1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender Jazz Bass Special - Circa 1984-87

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bullitt5135, Nov 28, 2010.

1. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Well you can't tell from the serial but the natural neck is most likely '87.

2. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    G serial spanned from '87 to '88. I'd wager yours is an '87 since its in the first 500 of the series.

CaseyVancouver and r_bnks like this.
  3. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

I totally missed the G lol. If it'd be an E serial with natural neck top truss rod adjustment I'd say '87. G is pretty sure '87 like you said.

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  4. WayOutWest

WayOutWest

Mar 11, 2020
    First post on this site....

I have a candy apple red Jazz Special with a lefty neck. I’m righty (I flipped the nut). Picked it up in ‘98 from a friend who was an amateur luthier. It has active EMG pickups, and I actually don’t know if that was stock or not. I got back into playing this past year, and did a full set up/light refurbish with a new pot and bridge (I always hated the stock Fender bridges). Like many others, I love the neck on this one. And, It’s just weird playing righty on a lefty neck, and I like the uniqueness of it.
    37913664-E482-4829-816A-C12D2C82A5D7.jpeg
    image.jpg
    303DB224-46DD-4B72-9101-93F2EE3712CF.jpeg 7366A106-DCC8-42CF-9BA0-503DB6FE36AD.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

No, EMG's aren't stock.

WayOutWest likes this.
  6. the headstock looks stripped with a new logo and chrome hardware if it’s a jbs neck (it could be, the dots and mij look correct). it’s obviously not original to the body. your body could have been fitted with a fretless neck originally and gotten a swap.

7. WayOutWest

WayOutWest

Mar 11, 2020
    I use to wonder if the neck was stripped, but I believe it is original. Fender used to put generic logos on at least some of their bass necks, I think. I see them on reverb once in a while. I think this is mos def not a jazz special neck, but a 62 reissue MIJ neck, from around 1993 based on the sn. No idea what year the body is. Anyways, I like the neck and the bass, even if it is a FrankenFender of sorts. Thought I would share....

Some lefty JB neck examples:
    Fender '62 Jazz Bass Neck LH Rosewood Fretboard, C shaped Maple Neck | Brian's Shop | Reverb
    upload_2021-1-21_8-29-29.png

Rocker47 likes this.
  8. WayOutWest

WayOutWest

Mar 11, 2020
    Question: with the selector switch in the center position (sound from both pickups), and one volume at full and the other at zero, would you expect NO volume to come out?

Mine does this.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  9. Yep, my Ibbys are wired the same way. It’s how the pots interact with the switch.

WayOutWest likes this.
  10. jbs wiring is strange, the volume has to be up somewhat. there’s no blend like a normal pj or jazz. but the tone rolloff is actually a good sound.

WayOutWest and draydur like this.
  11. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    isn't fender doing a re-issue of these?

fender-fender-boxer-series-precision-bass-made-in.jpg

lgrankin likes this.
  12. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Yes, this is the reissue.

13. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Had to reupload this. It was way out of sync. So finally I took a JBS for a spin.

14. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Just got denied to buy back my JBS. I’m disappointed, but he wanted a king’s ransom for it, so I guess it was t meant to be.

15. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

I might have a pewter with active EMG's if you want one.

16. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I really want a pearl one, with stock pups. Thanks anyways.

r_bnks likes this.
  17. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

I totally understand lol. Pearl is the best. Or aged, creamy solid white if you can't get a pearl.

18. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    There are a few black ones on reverb, but I really don’t care for black basses

19. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Me neither except the black JBS & Spectors. Black on black Jazz Specials are awesome IMo but I don't care about the rest.

hbabels likes this.
  20. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    They are cool. I just like the contrast of the pearl body and black neck

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021