Fender Road Worn Pondering......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buzz, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I just received my Feb 09 MF catalog and they did a "Product Spotlight" review on the new Fender Road Worn instruments. After reading it I began to wonder how retailers will handle returns and resale.

Will it be a "blem" (How can you tell?)

Scratch n' Dent. (Yes. That ding is a factory spec.)

Just thinking out loud. ;)

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    :D Great questions!

3. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    A blem would be a spot that doesn't look worn enough?

4. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    That's the good thing about the Road Worn Fenders. They are all "road worn" in the same place. :p

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Or another angle:
    When one of these (or a Custom Shop "Relic") is used, and you're selling it, can you claim that it's "pristine"? :confused: :p

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    That entire "Relic" concept, no matter which manufacturer is doing it, is just really, really dumb.

7. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    HA!

...and there will always be those people that baby their basses.

"Hey! Don't touch my bass...I don't want it to get scratched or dented."

...and thinking of all the kids that will want one of these and try talking there parents into buying a brand new beat to hell bass.

8. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    Or I could see the advertisement: "Fender Road Worn Bass, Condition; like brand new...no really...that's the way it looked when I bought it."

9. Agreed, that is why they shold give me a brand new one every couple of months and I will make it road worn. :bassist:

10. The big retailers must love these relics, as they'll be able to carelessly bump them around w/out many repercussions.

11. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    But seriously; I've seen one in person, and the relic job on the Road Worn basses is well done. It doesn't look "beat-up" but rather "well cared for, but old looking and has obviously been played a lot".

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    CT, that may be yoru opinion, but personally I love relic'd basses.

I would buy one of these in a heartbeat, if I had the cash. Would I rather get a custom one by Brett, painted and relic it myself? Sure. But would I buy one of these? Yes.

Opinions make the world go round, my friend.

13. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    ...reminds me of the little shop near me that had a ESP relic jazz on the wall and had a "Please ask to play" sign between the strings.

14. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yeah, I know. Diff'rent strokes and all. I totally respect your right to love the relic thing, and apparently enough people agree with you to make it a worthwhile venture for the manufacturers. :meh:

But to me, it's just dishonest. That sort of look should be earned, not purchased. Go in your bedroom and practice three hours a day for five years, and spend every weekend playing five-hour gigs in sweaty bars, and then your bass will legitimately look that way. And you'll be a much better player in the process.

I do a pretty good job keeping my mouth shut about a lot of stuff I find really stupid. I just couldn't help myself this time...

15. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Simple, the used ones wont be "Scratch 'n Dent" they'll become "Ultra Road Worn" and carry a hefty upcharge for the extra relicing.

Its win, win really.

16. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    That is something to think about. I think that the idea that "anything that devalues the instrument" will be considered a B-stock. So, a chip that is uncharacteristic of the relic job would be taken into account.

I personally love the feel of a well worn bass. I have sweated on and thrown around my Musicman and I know it is my bass when I pick it up. The place where my wedding ring hits the paint when I pick it up, the button scratches, the sleeve wear from my right arm, the gunk from my left hand, and the places where things in my case have made it my bass.
    If I buy another bass, I would not mind it already feeling worn. Helps me relax for some reason.

Johnny Rhum

17. TLW

TLW

Dec 23, 2007
    St.Louis, MO area
    Lol, the whole road worn series wouldn't be as silly if they costed the same as your typical MIM fender, or at least even close.

18. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    This conversation is funny. I would really love a Custom Shop P and if I spent that much (which I probably never will) I'd have to go ahead get the relic'ed version.

19. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I never really had any interest in buying a relic bass, especially since they usually are so expensive. These MIM Fenders have me reconsidering though.

20. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I don't have anything clever to say, but I think that returns and out-of-box will be considered "Blem" just as they are now. I've heard that alot of the "blem" stuff is just out of box returns without notable damage anyway.

On the other hand, they may try to pass it off as new...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.