Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    No doubt....these are great little amps just the stock speakers I feel Fender could have chosen better ones.

GonePlaid likes this.
  2. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I replaced the original with a Kappalite. Better but the r112 sounds fatter. Been thinking of taking the head portion outta the B25 and making a 'case' for it, sorta like a Rumble head.

3. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    LOL .nice thought. Once you do that take pics and send to Fender saying you'll sell them the paten for $100k.

4. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Ah! Very cool, leeroid!! Sounds great.

But I was hoping to see pics of the speaker connection wiring that, I thought, was going to automatically disconnect the internal speaker when plugging in an external speaker. This appears to be a manual switch that, actually, provides more flexibility! You can quickly compare external cabs against the sound of the internal speaker.

Though I wonder about any potential danger in flipping the switch while the amp is still powered. I suspect the danger would be minimal, but whaddoIknow?

Still, cool mod, man Rumble On!

5. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Gonna play some ZZ TOP today with my longtime friend he’ll be using my Rumble 200c. I/we love that Rumble!

GonePlaid likes this.
  6. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    I will pull the plate and take pics of what I did sir and flipping the switch won't hurt it being single wire inline. The crossover is fused.

GonePlaid and EatS1stBassist like this.
  7. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Thanks, bro, pix would be great.

Yeah, I would think that flipping the switch while not actually playing, and not sending any appreciable signal thru the switch, shouldn't be any problem. But the worrier in me envisions flipping, whether accidentally or otherwise, while playing quite loud and sending a very strong signal.

Wish I could get an assurance of safety from someone like @agedhorse, but I'd hate to bother him. ;)

GonePlaid likes this.
  8. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    Well my man the switch and the jack are on the back of the cabinet so why would you be back there playing very loud anyway trying to flip a switch? I can personally say that it being fused is perfectly safe for the internal speakers.

GonePlaid likes this.
  9. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    Ok here ya go boss. The silver and blue wires are attached to the OPT. Silver is positive and blue is negative. I did not want to mount the crossover board to the cabinet that's why I came up with that old Ev speakon Jack plate and everything that you see there and I pulled one of the speakons off the plate and that's where I put the switch. I put the crossover plate back on to the back plate and bam it's done. 20190310_142859.jpg 20190310_142934.jpg 20190310_143327.jpg

GonePlaid likes this.
  10. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Indeed, why would an idi..., uh, ... that is, a "playful" person push any button or flip any switch they happen to find, only to ask "what's this do?" after the fact??? And, yes, "playful" people are always where you least expect them, and at the worst possible times. Accident investigations are always full of "why would you"s!

Fuse on the internal speaker sounds good to me. Nothing you could do for the external speaker(s)? Just asking out of an abundance of caution.

I actually got the impression you were planning to use something like a ¼" headphone jack that would automatically cut off the internal speaker and turn on the external. But, I admit the speakon is cooler and the manual switch more flexible!

Thanks for the pix! This is so significant that you now have your own Mod named after you in the Fender Rumble Modifications section of the wiki!

Rumble On!

11. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    fair enough

GonePlaid likes this.
  12. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    To tell you the truth I wanted to use the 1/4" but I was impatient lol. I do not know of any combo on the market having a SAFE FUSE wired inline of the speakers to save them only external cabs and I am talking about passive ones not powered. But every cab I have ever built I have always used a safe fuse in line and I have built over 10 various cabinets.

GonePlaid and G-Dog like this.
  13. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    No, the 40 can't go as loud as the 100. 100 watts thru 12" speaker, all else being comparable, if not equal, will always be capable of going somewhat louder than 40 watts thru 10" speaker. "About" as loud? It's a matter of opinion and your definition of "about". Listen and decide for yourself for your best answer.

You should replace the R100, if you must, with the Stage 800. It's not that big. Quite light for it's size. Just 17 lb.s more than the R100. If that's too much, you're either old, like me, or you have a very bad back, like me; in which case you have empathy.

If you have my empathy, then a Studio 40 is next best. But, don't replace the R100 with it! Chain the Studio to the 100 to get the effects, but with 140 watts and a 10" and a 12"!! Yes, that will be louder than the 100 alone.

"Worth" replacing one amp with another is subjective, and you are the only one able to decide the worth to you.

Yes, the Stage 800 and Studio 40 both can sound as good as the R100. They can also be made to sound much better, or even worse, with other settings! They can handle being pushed. Can you stand being pushed by a Stage 800? Yes, I believe you can dial in or out almost any amount of mud/boom, fart or distortion of any kind, if that's what you're looking for.

I have a Boss GT-6B and a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live, but I much prefer my Fender B-DEC 30, the granddaddy of the Studio 40, which I find to be much more user friendly and fun to experiment with.

You're being curious, and that ain't bad. Rumble on, sir.

14. Rizillin

Rizillin

Jul 2, 2012
    Question: does anyone know of metal speaker covers that fit Fender rumble 500 10" speakers? I love the vintage look of fender cloth grill covers but hate the limited protection. I'd like to put metal covers over the speakers (behind the cloth grill). Thanks! Keep thump'n.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    GonePlaid and Youngspanion like this.
  15. Rizillin

Rizillin

Jul 2, 2012
    Here's my Rumble 500. Can I join the club? :hyper: 20190309_221232.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  16. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    No, I don't, but not a bad idea.

JRH likes this.
  17. Anyone here ever try an Ampeg V-4B? Might be grabbing one for our jazz combo

GonePlaid likes this.
  18. Rizillin

Rizillin

Jul 2, 2012
    How'd you add a quote below your profile name? ?

19. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    Nope...but I use to have an Ampeg B2RE. Played like a champ. Drove a crate 4x10 on top of 2x15's.

Devon Bustard likes this.
  20. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Welcome back to TalkBass, and welcome to the Fender Rumble Club, Rizillin. Been a long time since to posted, been lurking? I lurked for a couple years before joining TB, now it seems I won't shut up!

I found a link to this website where you might can find what you want.

Or perhaps something from here:

Or maybe even from here?:

Raymundo49, Rizillin and GonePlaid like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021