1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlyingPigSound, Feb 8, 2018.

1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Real Soon and DavesnothereCA like this.
  2. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    We need an emoji for that.

There are enough of us here who would qualify to use it. :laugh:
    ~

SoulReflection likes this.
  3. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Personally I think she's a fine one as well :):)

This is mostly my practice & home recording rig now that I usually run a BB800 & Hathor 1x12 set, but where space allows, I love me some GK & Ampeg tone live. I'm spoiling myself haha

& yes it is -- the RNDI, which I've come to love dearly both live and in recording :drool:

4. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    My Squier with the original style small pups doesn't hum and now has completely adequate volume for me since I raised the D-G side pup up ever so slightly. But also I'm just talking about home playing here, and not about gigs...
    Greywoulf

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  5. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    OK, here's some photos of my new Squier Mustang. Can I get a club number?
    Also showing my Mikro for size comparison. And yes, this Mustang is the one Sweetwater listed and vocally guarenteed to me to be 5lbs 14ozs. And as you can see...???
    It's also gained 2ozs since I got it, which is probably the weight of the Zero-Mod thumb rest I added. So that pretty much shows my hang-scale is accurate... I also posted the Mikro's weight just for fun and comparison. The Mikro is probably the easiest bass in the world to play, but I don't enjoy it's tone as much as the Mustang's.
    Greywoulf My-Stang1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'm looking for a 1x12 cabinet, which did you get?

7. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    They are nothing fancy.

The brand is Doyle.

They used to be produced in or around Toronto, competing with and similar to Kroth [both being regional boutique brands], some of which I also used to own.

Doyle [and Kroth] made Thiele spec'd cabs to the blueprints of the EV TL606 and TL806 designs [which weigh more than mine], plus larger FOH P.A. components, and Doyle also made these simpler ones.

Outside dimensions are 16 x 16 x 16 inches, ordinary plywood with rat fur, metal edging and corners attached using wood screws, front mounted speaker, a recessed pull off front grille assembly, one circular front port without a tube in it [I do not know the tuning, just winged it], no tweeter, two rear 1/4" jacks, and a single top handle.

I'm sure that other builders have produced similar cabs.

I had pre-purchased some Eminence DeltaLite II 2512 Neo speakers from Amazon [on a super deal which they occasionally unexpectedly have on speakers], and these cabs were offered empty by a guy in Montreal, early during 2019, for not much more than the cost of my fuel to drive there.

How fortuitous ! :)

I previously had bought a used stock-equipped Avatar SB112 [a larger heavier cab though at 46 pounds], had swapped out its woofer for another of these DeltaLite 12s [weight becomes about 39 pounds], and liked how it sounded in there with the tweeter turned off, so the idea of getting these smaller ones made sense in my mind.

The only change which I plan to make to them is to put a pair of flip-out surface-mounted side handles onto each, and remove the top handle.

Each was about 22 pounds empty, therefore around 27 pounds when loaded with a 2512.

I can still feel OK about lifting and carrying 27 pounds, but not 46.

Gigging, I have alternated between the Avatar and these, from Summer 2019 until the pandemic shut things down, and had used the Avatar or other cabs earlier on, as I bought it during 2018.

Being smaller than the Avatar, the Doyle 12s do not sound as deep, but I have TWO of them, which can make up for that if I use both, and also allows for a modular approach for larger and smaller venues, where the Avatar does not.

There.

That was more info than you asked to read. :D
    ~

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    rllefebv, mongo2 and SoulReflection like this.
  8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Thank you for that.

9. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    So I guess that means that you're going to keep it ? :D

Regarding the Mikro, the one which I snagged used, I think about 3 years ago, was interesting, sounded pretty good with the heavier [49-108] GHS short scale Brite Flats strings which I put onto it, and was certainly lightweight like yours, but between the extra short scale and the narrow nut width, it was too significant of a physical change all at once for me, compared to my Ric 4001 of many years, so I flipped it and have found various regular short scale bases since [and liked some of them], about which I posted somewhere on TB in more detail, not much more than a few days ago.

I'd also be curious as to the result if someone got SW to check the calibration of their scale(s), and to weigh a few other basses over again which were weighed previously, in case a whole bunch of basses' weights have been posted as too light on their product pages.

Hmmmm.... :eyebrow:
    ~

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 5:23 PM
  10. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Ha, if their scales are out of calibration, what else could be wrong? If they are always too light that could be good for them, but upsetting to many of their customers, just sayin'.

I am not bashing SW but I was a little put off when I questioned why their prices could not be matched with other on-line vendors. Their response was the great care (55 point checks) and high level of after sales support prevented them from doing so. Of course, that only applied to items over $299. For those reasons, I would expect their scales to be accurate ;).

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 5:55 PM
  11. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Yeah, I'm planning (so far anyway?) on keeping this Mustang. It may not be super light, but hey 7lbs 5ozs is nothing to sneeze at (especially for a Fender)! And with Hipshot Ultralights I prolly can get it under 7lbs in the future. Plus it's already a lot lighter than the 9lb SBMM bass I tried out right before this.. (And t'was just about $100 cheaper than the Sterling too!) :cigar:
    I like the Squier Mustang's slim fast neck, the small pups, the simple controls and the tone. And it does sit alright in my lap w/o too much neck dive; it is manageable enough for me that way. So wot the hell... -Nothing's perfect, right? The plusses just hafta outweigh the minuses for me, and here they do.

I did however just send another email to Sweetwater showing a photo of this Mustang's actual weight and stating that I was still extremely disappointed that Sweetwater would cheat that way! I don't understand how it could've been an accident, or just a simple scale calibration error either. I mean, the difference in what this bass actually weighs to what they (Sweetwater) claimed it weighed is close to 2 lbs!! -Strange, right? :meh: -It amost seems to me like someone was playing some kind of stupid joke on customers or something! :rolleyes:

Anyway what's done is done... Sweetwater did do some nice things for me in the past, including calling me when they had a certain bass cab I was gassing for on sale for a very good (and fully warranted) open box price! -It's just that I feel now I'm gonna hafta be a lot more cautious with them in any future dealings, and that's disappointing... :eyebrow:
    Enjoy,
    Greywoulf

12. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Mine's a hair over 8lbs and that doesn't really make sense to me given its size, but I ran a 4-hour gig last Saturday with it and didn't get too worn out. A 7.3lb bass is pretty good!

Does it sound juicy? Any dead spots (my PJ has none, and it's the only bass of 10-11 I've owned over the last 10 yrs where that's the case)? If yes and no, then that's maybe a perfect balance of weight and sound, even if "balance" is an issue neck-wise. I'll plug my 4" Levy's strap all day on helping that, too.

13. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Yeah, 7 pounds-ish is not too bad for us geezers [and for anyone else, if they wish].

A couple of my more recently acquired basses are around that weight, and while getting even lighter has its advantages, 7 isn't too shabby.

It was more about advertised specs and expectations, in Greywoulf's instance.

And grumpy about it or not, the reality is that what they sent could turn out to be a blessing in sheep's clothing.

I personally would not have chosen that model at all due to its narrow nut width shared with Jazz basses [only the priciest 3 models of current Mustang have a P width nut :banghead: ], but that's just me, coming from many years with a Ric 4001.

Now regarding dead spots :

My Ric 4001 always had one, on the D string, whereas long scale Fenders usually have theirs on the G, at a similar distance up the neck.

I have tolerated this on my Ric since 1974, as well as its neck dive, partially because I was but a kid when I bought it, and I still do like the dimensions of its neck, even though it appears to have gained weight. :smug:

It seems that short and medium scale basses escape the dead spot phenomenon, I have since heard.

Of your other basses which DO/DID show dead spots, let me ask you - which of them are/were short or medium scale ?
    ~

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 8:42 AM
  14. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Tried the Zero-Mod thumb rest on my Squier Mustang, and I don't feel the spacing with it on this particular bass is quite right for my smaller hands as it feels easier for me to play this Stang w/o any thumb rest at all... But of course YMMV, so I'm selling this thumb rest in TB's accessories section. ($28 incl shipping, cost me $40.) It fits both the classic Mustang with the original style small pups and the newer one with the PJ's.
    Greywoulf Rest-1.jpg Rest-2.jpg Rest-3.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 2:18 PM
  15. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    That's funny...your comments regarding spacing were the same as my thoughts when I first saw a picture or that thumb rest. My normal thumb position is resting against the pup. I decided to look for some plastic or wood strips and experiment with double sided tap.

16. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    MY normal thumb position is against the E string, and it becomes part of my damping technique, except if playing chords or those disco-ish octaves.

When I had my last P [part of 1974 and I think a couple of years prior], I may have tried resting my thumb on the pickup sometimes.

The Ric was not suited for doing that.

But something THAT far back, especially in playing technique, I could be dreaming that I did. :sleep:
    ~

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 2:45 PM
  17. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

18. Greywoulf

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Well, some really very good news just arrived from Sweetwater! After I emailed another complaint, this time with a photo of my hang scale showing that the 5.lbs 17oz Mustang they sent actually weighted 7.22lbs when I received it, I got a call from their chief sales engineer... Turns out they want to make this right, so they're going to refund me $100 on my Sweetwater CC so I can get a set of Hipshot Ultralight tuners if I want!
    ***Yayyyyy!!!*** :D:laugh::smug:;)
    I especially like this because it shows they will stand behind their specs after all, and I can once again trust them in future dealings! As I said earlier here I did have some good results in my dealings with Sweetwater in the past, so I am relieved now to learn I can keep many of those positive feelings about them!

Now to find the right model Ultralights for this bass...... :unsure:
    Enjoy,
    Greywoulf
    (Pleasantly Surprised...) :cool:

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    Rafar, Hank Scorpio, Lex P. and 6 others like this.
  19. SoulReflection

SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Happy you are happy...Ultralights with clover tuners is my choice.

20. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    VERRRY K00L ! :cool::cool::cool:

Now so can we.

BTW, 5 pounds 17 ounces ?

I wonder whether any of their people read this forum/thread ?

Hmmmm.... :eyebrow:
    ~

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021