Fender Road Worn Pondering......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buzz, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think a few of you need to take the time to read the rules here. Calling someone dumb for owning/wanting a relic'd bass (or any other bass) will NOT be tolerated.

Enough is enough already, seriously.:mad:

You guys wonder why these threads get closed?? It's because of comments like the ones above that are stating how dumb people are for owning or wanting a relic'd bass.

Rule #1 at TB is respecting other members. There are several members here who already own relics, some who are building/selling them, and others who will probably be buying one in the future. Calling those folks dumb is hardly being respectful now, is it??:rollno:

If you don't like relics, don't buy one. It's really as simple as that.

2. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    A long time ago, I had a friend from Europe. His family owned a shop that sold American clothes, like Levi's, Harley Davidson boots, etc. His business was coming here and buying lots of stuff and shipping them back home. People paid big bucks over there for a pair of Levi's, like $100-150 American dollars...and even more for old worn ripped ones. :)

All true!! This was of course, pre-eBay....

3. I apologize for offending anyone. My post was without thinking. Pretty dumb of me.

I do feel that the whole relic thing is ridiculous and believe it will fail. It may be of value to note if you are buying one that there are many that feel the same and the relic may only be of value as a novelty. I wish I would have bought one of those singing fish that hang on the wall some years back.

4. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I don't let anything that anyone says on the internet bother me in the least bit.

I wish more people on this site would toughen up a bit and not let people push their buttons so easily. So many great threads destroyed because of over sensitivity to silly crap.

I guess I'm kind of "road worn." :p

5. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Above post = "Sorry - I didn't mean to say that people who buy relics are dumb, I meant to say that I (and lots of other people out there) think it's dumb to buy one."

Reminds me of the time I tired to get out of trouble with my wife by saying, "I wasn't calling you a b**ch, I just meant that you're acting like b**ches that I have known."

That didn't work either.

6. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    I don't remember where I've read that, but in my opinion, emotional maturity is not taking yourself seriously.

That is probably the bravest thing I've heard all year (so far). She might have ripped them off afterwards, but you sir, had BALLS.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Am I wrong or are these Road Worn basses made in mexico and nearly the same price as a regular MIA?

I guess relicing is expensive.

8. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Well if the majority of bass players don't like "relic" basses they won't be selling too many of them and the price will end up dropping like a....like a.....uh....brand new bass body from the back of a pickup truck.

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Couple things I got from reading these posts...

To each his own on the relicing thing, but over $1000 for a Mexican Fender Jazz/Precision just seems too expensive any way you cut it. I think the Road Worn basses look cool (in pictures, haven't seen/played one), but maybe they should be around the $400-$500 range max IMO.

Also, a lot of people are saying that someone should just relic a bass themselves by playing it. From what I've seen, you can't exactly WEAR down a thick poly finish the same way the old nitro fins got worn - literally from sweat, from playing, from not being kept in a case for years and years. Poly just kind of chips, cracks, dings, and discolors, but doesn't necessarily WEAR down as beautifully as nitro.

Also, someone here mentioned that they put a clearcoat finish OVER the relic markings on the new Road Worns??? How is that going to look authentic?? They'd be all shiny and stuff...a real relic'd bass (no matter how it was created, naturally, fake, etc) should have splintery, wood sticking through the nitro finish which IMO should also look very matte and worn, not glossy spots

Anyways, I know this is a VERY touchy subject to some people, but I think relic'd basses do look very cool and people should do whatever they want with their own money...even if it's spending over 1k for a mex fender. ;)

10. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I'm going to guess that like many things coming out of Mexico, the parts are all fabricated else where and shipped to Mexico for assembly.
    ...and I will be really disappointed if there is a clear coat over the body.

11. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I still have my organs, but the wife is long gone.

12. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I saw some of the road worn guitars (no basses in stock) today, and I thought they looked pretty good. I've seen a few relicked CS instruments that didn't look as authentic.

I still buy my basses (and pants) new, but I do appreciate when things get worn in. Not too many things in this world cooler looking than a sunburst finish worn through to the wood.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I saw some of the guitar offerings in GC, and they look nice. My complaints are - some of the arm rest "wear" looks fake....with a ridge at the end of where it goes from wood to paint. Real wear is essentially a sanding over the years and is smooth as it gets.

The fret sprout on every single one I checked out has been horrible, worse than the early SX. Improper drying before fretting.

14. fenderplayer

fenderplayer

Oct 31, 2008
    if there is road worn spots where the paint is chipped, do they clearcoat over the chip?

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Relic bashing is not allowed in the Basses forum. Please read and abide by all rules, including the stickies at the top of the forum.

16. Toshiro

Toshiro

Jul 21, 2004
    There's a search tool. Learn to use it.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Fender Road Worn Pondering......

Dude ... paying extra for a beat up bass is not a good buy. Buy a used bass and beat it up yourself and save some bucks.

That is my opinion

18. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Nothing wrong with a little bit of discussion on the basses, what gets old are the arguments - people coming in here to talk about how "dumb" relics are (I'm looking at you, Ric5), and getting the discussions shut down.

We have yet to see one of these threads not descend into that. That's what's getting old.

Now, to Ric5, you're coming into this thread to say that the concept of relic'ed basses is dumb. Well, I personally think that taking 4 string Rics and J's and turning them into 5 strings is dumb. You don't like relics, I don't like 5 strings, and especially not 4 string conversions. But you don't see me coming in every time you post pics of your basses criticizing your taste.

Seriously, if you don't like it, move on. No need to spoil the thread for other people. Go enjoy threads that have stuff in them you do like. Or if you do have a specific, relevant criticism, make it in a civil manner. This isn't that hard to understand, it's just basic manners...:meh:

19. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I think they are beautiful
    and a better deal than $5000 for a beat up old bass..

20. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Uh huh...I saw the search thingy but I get all confused on how to actually use it.

So you are giving out free Talkbass lessons now?
    Nice.

Anyhoo....

I stopped at Sam Ash yesterday and they didn't have or the "road worn" guitars or basses in stock. But my buddy over there said that he talked to a Fender rep about them and he said that the finish is indeed nitro cell which is pretty cool. I asked if he knew anything about them having a clearcoat and he said that he doesn't think so. He'll call me when they come in.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.