1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision Bridge height issue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by LenJ, Oct 4, 2009.

1. LenJ

LenJ

Feb 2, 2008
    I have just fitted a new Precision neck as the old one was damaged and twisted.I have reset the bridge but find that the screws are at their height limit (any more adjustment and they will pop out!) but I still need more clearance btw strings and frets, do I get longer screws,adjust the truss etc
    Any suggestions appreciated
    Thx
    LenJ
    ps it was a jazz neck that was on the P body previously

2. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    I would try a shim @ the FRONT of the neck pocket ie the reverse to saddles cant go LOW enough.

3. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses
    Yep, a shim will do the trick.

4. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    also check your neck relief, if you have too much back bow it could cause this.
    i went through all kinds of set up issues when i first started playing because my relief was off. what i learned from it was that you must tune the bass to the proper pitch and set the relief before any other adjustments are made.

5. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Yes this is very true , also a P neck to a J neck would be the same the only diffrence would be the J neck is slimmer @ the nut

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If your neck is straight, and there's still too much angle, you can do one of three things:

Shim the neck at the front of the neck pocket.

Reshape the neck heel, removing wood from the body end of the heel.

Reshape the heel pocket on the body.

I ran into this problem once with a Moses graphite neck - it turned out that the heel of the neck wasn't square. It was quite a bit thicker at the body side than the neck side. I planed it down to parallel with the fretboard, and that fixed the whole problem. If the heel is square, then start with the shim, and if that doesn't fix it, take it to a qualified tech.