Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender jazz V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewi_wilko, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Hey, i am tihnking of getitng a fender standard jazz but than i noticed a standard jazz 5 string for only £30 more and i could realy use the lower b string for some of the metal i play, but i barely hear 5 string jazzes mentioned (correct me if im wrong :D. ) And im concerned that i might not be able to play it properly, i tried playing a 5 string before and it felt aucward, will i just need to get used to it?

so is this a good instrument to buy or do you tihnk i should buy a standard 4 string jazz and than but another 5 string, i was tihnking along the lines of the ibanez BTB405QM.

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    1 advise that some might not like, the ONLY fender with a good low B is the roscoe beck sig, everything else is easily beaten by lakland skyline series JO5.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's just plain NOT true.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    See, i was right :D ;) .

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'll second this feeling.

6. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    but i havent got the money for a realy expensive, i have the limit to about £450 and i realy want some kind of fender jazz...

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Lets see dont you have any familiar or friend in the US??, my SVP-pro preamp was bought by a friend of mine in the US for 400€ i saved some bucks cos the SVP runs for 600-700€ here.

check www.basscentral.com is a store in the us but they ship worldwide, dont be silly spending your money save for a skyline JO5 is a 5 string jazz in 35" scale with fralin p-ups and it is not that spensive considering what u get.

8. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    A rather sweeping and generally incorrect statement. For the record the B on my Jazz Deluxe 5 is very good.

9. Yes. Get the Fender Jazz 5 string. I have one and it's great. Great feel, great "B". I won't go back to a 4 string.

I'm even in the process of upgrading my fretless 4 string to a 5'ver. :bassist:

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Lewi, if you like that B string, nothing else matters. Let your ears be your guide.

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have played a deluxe 5 with a kickass B. It felt great.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    +1 I've had a American Deluxe V for last seven years that I just adore, I have no problem with the B string.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The "B" on my USA 1997 Standard Jazz V is fine. No complaints. It takes a while to get used to a 5 string it's a different style of playing.

14. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    yea thats another thing i was worrying about, i have used a 5 string before and i couldnt get used to playing the E string (felt wierd). But form what ive heard from these forums i would probably get used to a 5 stringer in a few days.

15. Just like anything else, you'll adapt! It took me about a week, and I was playing in the pit for a theater show at the time. The music was pretty easy so I figured that it was a good opportunity to "push" myself into it. It worked out just fine. Every now and then, I'll have a "brainfart" and go for the wrong string, but not often, and, hey!, I'm getting on in years... :meh:

Everyone is different, but once you get past the apprehension of something new, I think that you'll love it! :bassist:

Go for it! :D

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I agree......the B-string also makes for a nice thumb-rest ;)

17. +1 on that! :D

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I guess you need to hear the B on my Am Jazz V FMT.

19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The same way you like how it sounds i might dislike it, dont you love subjetive threads? ;)

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Every other Fender copy company on earth makes a better 5-string Fender than Fender. You might check into the Ken Smith Retro-J 5'er. I played one of them not long ago and I thought it was really good.

Munji, your FMT V notwithstanding, you have to admit that Fender doesn't do 5's very well in general.