1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz with 2 stacked V/T knobs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Dec 15, 2011.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hey folk, I am hoping someone out there can give me a crash course in the 1960 style Fender jazz reissues that feature the 2 stacked V/T pots.

I play a bunch of old basses that have individual tone controls for each pickup and I have decided that I prefer the additional tonal variety that such a configuration affords.

I am playing my jazz bass a bunch, but it has the VVT configuration so I want to look into picking up one of the reissues with the stacked V/T pots to see if I can tweak by tone any better.

So some questions:

1) Does anyone know the name of the model or models Fender makes that have the V/T? Is it called a 1960 RI?

2) Where are/were the RIs made?

2) I am probably going to pick one up used, so hoping for some guidance or experience with pricing. I have seen a wide range on ebay with some selling for sub-$800 and others asking $2500. Is there a rule of thumb on pricing for these for the MIAs, MIJs, etc.

Thanks.

RBM

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  3. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Great info. Thanks.

Anyone know if there are MIJ versions ever made that made sell for less?

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I really prefer the stack knob setup over the regular VVT.
    What small amount of control it provides is enough for me to really notice nice difference.

You can find ready-made control plates on the 'bay if you simply want to convert a bass.

I don't think so. Not one I've ever seen, or at least marketed outside of Japan. I've only seen the Custom Shop make one other than the regular US reissue.
    You can find deals on used ones all day long 850-1000.

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    +1. I also enjoy that extra tweak of flexibility a stacker gives. I have one of my basses set up with a stack on each pickup and a master volume - very handy.

6. bigalbass

bigalbass

Dec 12, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    My buddy has a stack knob Squire Jaguar bass. The bass is excellent for the money (about $200 new) and plays and sounds great. I personally prefer 2 volumes and a master tone.

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hey $850 to $1000 is definitely in my sweetspot. Where is the best place to look and how do people usually list these?

Also I noticed MF sells them new at $1500. Some are shown with ashtray covers and others not. Do they all come with the ashtrays or is that an "extra?"

Thanks!

8. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    avri, american vintage reissue , '62 jazz reissue,

this one was just in the classifieds last week

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-62-avri-jazz-841348/

9. The re-issues come with the covers and screws but are uninstalled (and un drilled as well) for the owner to choose whether to install or not.

These are excellent basses and I do like the stacked knob arrangement as well. It's surprising that the VVT became the more prevalent set up.

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why not just get the stacked knob plate and put it on your current bass?

11. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hey just following up here.

I played one of these for the first time at Sam Ash today.

To my surprise, the tone knobs had multiple detents, i.e. they clicked into several preset positions rather than being a smooth sweep. So two questions:

1) Is this true to period, mening is this how the original J's were back in the day and

2) Does this work any differently than a regular tone pot other than the detents? I..e are these presets determined by internal capacitors or some such?

Thanks.

RBM

12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    This is true to period. It's no different than a standard tone - it's merely a washer that mates with the bottom knob which has dimples on the bottom. The bent up bump makes the stops. These are still available - look for '62 Jazz parts. I built a Warmoth J with that setup and I find I prefer a smooth sweep. I had to try it though, and it's already in there - no harm done.

Attached Files:

13. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    +1 on the just change the control plate. I bought one recently of the TB board and put it on my Jazz. Love the look and tone. Plus I keep the feel and setup of a bass I like already. Oh and saved what, a grand?

14. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    If you are looking for another Bass, you can probably buy a used AVRI 62 J w/ the stack config for $800-1100. Craigs list is a good place to start your search.

15. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Yep this is a possibility, though I have other considerations about the AVRI. For example, I like the low profile vinatge style frets.

So I was thinking of selling my J and buying the AVRI (used), for not much of a net upgrade cost.

16. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Cool! Thanks for the info.

17. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    +1 on picking up the control panel.only. these go for $70-$90 here or on eBay. I have two jazz basses with these and two set up VVT.

To be honest, I like it both ways. The dual stacks allow me to back off the highs on just the bridge pup, then control and balance volumes.

But, the VVT setup lets me quickly (like mid-song) back off the neck Volume to get some bridge growl for a two-bar riff, then bump it right back up.

Of course, IMHO IME YMMV.