1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlyingPigSound, Feb 8, 2018.

1. CPB2019

CPB2019

Jul 2, 2019
    Thanks, my son picked it out. The color/pattern is called “Peacock Burst” and was made by Mike Quick at “Quick Guards”. I sent him a pattern traced from the original and it was a perfect fit.

2. It compliments the bass nicely...great choice! Thanks for the info., too. I'll check out the website.

CPB2019 likes this.
  3. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    OK, re the 5lb 14oz Squire Mustang I ordered from Sweetwater. -When it came it weighed 7.22lbs, or 7lbs 4oz!!
    What annoys me most is I did call them to double check the listed weight before buying it, and they had reassured me it was a true weight determined by their 'careful' techs and not from Fender...
    I complained to Sweetwater about this and they said they couldn't understand why it happened... They would take the bass back for a refund, however they had no other Squier Mustangs now that were lighter than 7.5lbs, and most were at 8+lbs.
    I thot about it and decided that 7lbs 4ozs was fairly light, I liked the bass, and I could later change the tuners to Ultralights and pobably bring the weight below 7lbs. Plus I didn't want to go thru all the hassle of re-triple-packing it and dealing with Fed Ex for the return. -Also how could I trust Sweetwater now as to whatever they said their other basses weighed? -Sheeesh, forget about that :poop:!
    I also asked about some (minor) compensation for their gross misrepresentation (twice!) of this bass, but so far I've heard absolutely nothing concerning this and I doubt I ever will... :rollno:
    So in any case they (Sweetwater) won. I'm keeping this bass. It is, after all, fairly light even if not super-light, and I do like a lot of other things about it. (So I guess I've won too in a way, right?) :cool:
    Enjoy, (and keep your scales handy),
    Greywoulf

4. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    OMFG ! :eek:

The old saying about things which seem too good to be true certainly seems to apply here !

Something interesting about it [if we can believe what we read on their site anymore] is that some of the other Mustangs [shown there when I looked, after you first posted about ordering yours] purported to weigh LESS than the one which they sent you.

BTW, did you check the serial number on it to see whether they sent the one which you ordered ?

Yours may still be sitting there.

In any event, we have all been warned. :rollno:

- - -

Another question :

Did the candies in the package which they sent along with the bass taste sour ?

New name = SourWater ? :D

- - -

Silver lining : I bet it has no neck dive.

- - -

And just one more thing [Columbo] :

Will you buy from them again ?
    ~

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  5. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    On of the things that pissed me off was that yes they did have some other Mustangs listed at 6+lbs and I could've maybe gotten one of them if they hadn't tricked me into buying the "5lbs14ozs" one that is actually 7lbs 4ozs!! But hey, those other supposedly 6+lb Mustang listings could've been all lies too!
    SourWater indeed... -Buyer beware! -Not only will they misrepresent a bass's specs on their site, a smooth talking sales rep will then swear to you on the phone that the lies are all true!
    And yes, I got the exact same serial number that was listed for the supposedly "super light" one..
    Neck dive? -I could easily rate it among the worst of any of the considerable number of bass guitars I've played! However this doesn't bother me much anymore as long as I can comfortably hold the bass in my lap with it's neck up at a 45 degree angle. (And with this Mustang I can). I don't gig anymore and only play seated now...

As far as buying from SourWater again, truthfully that's a bit complicated... I did after all get a lighter model Mustang from them than one of the 8+lbs ones.
    The sales guys at the local Guitar Center have always been informative and honest with me so I do enjoy going there, but if they don't have the bass you're looking for in stock there's no telling whether you'll get the heaviest version of that model or not. However at least with GC if I take a chance on ordering something I've not previously tried I can at least return it to their local store in person, which is a lot less hassle than mailing things back to SourWater! So I guess my answer is that from now on I will always consider buying at GC first before even looking at SourWater's site, where before it often usta be the other way around.
    Of course too there's always the couple of small music stores that are not very far away from me, but they never seem to have much of a variety of BGs for sale.
    Enjoy,
    Greywoulf

6. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    Well we are all human beings and all make mistakes so the weight thing could have been an honest error and they did offer to take it back - I'm assuming at no cost to you other than the hassle. I have only purchased 1 bass from Sweetwater - a Gretsch Junior Jet II - and it was accurately represented. I had a similar Mustang experience as I too was looking for a lightweight one but Sweetwater was out of stock so I ordered from an independent guitar shop thru Reverb. Confirmed the weight as 7 lbs and 7 ounces. It arrived a full half pound heavier at 7 lbs and 15 ounces They claimed it had been weighed 3 times but I sent them a photo of it on my postal scale and they offered for a refund and no cost return shipping. I suggested a $75 credit to buy some Hipshots since that seemed to be about their cost for shipping 2 ways but they offered a $50 credit and I took it. Ultimately I have not bought any Hipshots and at just under 8 pounds it balances nicely so for now I'm happy and if it becomes a problem I'll go for the Hipshots.

SoulReflection likes this.
  7. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Am still trying to figure this new Squire Mustang BG out...
    I need to set the gain on my mini TC Bam200 amp (into a TC 2x8 cab) almost all the way up to get even decent enough low volume out of this BG..? (It then works OK, but none of my other basses are like this?)
    And the tone knob on the Mustang had a few surprises for me too; turned far right the Stang sounds muddy and a bit grrrowly to me, turned allaway up left I can get a lighter, clearer, bit of an upright sound after fiddling with my Bam200 amp's eqs some... -An unexpected blessing which really pleases me! :thumbsup: There seems to be not much difference in tones inbetween these two settings, but still, having an almost-Pbass to an almost-dbl-bass tone range on this little squirt of a bass is delightful!

Of course I'll have to get rid of the gadawful zingggy roundwounds it came with, but a new set of flats should soon mellow things out. Also a set of Ultralights to see how lightweight I can get this critter, plus a new string tree, plus a Zero-Mod thumb rest, plus maybe a new pickguard, plus... plus.... (-This thing is a modding platform!!) :wideyed:

Anyway it's fairly lightweight body, comfortable fast neck, interesting range of tones, and retro looks will probably make this Squire Mustang a keeper for (an overly fussy) me for quite some time! :cigar: :wacky:
    Enjoy,
    Greywoulf

8. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    I could've also forgiven an honest mistake here. But their "sales engineer" swearing to me over the phone about the weight being true means that even if he didn't know it was false he didn't care enough about me as a customer to check out the question I had about the indicated weight of this bass...
    And I also suggested a comp with Hipshots, and if not that then perhaps a free set of LaBella MUS flatwounds. And they've not had the courtesy to give even the slightest response to this! AFAIC they can keep their freakin' candy! As a former repeat customer of theirs I'd rather be treated honestly and with respect!
    Greywoulf

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  9. adamajah

adamajah

Oct 9, 2017
    I also had a less than stellar experience buying a thinline Telecaster from Sweetwater. Their supposed 8000 point inspection didn’t catch a piece of sandpaper from the factory sticking out of the f-hole. The factory box had never been opened.

Sorry about the neck dive. Just imagine how bad it would have been if you’d actually gotten the super light Mustang ;)

10. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    LOL! Another hidden blessing there, right?
    -Thank gaud for optimists! :woot:
    Greywoulf

11. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    @Greywoulf My mustang has less volume than expected too. I did install DR Legend Flats - fit perfectly and sound great. I also swapped the .0473 cheap cap with a .100 orange drop which I do on all my basses. I usually keep the tone knob rolled all the way off and with the Legend flats I love the bottom end. I'm experimenting with EQ pedals that have a boost. Bought a cheap Behringer to test the theory and it worked better than expected dialing out the frequencies I did not need and boosting the output of the bass. I am getting a Caline 10 band tomorrow because I think the additional frequency bands will be better and it also has an output boost. If all goes well I my look into a more expensive preamp but I'm wading in cautiously.

12. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Sucks to hear! Not to defend the 'Water gang directly, but just in general I know retailers have been struggling to shrink and grow along with the super volatile supply & demand in the last year. I could see them trying to run on a skeleton crew, and that's a problem with no good solution when you're not the one in charge.

Still, I'd rather they just be honest and say they laid off most everyone but the Sales Engineers, because it seems to be a trend that they're not inspecting instruments the way they used to...but I sure get random followup phone calls with shocking consistency.

Regardless, trying to feed a load of crap to savvy customers is the quickest way to lose those customers to some very responsive and reliable competition.

As for the low volume, I know it's trickier with the wider string travel of shortscale tension, but is raising the pickup an option?

13. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    @Real Soon I agree- there is no better sales tool than admitting a mistake and making it right "in the clients eyes" not just your eyes. The pickup height was tricky on mine - the best tone was lower than needed for the best output - I like deep but clear bass tones :>(

14. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    From your followup posts, I can see that you have tried in earnest to see the good points of this bass.

Even saying that it balances while on your lap while you are sitting down - THEY had no idea that you might play your basses that way, so there is no reason to cut them slack on that.

OTOH, as I and another poster have said, if it really DID weigh in at 5 pounds 14 ounces and had the shape and strap attachment points of a Mustang, the neck dive indeed would have been more pronounced, something which even YOU posted having wondered about, before you received/ordered it.

But many of us have become spoiled by SW's sharing of info about their instruments, such as the individual posting of the weight and photo gallery for each above $299 USD, and to learn that it might be a farce is rather a letdown for us.

I have been considering ordering a bass from them [of whatever brands which they are allowed by the makers to ship into Canada from USA, which BTW rules out Fender, Squier, and Ibanez], but frankly, if I ever did, I would have an exchange with the sales rep, insisting that he/she personally go and get the bass in question, put it on the scale, and read to me the number on the display, quoting your purchase as a seed for my lack of trust.

2nd thought - I would ask for a photo of the scale display also showing the bass being weighed.

And the company would deserve it.
    ~

Real Soon and SoulReflection like this.
  15. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Before I get into tech talk, let me ask, when you say turned to the right, do you mean clockwise, or counterclockwise ?

It sounds like your tone control is working in reverse, the way in which I would interpret your comment.
    ~

Real Soon likes this.
  16. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    [QUOTE
    ~~SNIP~~
    As for the low volume, I know it's trickier with the wider string travel of shortscale tension, but is raising the pickup an option?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is, and I've now really improved the volume of this Mustang.
    1} First I removed the plastic film that was still on the pups... :confused: :rolleyes:
    2} Next I very slightly loosened the screws only on the treble side pup which raised it up some (I guess?) as it greatly increased the bass's all around volume output!
    Enjoy,
    Greywoulf

17. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Sorry, I got my directions snoogled up! :sour: Clockwise turning of the Mustang's tone knob gives me a higher, clearer, and more 'upright' sound, while counter clockwise gives me a softer and deeper one..
    Sometimes later at night when I'm tired my damaged hearing gets worse and my ears and the rechargable hearing aide play tricks on me... Too many times over the years playing (mostly percussion) way too loud in too loud places, with (stupidly!) way too little ear protection! :thumbsdown:
    Enjoy, (but take care also),
    Greywoulf

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    [QUOTE="Greywoulf, post: 25217526, member: 10269"

2} Next I very slightly loosened the screws only on the treble side pup which raised it up some (I guess?) as it greatly increased the bass's all around volume output!
    Enjoy,
    Greywoulf[/QUOTE]

Am I correct in assuming you're talking about a Mustang PJ?

I found the pickup height is a critical adjustment on my PJ, even moreso than on my MIJ Mustang.

SoulReflection likes this.
  19. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Join the club...what?

20. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021