1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender Precision Bass question: Does the fretboard material make any difference in sound or anything

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean775, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm finally getting around to buying a P Bass, which I'll buy once I get my tax returns back. Should I pay much attention to the fretboard, or just buy what I think looks better?

I didn't have a choice with my Jazz Bass, because the model I wanted only came in one option, and that had a rosewood fretboard.

jamro217 likes this.
  2. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Here we go

3. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Between Rosewood or maple? I think it makes a difference. The maple is going to be brighter sounding.

osv, godofthunder59, jamro217 and 9 others like this.
  4. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
  5. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    No

6. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    NC
    Really depends who you ask. I mean different woods will CERTAINLY vibrate in different ways. But the extent to which you perceive that difference through the strings/electronics/amplification/etc gets complicated. Can you consistently pick out which is which in a blind test with so many other factors in play? But in terms of PLAYING, I think you absolutely get a tangible response from the fb wood. More about feel than sound (I think).

Maple is hard and has always felt kind of "clacky" and bright to me in a way that I really love for most situations. Rosewood feels softer and more "lush" to me, with less articulation but taking up more space. Haven't played enough pau ferro basses to generate an opinion.

Plenty of people will say that's all bs, but if it's something that feels clear to you, it makes a big difference in preferring one bass over another.

Ampslut, slugger, triode6L6a and 5 others like this.
  7. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    Short answer: "yes" with a "but", long answer: "no" with an "and".

8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    And there it is.
    End of thread.

:thumbsup:

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

Yes.
    Especially if the bass is fretless.

togril, joebar, 4dog and 2 others like this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    You should pay attention to buy what you like the most! :D

Your bass should look and sound good to you!!!

05042017113.jpg

...poor guy :p:p:p:p:p ;)

greetings

Wise(b)ass

11. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Sean, this is a topic that is questioned and debated perennially and ad nauseam on TalkBass:

BillMason, GregC and lz4005 like this.
  12. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Jesus....is the search button broken again??

13. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Many people think it does, because it does matter in a purely acoustic instrument. But wood has no effect upon a metal string vibrating in a magnetic field. Your amp plays a much bigger role than whatever the bass is made of.

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    The choice of fingerboard woods can make a huge difference psychologically. I would be surprised if anybody could successfully identify fingerboard woods consistently based on listening to sound samples. The possibilities of that fall pretty much to zero once the instrument is heard in a band setting.

I used to believe it made a huge difference, and I insisted on rosewood fingerboards. I still maintain I can hear subtle differences, but strangely, I can only correctly identify those differences if I can see the instrument.

BillMason, gebass6, Thisguy and 5 others like this.
  15. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    This subject is.............................

Flogging a dead horse (alternatively beating a dead horse, or beating a dead dog in some parts of the Anglophone world) is an idiom that means to continue a particular endeavour is a waste of time as the outcome is already decided.

beat-a-dead-horse.jpg

Fretboard makes no difference at all.

Buy what you think looks best.

The kind of strings that you use has the biggest effect on sound.

16. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I think that with all the arguments whether there’s a difference or not, I would just go by looks and feel...

17. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Have P basses with both. They all sound like P basses.

BillMason, Kijuer, eff-clef and 3 others like this.
  18. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    fretless = yes/maybe

fretted = the note is sounded between the fret in front of your finger and the bridge ... the part of the string that is vibrating over the pickups is not touching the fretboard .. !?

i would think various woods will affect the sustain ,... as some vibrate , or transfer vibrations better than others ...

19. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Your tax return is the form you filled out. You don't get that back. And you can't buy a bass with it.

20. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    If you forget about tonal difference for a moment, I have noticed that gitars with lacquered-maple fretboard are more stable than open-grain rosewood fretboard when air humidity changes. (Less truss rod tweking require)
    Now, I admit my experience is limited to having owned 20-25 guitars, but makes sense scientificaly, right?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021