1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlyingPigSound, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I also had one of the new Squiers. Unfortunately, I found the output on mine to be a bit low and raising the pickups didn't result in much increase in output. I soon exchanged the Squier for a PJ which had higher output from the start and is more responsive to pickup height.

2. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Y'know, they SHOULD have a club here for that.

Or do they have one and I didn't HEAR of it ? :smug:

I really ought to shut up now. :bag:
    ~

SoulReflection likes this.
  3. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    This is all good info, in case I get a Mustang.

There are quite a few choices these days, with different combinations of specs.
    ~

4. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    No problem, I can't HEAR you anyway ;).

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  5. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    :D

I still hear OK, but some tinnitus has crept in during the last few years.

When there is enough other sound, such as [the stage amps and monitors] when performing live, I generally do not notice it.

It kinda falls into the same category as crowd noise. :laugh:
    ~

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    don21480 and SoulReflection like this.
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Don't I know it. I bought a MIJ mustang quite a wile ago when that was all that was available. A few years ago I started looking for a Mustang PJ because I wanted a short scale P bass. I tried more than a few and even bought a couple that were close but not exactly what I was looking for so I kept looking and tried several different types of Mustangs.

A couple of months before the pandemic lockdown I was in the local GC and almost tripped over a Fender Mustang PJ LE with the ebony fingerboard that was on a stand on the floor so I figured it deserved a try after trying to trip me. Turns out it was exactly what I was looking for so I bought it on the spot. Shortly afterwards I found the Squier Mustang on sale in the same store so I decided to give it a try but the output wasn't what I wanted.

A couple of weeks later I was in the same GC and saw a barely used Fender Mustang PJ from the first issue with the rosewood fingerboard tried it and found it to be different but as good as my LE. I went home, picked up the Squier and did the exchange for a few bucks more than I paid for the Squier. All was well. I went through a lot of Mustangs but my quest for a shortscale P bass was complete.

7. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    For some illogical reason I can't wrap my head/eyes around a Mustang with a P/J pickup :cool: I do love my Squier Mustang both in looks and quality and performance so its awesome that Fender makes something for everyone covering every price point!

8. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    And it doesn't stop there.

There is a variety of pickups and supporting electronics among the current models.

There are multiple fretboard materials, both now and in the past.

There are bridges which anchor the strings and others which send them thru the body.

Nut width can be 1.5" or 1.625" on new 'Stangs these days.

The finish/colour and weight matter too.

And I'm sure that I've missed something.
    ~

9. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    And they do this not only in Mustangs.

As for the pickup(s), as long as the original style of Mustang pickup cancels hum the way that a P pickup does, I would still give a Mustang equipped with one a chance, if everything else about it suited me.
    ~

don21480 likes this.
  10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Over the decades I've seen quite a few original Mustangs modded with a P pickup so I'm used to seeing that. The PJ is different but I never use bridge pickups so the J is just along for the ride.

SoulReflection likes this.
  11. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I am with you on that, @mongo2. My next project, after putting CV'63's on my P is to try them on my Mustang PJ and then decide if I want to buy a set of EMG's to complete the comparison. I did put quick disconnects on the CV'63's.

As an aside, I moved the stock P pups over to my Squier SS Jag and the difference was incredible. The Jag now sounds more like a P bass rather than a guitar.

I will by-pass the neck pups at every turn.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sounds like a fun project.

So you use only the bridge pickup?

13. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Ah, no. Only the neck pickups...I bought the CV'63 P bass pups.

14. adamajah

adamajah

Oct 9, 2017
    I have no idea if this helped but this aluminum HVAC tape is so cheap it was practically a free "mod". My Mustang wasn't really noisy to begin with but I thought it couldn't hurt. :beaver:

SoulReflection and Real Soon like this.
  15. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I could be and probably am wrong, but I've gotten a bit of impression that the original Mustang pickup was a bit more aggressive than P pickups in the upper mids & highs... so while a PJ won't really sound like an original, a good PJ blend might sound a bit more like an original than a Mustang with a P pickup.

Am I in the ballpark on that? I hope so bc I do really like the tone of my EMG Geezer & J blended on my pink mutant PJ, and hope I'm not offending our ancestors TOO much by owning this fetching monstrosity :cool:

SoulReflection, adamajah and rllefebv like this.
  16. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Ah yes... THIS monstrosity:

20210501_001705.jpg

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sorry, I misunderstood your "I will by-pass the neck pups at every turn." comment.

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I see nothing "monstrous" about that.

BTW, I use the same amp/cab combination for medium sized rooms and add a second SVT-210AV for larger rooms. It sounds very good and it's easy to transport.

Is the box on the floor a DI?

Real Soon and DavesnothereCA like this.
  19. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    I think that 'monstrosity' was a term of endearment. :D

One of those would interest me, at least at first glance. :drool:

As for SVT210 cabs, I was planning to get a 2nd one, but then two 1x12 cabs which each weighed the same came along, so I sold my 1st one, along with its MicroVR head.
    ~

Real Soon likes this.
  20. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    My fault for not saying "bridge" instead of "neck" (senior moment)!

mongo2 and DavesnothereCA like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021