Fender Road Worn Pondering......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buzz, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mntngrown

mntngrown

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    From the perspective of an old fart that bought a 50's P when he was 12 or 13 around about '63 or so,(yes Leo introduced the P bass the year I was born), it seems silly to me. I stripped mine and tried to spray can paint it a metallic purple or lavender cause I was enamored of the Ventures Mosrite axes. (must sound like a foreign language to most you youngins). Anyway the Ventures were the "Hellecasters" of that era. If you don't know who the Hellecasters are stop reading this post. Anyway mojo don't happen by trashin a new instrument at the factory level. Buyin one of those does not interest me in the least but YMMV. Hey anybody seen my purple metallic P in their travels? I forget who I sold it to, and I never did LSD! Sorry for the rant.

2. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I know what you are saying.
    But they just don't make 'em like they use to, literally.
    After I read your message here I thought to myself.
    Why don't they just make affordable instruments with the nitrocell paint anymore?

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    I am trying to talk someone out of what I consider a bad buy ... if you don't like what I do to my basses that is fine by me ... I do it to my basses to satisfy me ... I really don't care what others think about my personal bass collection.

Really there are a lot of genuine used basses that sell for less than new ones ... that is a better buy ...

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    If people don't want opinions on what we think about reliced basses then why do they ask?

5. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    You make 5-string conversions on Rics? Cool!

Even though I personally don't like 5-strings or have any plans to ever own or play one I still think it's cool that you are doing something out of the norm.

I'd like to see a 5-string "relic" Ric.
    Now that would be REALLY interesting to see.

6. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    People like the relic treatment because it satisfies them from an aesthetic standpoint. If the basses are anything like the guitars, they're going to be of pretty high quality - much higher than people have come to expect of MIM's. Much closer to that of American's at leat IME.

So, if someone wants that finish, how is one of these a bad buy? It's a high quality bass with a finish you don't care for. Doesn't make it a rip off.

And there's a fine line between discussion and criticism of a product you haven't tried based on things that prospective buyers would consider a feature.

BTW, I actually think the conversion jobs you do are pretty cool. Not a 5 player myself, but they're still pretty wild looking :)

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Since we can't seem to have a relic thread without people derailing it talking about how stupid relics are, this one is now closed.:rolleyes:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.