Fender Road Worn Pondering......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buzz, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    It's great that these topics have been discussed before. BUT for the people who are just getting involved with Talkbass these are NEW topics.
    Since you are a Talkbass veteran this thread is a little too green horn for ya, don't ya think? So move on and let the noobs have their discussions.

2. agplate

agplate

Jan 12, 2005
    Arizona
    I like surface treated things, like the road worn Fenders! That's why I also have a fake convertible looking top stuck on my new cadillac (the fabric cut around the door tops though), and fake stone veneer applied to my fiberglass tuscan columns out front (the stone doesn't actually touch the ground though 'cause of the foundation stickin' up- so it's like cool 'floating stone') and why I just built this new Victorian/Tuscan home in the middle of the Arizona desert (with the saguaro cactus and palm trees for deep shade- wow, that sun is hot here!).

This new Fender gives me the 'look and feel' of real. And I din't hafta even work at it. COOL!

3. To be fair, there have been 9 "road worn" thread since November and only about 1 before that. It's a relatively new topic that you don't need to be a veteran to have seen. The bigger issue is the number of people who have nothing positive to contribute to the subject besides tired and failed analogies. Thanks to them, you can expect to see these threads cafefully modded as they tend to shut down threads that turn into "X bass sucks because I say so".

Mike

4. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    My opinion....."road worn" is a popular style right now. Fender sees an opportunity to turn non-buyers into buyers. Many that were totally happy with their instruments are now contemplating buying a "road worn". That's all new business for Fender. They are going to grab it while it's hot.

5. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    And you plan on counterfeiting the serial number how?

6. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Serial number's on the neckplate, isn't it? Just swap the plates. Vintage dealers have been doing this for years. ;)

7. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    They struck a chord with a potential customer such as myself.

8. A small background on my working life, for perspective - I have worked in high-end bicycles (in some cases very high-end) for almost 20 years. There are a number of manufacturers (Cannondale, Bianchi, De Rosa, to name a few) who produce replica bikes patterned after the bikes they provide to pro teams under sponsorship agreements. Occasionally, these are faithful reproductions and primarily designed to be a collector's item (Trek had a limited run of 'Lance-issued' 9.5 Madones, for example), but a lot of them are purchased by the wanna-be (for lack of a better way of putting it) who thinks that by owning EVERY last piece of equipment their favorite rider uses, somehow that pro-mojo will rub off onto them and make them a better/stronger/faster rider. Now, without passing judgement on anyone who purchases or desires a road-worn whatever, the basic concept of 'road-worn' sounds kinda familiar...

Personally, and having seen first-hand a few road-worn P-basses, I'd be asking for a big discount if I was offered an instrument that looked like it had been dragged a few miles behind the tour bus. Just my opinion.

9. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    When you go out to buy a pair of jeans do you go for the faded pre-washed jeans or the stiff dark blue jeans that take forever to feel really confortable?

10. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I enjoyed OP's interesting questions regarding the Road Worns.
    Why the urge to foist opinions? Why the urge to suppress discussion with the argument "this has been discussed before?" Have you never repeated yourself? I have, repeatedly. Take it easy - if the discussion offends, avoid it. In regard to the Road Worns or other basses - shiny or relic - to each his own, friends.

11. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I can understand all sides of this discussion. At one point I was on the side that thought that brand new "relic" instruments were just down right silly. Especially when they were charging rediculous amounts of money for them.

Then I put some more thought into it and realized that it is really no different then trying to find a pair of jeans that are comfortable right out of the store.
    Who buys those stiff dark blue jeans anymore? When the pre-washed jeans came out I can remember people complaining that they didn't want to pay the same price and sometimes even more for beat up jeans when you could buy brand new ones.
    Some of you younger folks probably don't even remember those days.

12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I don't see how your analogy is relevant. The issue with the blue jeans is certainly one of comfort - I am old enough to have worn real, brand-new, never-been-washed stiff dark-indigo jeans. I remember the introduction of pre-washed jeans, and yes, it was a nice treat. I don't, however, understand the kids of today who will spend $40 on a pair of brand-new jeans with serious holes in them.

But is a brand-new non-relic bass really uncomfortable? When you walk into a guitar store and try out an "ordinary" new instrument, do you think to yourself "man, this thing is really stiff and difficult to move around with - sure wish it was broken-in"? I don't. A thin coat of satin tung oil on a neck is more comfortable than a thick coat of poly, but anything other than that is a non-issue.

You can't purchase patina. It's a logical contradiction. The closest you can come is purchasing a real vintage instrument with somebody else's patina, but that's really not what we're talking about here.

My apologies for re-hashing what apparently is a very sore subject here. I certainly didn't intend to start anything. So this will be my last contribution to this discussion; I promise.

13. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    The thread started out on the light & funny side. I can't believe there are people on this site who care THAT MUCH, it's becoming astonishing, showing pictures of smashed cars. etc. etc.... Obviously you're not buying one (many are), so whats the big deal. Lighten up....who cares...turn of the computer....

14. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    What I don't get with the anti-relic position is why its proponents discount the importance of appearance and style.

Sure, it'd be nice if everyone could get a genuine vintage instrument, but these instruments are often:
    a) Expensive,
    b) Not as playable as a new, modern bass

So why do people find a problem with buying a bass with the look and features one wants, and not with the tons and tons of bands acting all tough and hardcore on stage, when for the most part that's not who they actually are.

The music business is full of smoke and mirrors, it's pretty naïve to act all indignant at the fact that it's possible to buy old-looking.

15. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Sorry crew.
    I didn't mean to cause any chaos. It's just when the idea popped into my head of merchants re-listing these returned items as blem or scratch and dent discounts, I personally found the thought of it funny. There was really nothing more to it than that.

16. Wafoleri

Wafoleri

Jan 15, 2008
    Greensburg, Pa
    OT. Just quoting you because I love that fail picture in your avatar. I laughed out loud.

17. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Hey man, it's all good.
    Nothing wrong with debating a topic, especially when I am so obviously correct...:D

18. +1 And dumber yet is anyone who buys one.

19. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Them be fightin' words.....

LOL.

Anyway, I'm going to stop at Sam Ash today and see if they have any of the "road worn" basses in stock and try one for myself. Like I said before, if it is only a matter of appearance and the basses don't feel broken in then I will lose all interest.

20. FWIW #1 - the two I played felt just like any other P-bass. I think part of my issue is what someone else mentioned earlier on...the three I saw were all identically 'worn.' I kinda thought that there would be some differences in the finish, but apparently no.

FWIW #2, in answer to the jeans query - actually, I do buy the dark indigo jeans, and let them fade down over time. If I could find real shrink-to-fit 501's in my size regularly (I'd need 33W/38L to shrink down to my size), I'd buy them by the dozen.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.