1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender rumble 500c, 200c or Mesa Subway WD-800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Jul 22, 2019.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    In this case you're really making a choice between "cheaper and good" and "more expensive and great".

So the question you need to ask yourself is "which is more important - cheaper or great? "
    I see the Rumble 500 is about $600 new, the WD-800 about $1000 new.
    From one perspective that's a lot of money.
    From another perspective it's a couple of pedals.
    From one perspective

lomo likes this.
  2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Not a cheap option, but incredible is Aguilar Tonehammer and SL115. Great, vintage tone with lots of flexibility in a small and reliable package. That 115 is light, loud and low - two of them handle larger gigs with ease. I have a Rumble also - the Aguilar is in a completely different league though.

3. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Yes that’s exactly what’s going on. There’s no doubt about it, the Rumbles are good amps. I guess where I’m at is i’m Either spending a little for something good or keep saving for something great. I don’t want to buy the rumble and deep down inside want a boogie someday and feel like that 5-600 coulda gone towards the boogie. The other side of the coin is I’ve got a v-4b stack and that’s a killer amp as well. It’s just not good for our smaller gigs and practices where I don’t want to lug it around. It’s been good to hear some of you guys have been able to replace your big pegs and small amps with the boogies. It sounds like a Swiss Army knife of a bass amp.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It's a Swiss Army Knife that turns into a samurai sword. Really.
    I've used it on big gigs, little coffeehouse gigs, stuff in between, and recordings.

Coot and Haroldo like this.
  5. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Man that sounds like what I’m looking for. Which tone hammer model?

G-Dog and EatS1stBassist like this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have the TH700, but lots of folks get by with the 350 or 500. The cabs come in either 4 or 8 ohm models, so you kinda need to think through how you want to use it. If you ever want to use two SL cabs with that head, they’ll need to be 8ohm. I like the increased headroom the TH700 offers, especially with just one cab.

7. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    I’m mostly going to go one cab at this point so does the 8ohm still have plenty of balls by itself? What’s the TH700’s power output at 8ohm load? Also where’s that head made?

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    350w at 8 ohm - made in NYC (I think)

9. Coot

Coot

Nov 14, 2018
    Winnipeg,Canada
    I've got the WD-800, subway D-800+ and a Fender Rumble 500v3.. I like all three of them but the WD-800 is the King.They each have their own place and voice.The WD-800 has a great basic tone as well as a 2 ohm capability ,HPF, tuner,headphones, damping feature ( very useful with 10's), a nice EQ section..but go with what you think is best for you. Listen to some demos if you can't do a hands on. ( I have no regrets on buying ANY of these amps.)

agedhorse and EatS1stBassist like this.