Carvin B4. The Carvin, to me, is like a more modern-sounding jazz bass. Plus, it's a little bit out of your price range. I'd second the Fender precision.
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Another vote for the Precision for recording (especially in your genres with flats, as suggested by others), but if you have smaller hands the Jazz might be better because of its smaller neck. It might be an easier transition for you, and they record extremely well too. I find my Jazz "fattens" when recorded, and sounds great. Plus, with both pickups at the same volume, there's no single coil hum.
  5. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I work for a Fender dealer so from my experience I can tell you as far as the MIM (made in mexico) basses go; try a lot of them. You can find a diamond amongst a lot of coal. Lots of players are down on the MIM basses but the truth is you can buy a Mexican bass that is made by Mexicans in Mexico or you can buy a Made in America bass which is made in America by Mexicans. Or you can by a made in Japan bass where they can sometimes look a little Mexican.
  6. Alb

Jun 6, 2005
    Thanks much for all your comments. I should clarify a few things though.

The Carvin B4 would be in a kit, and cost $359. I'm pretty handy with tools and it would be fun to build the bass with my son.

Also, I play a little bluegrass, but more in the folk rock arena. I'm learning from you all already though, as I didn't know that flat wounds made that kind of change in tone.

Anyway, I'll appreciate hearing more from you.