1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender N.O.S

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ynie92992, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Will someone please explain Fender N.O.S to me? Is it that they have unused materials from '64 and they make a bass with that stuff?

2. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    “New Old Stock” (NOS) treatment—built (from original tooling) as if bought new in its respective model year and just found today.

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    as Peterbright said NOS is just to the original specs of said year built today.. So if it came originally with say pickup covers etc the NOS would have them as well.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Yep.
    It's built today exactly as it was back then.

5. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Except for all the ways it's not.

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    To be more precise it describes the new finish of the Time machine series of Custom Shop instruments, as opposed to Closet Classic (slight relicing, usually only some imitation crazing 0n the finish, and lightly worn parts) and Relic (heavier imitation wear, aged looking chrome, etc.). They all have the same appointments, more or less accurate to the purported year the instrument is modeled after.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    It should be noted however, that some sellers misuse the term "New Old Stock". They frequently describe a bass that is a year or two old, but has not yet sold, as "N.O.S." This can be a bit misleading in that it is not what Fender originally intended with their "N.O.S." instruments.

8. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Sellers don't misuse the term, it's used throughout retail to describe older products that are in new, unopened condition.

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Actually, NOS (new old stock) means a new bass that has been in it's box in a storage room somewhere. The bass is brand new, never used. It was just discovered in storage and taken out to be sold. It's like finding a 1970 Fender in your attic that is still in its shipping box, unopened. It's a 1970 Fender that is new in the sense that it was never used (not just built).

Ethical retailers will not sell you something as NOS if it was put together yesterday from old parts. That's not NOS.

10. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Fender is the one misusing the term. In 2002, I bought a brand new 1995 fretless StingRay that had been sitting at the dealer for seven years unsold.

I regretted selling that 1995, as it had the transitional bridge, but I found a 2002 StingRay I liked better. That one got sold too, because I found still a third StingRay I liked even better, the 2000 model I have now!

11. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    How is the two related??:confused:

Fender does not make Stingrays, Musicman does.

12. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Really? :smug:

I was talking about the "NOS" idea. My 1995 StingRay was NOS. The rest was just an aside. What Fender calls "NOS" is just a marketing term for their cosmetic treatment/retro style instruments.

13. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    And this is why it isn't marketed as New Old Stock and as NOS ? Fender is not trying, at least the last time I checked, to pass these instruments as anything else that reissues...

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Again, fender is mis-using the term for marketing. Real NOS would have been build in the purported year, not just spec'ed to be similar. They've been using that term incorrectly for years.

I bought a NOS PRS bass...it was a 2001 that was held at an obscure shop until I bought it in 2005. Thus still new, but "old stock".

15. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I think this whole Fender is mis-using the NOS thing is getting kinda funny.

First, it is not like they have a whole NOS line. They have two....yes, only two NOS basses. A 62 Jazz and a 59 P-Bass.

Second, considering they are priced well below what a "real" 64 jazz and 59 p-bass go for, I don't think they are mis-leading anyone.

In a nutshell, they have three levels of relic instruments, the Closet Classic, the NOS and the Relic.

16. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    Hardly misusing the term went it's coupled with the description RI or reissue.

17. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My dad collected and restored antique Fords since I was a baby until about 5 years ago; I probably said 'New Old Stock' before I said 'Daddy'! What it means in the car world is parts that are still in the original box, never having been used. Fender is using the term inconsistently with how it's been used prior, but the term works in describing the version of the reissue bass you're buying.