Fender jazz V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Hey, i am tihnking of getitng a fender standard jazz but than i noticed a standard jazz 5 string for only £30 more and i could realy use the lower b string for some of the metal i play, but i barely hear 5 string jazzes mentioned (correct me if im wrong :D. ) And im concerned that i might not be able to play it properly, i tried playing a 5 string before and it felt aucward, will i just need to get used to it?

so is this a good instrument to buy or do you tihnk i should buy a standard 4 string jazz and than but another 5 string, i was tihnking along the lines of the ibanez BTB405QM.
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    1 advise that some might not like, the ONLY fender with a good low B is the roscoe beck sig, everything else is easily beaten by lakland skyline series JO5.
  3. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's just plain NOT true.
  4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    See, i was right :D ;) .
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'll second this feeling.
  6. Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    but i havent got the money for a realy expensive, i have the limit to about £450 and i realy want some kind of fender jazz...
  7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Lets see dont you have any familiar or friend in the US??, my SVP-pro preamp was bought by a friend of mine in the US for 400€ i saved some bucks cos the SVP runs for 600-700€ here.

check www.basscentral.com is a store in the us but they ship worldwide, dont be silly spending your money save for a skyline JO5 is a 5 string jazz in 35" scale with fralin p-ups and it is not that spensive considering what u get.
  8. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    A rather sweeping and generally incorrect statement. For the record the B on my Jazz Deluxe 5 is very good.
  9. Yes. Get the Fender Jazz 5 string. I have one and it's great. Great feel, great "B". I won't go back to a 4 string.

I'm even in the process of upgrading my fretless 4 string to a 5'ver. :bassist:
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Lewi, if you like that B string, nothing else matters. Let your ears be your guide.
  11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I have played a deluxe 5 with a kickass B. It felt great.
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1 I've had a American Deluxe V for last seven years that I just adore, I have no problem with the B string.
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The "B" on my USA 1997 Standard Jazz V is fine. No complaints. It takes a while to get used to a 5 string it's a different style of playing.
  14. Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    yea thats another thing i was worrying about, i have used a 5 string before and i couldnt get used to playing the E string (felt wierd). But form what ive heard from these forums i would probably get used to a 5 stringer in a few days.
  15. Just like anything else, you'll adapt! It took me about a week, and I was playing in the pit for a theater show at the time. The music was pretty easy so I figured that it was a good opportunity to "push" myself into it. It worked out just fine. Every now and then, I'll have a "brainfart" and go for the wrong string, but not often, and, hey!, I'm getting on in years... :meh:

Everyone is different, but once you get past the apprehension of something new, I think that you'll love it! :bassist:

Go for it! :D
  16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I agree......the B-string also makes for a nice thumb-rest ;)
  17. +1 on that! :D
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I guess you need to hear the B on my Am Jazz V FMT.
  19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The same way you like how it sounds i might dislike it, dont you love subjetive threads? ;)
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Every other Fender copy company on earth makes a better 5-string Fender than Fender. You might check into the Ken Smith Retro-J 5'er. I played one of them not long ago and I thought it was really good.

Munji, your FMT V notwithstanding, you have to admit that Fender doesn't do 5's very well in general.