1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender Jazz Bass Special - Circa 1984-87

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bullitt5135, Nov 28, 2010.

1. ead

ead

Aug 1, 2012
    Preston, England
    Just picked up this bad boy just because it looked cool even though I had no idea what it was. Turns out it's an E series PB-455 and it's a great little bass. It really surprised me as I was thinking it would be fun to add a few mods to it. Going to instal a black Gotoh bridge but it sounds great with all the standard bits.
    PJ445 01.jpg

mikewalker likes this.
  2. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    That's odd. I'm 100% sure it's actually a PJ-36. No TBX tone pot on it, normally.

3. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    Hello
    I will be soon member of this JBS club :)
    I have found an E7 white one with natural neck (and black headstock). I am happy because the three knobs are present with their "F" top. Is it safer to remove them, keep them in a drawer and use standard knobs ?

since197three likes this.
  4. they’re not going to fall off unless you abuse the guitar. i have two with a full set of knobs, they’re fine.

5. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    Absolutely.

6. ead

ead

Aug 1, 2012
    Preston, England
    My bad should have said PJ-455.

Attached Files:

7. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Heads up for those who want a brand new Torino Red or Sherwood Green Jazz Bass Special (Boxer)
    Fender Special Run Boxer Bass in Torino Red - one of only 141 made - Our only one - ETA Dec. 1st - The Bass Place
    Fender BOXER SERIES PRECISION BASS 2020 Sherwood Green Metallic | mundt music of Longview | Reverb

Price is not bad at all for $1200 since they made 141 of each color.

First impressions: No serial (With a limited run you'd expect your serial # out of 141) I know there's no serial on the early models but still.. with a limited run they should engrave it at least on the neckplate.
    No sunk stripe on the back & the headstock decal is def. not the same color as the original.
    The F knobs are a nice addition just like on the HM Strat reissue.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  8. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    Is it possible to date more accurately a PJ-555 ?
    Following the serial number E774715, mine was made between 84 and 87... The number engraved on the the two pots is identical and is partly covered with the solder : "?04072" The "?" could be a 5 or a 3 or maybe a 9
    There is a second line with "73 K"
    Thank you

9. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    Sadly with japanese serials, you can't date them precisely. Especially the E series. Do not believe the people who tell you that the first digit represents the year.

r_bnks likes this.
  10. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Yea. The closest you can get is '84 - '87. The numbers on the pots are most likely part numbers.

11. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

There are still some clues. Natural neck with head trust rod adjustment and 1.5 nut is most likely '87, The ones with 1.5 nut, head truss rod adjustment are most likely '86/'87 (transition from black neck to natural) the chunkier P necks are probably the earliest versions '84-'85/'86.

12. brokencode

brokencode

Aug 28, 2009
    Allen, TX
    I bought my Black JBS new from GC Aug 1987 - # is E711987. I just thought the "E" was MIJ and the last four digits was the year.

13. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    Thank you for the info. It is thus a late one as the nut width is 1.5 and the neck is natural on the back.

14. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    The chunky P-bass nut widths were the JDM ones, A-B-C serials. E serial ones always had the jazz nut width.

Check the size of the pole pieces on your pickups. If they are regular size, they're post '87. If they're large, pre '87.

15. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

I have 2 and had 1 total 3 with 1.625" nut. All of them are E serial, large poled pups. 2 of my E serials have 1.5" nut. Someone has already posted the serial info in this thread:
    - E5 to E60 + A series had 41mm Precision necks with neck heel truss rod adjustment
    - E61+ has 38mm MIJ jazz necks with headstock truss rod adjustment

This seems to be accurate since all my 3 with 41mm nut are below E60

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    johnnyplaysbass likes this.
  16. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    I am lost :)
    Serial number E774715, PJ-555 model
    Color : white pearl
    Nut width : 1.5 “ or 38mm
    Natural color on back of neck
    PJ pickups with large pole pieces

date is not important but I like to know :)

17. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

PJ-555 was the model name/number. More likely 1987. The Fender Japan & Boxer catalogs shows the neck with black finish until 1986.

This is a page from the 1986 catalog.
    The World of Musical Instruments Brochures - Fender Japan Catalog 1986 (yokochou.com)

If you zoom in you can see the lack of the headstock truss rod adjustment hole what means these has heel truss rod adjustment holes.
    All of the them with the heel truss rod adjustment were P-neck and there's no J neck version in the catalog until '87.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    johnnyplaysbass likes this.
  18. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    Thank you. 87 for my bass then :). Thank you for the detective job :)

19. r_bnks

r_bnks Supporting Member

Yea, most likely. Yo still can't be sure lol. :) But all the 'evidence' point toward it since there's no natural neck in the 84/85/86 catalogs.

Christophe C likes this.
  20. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Ok, I’m a bit lost on this serial number year built thing.

I think mine is from ‘88. The serial number is G 000487.
    Sound correct?

E7BAA790-BF1D-4DF4-866B-003445AC71A3.jpeg

r_bnks and Bleecker like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021