1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender player poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by king_biscuit, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Sound and playability/feel.

91.6%
  2. History, the community, and the lifestyle.

8.4%
  1. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Fender players, please let us know the main reason you play Fenders.

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Oh Jesus, another one ?

Just let the argument go. It is a dumb argument and NEITHER of you guys are EVER gonna convince each other that "you are right and they're wrong".

It started out as "mildly interesting", now it's gotten silly.

I love ya, but come on.

:(

3. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Hey, if TB wasn't full over overzealous bassists, it would be a pretty boring place. Come on Dark Horse, lighten up :)

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, but you guys already have about 15 pages of arguments over the same dang thing. He has his opinion, you have yours...and no matter what you do, neither of you is gonna "give in".

Opinions.

They can differ.

So can "interpretations".

;)

PS - Aren't you missing a choice in your poll ? (Carrots)

5. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Seriously, DH, why are you even in this thread if you find all of this so distasteful? I love you too buddy, but either lighten up and play along, or move along :)

The carrot choice was considered and left out due to it's pointlessness!

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

I'm just telling you - your poll could come out a zillion to one in your favor and he still wouldn't be swayed to your side....or vice versa.

I'll leave you to your thing.

:D

7. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    I like them because they're so good for metal.
    But that's just me.
    I think your results will be skewed from the truth KB, because few bassists on this forum will admit to playing Fenders (or any bass for that matter) for any reason other than how well it works in a musical setting.
    In my time on TB I've noticed that there's quite a stigma against playing trendy basses (like fenders) just because they're trendy. Few people will stick their neck out and say they play fenders because they're the cool thing.

8. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Thank you, see you in your next relic thread :)

9. Carrots are quite nice to play too. If you like Gibson 'Grabber' basses, carrots are not too dissimilar. Albeit, short scale.

10. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    When I started there weren't as many choices as there are now. In truth I became a Fender player by default. It was the status quo for at least three decades.

Fender, Rickenbacker and Gibson were pretty much it. I liked the way my Tele sounded when I first heard one and the way it felt when I first played it. I also thought it was odd-looking, FWIW.

Now that I've gotten back into it I have Spector and Sadowsky on my radar. If I were starting now I might make an entirely different choice. Especially with all of the reports of Fender's QC issues. But, as it is, I'm hooked (conditioned?) to the fat Fender sound. Which some might call muddy.

11. The reason I bought my Fender was because when I picked it up it just "fit"... Wasn't interested at all and grabbed it off the wall at the store out of boredom. It plays and sounds like pure sex and I fell in love... That said- A big part of an instrument and and whether if "fits" a player is comfort and part of comfort involves aesthetics and other non-musical aspects. This is true for the vast majority of people whether they want to admit it, or whether they even realize it. Not that I WOULDN'T play a "coffee table" bass (in fact, I've sworn to own an ACG someday) but something about the way my Fender looks and what it is draw me in. We're human, that "stuff" makes a difference, silly or not.

12. Why do people wear Reeboks, Adidas or Skechers? :D

13. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I was about to buy a really nice Yamaha when I picked up the used MIM JazzV in a store in North Vancouver. Bought it on the spot. It sounds and plays so well that I keep trying to find ways to make sure I keep this one.

It'd take a $2k bass to get me to put this one down.

14. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Don't be an offshore fool just cause they're flashy or cheaper. New Balance all the way, Mother Father.

15. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I've been a bass player for 10 years. For the first two I played really "modern" basses. Peavey Dynabass, Tobias, ect. Never cared for the sound. On a whim I picked up a Fender J at a music store one day and there it was. It sounded good and played really well. I bought one soon thereafter. They just work for me and yes I do like the looks of them.

I've considered other basses. I want a 6 string to experiment with and it probably won't be a Fender considering what they want for their 6er.

They just work well for me and I'm glad I found something that does.

16. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Which are made in China.

17. pokengkong

pokengkong

Apr 6, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Kingston Basses
    I play 4 string Fender cause no other bass looks as good when you're rocking. Some of these exotic Ken Smith-Roscoe-Warwick extended string type basses look too much like art projects. Playing those crazy shape basses is alot like wearing a tye-dye shirt. All those colors catch way too much attention. Any hot girl will tell you that nothing looks better than blue jeans and white t-shirt. The tone of the Fenders seal the deal.

18. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry Supporting Member

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I have always leaned towards Fenders because when I started playing bass Fenders where the only basses.

19. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Every hot girl I have known says nothing is a bigger turn off than a guy that wears white t shirts, they all prefer suits but each could be a regional thing.

20. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    There's a Fender "lifestyle"?