Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I read through most of the wiki page. Lots of good stuff there, but there are no articles really comparing the tonal characteristics the V2 vs V3 Rumbles, particularly the overdrive and the clean blend.

I've narrowed it down to the 350, 500, and 800 heads that I want to try.

2. Mvf

Mvf

Feb 1, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    Ok, my misunderstanding. So good luck with that one!

3. No. We're totally unique. :laugh::angel:

EatS1stBassist and Mvf like this.
  4. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Most people I have seen who swore by the V2 rumbles, ended up being totally converted when they finally got their hands on a V3.

I like the idea of a blended overdrive, and had the boss ODB3 and replaced it with the behringer clone of it when it got stolen

I did notice that with that pedal, the blend was good for a heavy distortion, but for a natural sounding overdrive like an early Geddy lee tone, it was best with the blend fully on OD and the gain low.

The V3 also sounds better with the overdrive all the way down, and even then it is a little too dirty unless the gain is turned way down, which will rob the clean tone from some punch when you turn the OD off.

That's the thing about v3, it isn't an overdrive channel, just an overdrive that can be turned on and off, and the main gain control also affects the amount of overdrive in addition to the overdrive knob.

I did use the overdrive a lot in the past, almost always on and used to try to get the closest to the Geddy tone I like to use, or as a boost or extra grit in a SOAD tribute where I mostly used clean, the ODB3 for certain parts, and I would kick in the rumble overdrive for some grit when there was a guitar solo. The odb3 was set for blended distortion for the intro to psycho and I would sometimes throw that in during solos as well on songs where serj played rhythm guitars because our "serj" only sang.

Currently after a bunch of major bad crap that sidelined me for 2 years and I lost almost everything to storage theft. My footswitch was on my pedal board and I still have not replaced it.

Now I am using some cheap pedals I bought for guitar (lost all amps except r200 so I am also using that to play guitar through), and it turns out one of them sounds SO much better for what I want than the built in overdrive, so I am using them as bass pedals. It is the saphue(kmise) ultimate drive which is supposed to be an OCD clone, it does not kill all the lows like an OD1/Sd1 or tube screamer, just a tad loss in the sub lows, but I swear it is the perfect light drive with the drive almost all the way down. I also use the saphue US dream (riot clone) as another slightly grittier drive, and they stack well too. Then I added the behringer ODB3 clone as well

When I get another footswitch I will surely start using the rumble drive again as well. I used to keep it simple in most bands, no pedals, or bcb3 boss 3 pedal plus tuner and sometimes one more pedal for the SOAD thing.

But now I am going back to the pedal board thing. Going to build a big one.

I know I went way off topic, but you really can't go wrong with the v3. And if you go for a 350 be sure to try before you buy.

The vintage mode on v3 is very popular. V2 had similar shape switches, but the v3 modes are way cooler. Though I mostly just use bright as I like top end in my time. If I was in a more 90s/2000s band , getting funky , or a modern metal band I would probably use contour more often.

Iirc v2 is 3 band with sweepable kids. I had that on my SWR bass350 for years, but what I like about the V3 4 band is being able to play with both low and high mids rather than having to choose one mid frequency. But either works fine for me. And I also liked the acoustic B600h I had, which had 5 or 6 band.

Everything I had was stolen while my 200c and several basses and a couple guitars were in the pawnshops.

Ever since I got the rumble 6 years ago, I have never had the need to bust out the big heavy stuff, so even though it sucks to lose it, I can get by without it.

5. Mvf

Mvf

Feb 1, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    Ok, so I did it!

A one year old R500c came up for sale for a good price, and as I am mentally weak, I could not resist...:smug:

So now I have Rumbles for every possible occasion, a R15c, two R100c:s, one R200c and now also the R500c.

The 100:s I have used daisy chained, making it a 200w 2*12 stack. I also tried chaining the 500 and the 200..., wau! this will be my stack for the really BIG gigs:bassist: - Hmm.. what gigs:rollno:..

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  6. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Any cabs?

You would be amazed what happens to a 200 or 500 when you add a cab

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  7. Mvf

Mvf

Feb 1, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    No cabs anymore.

My first Rumble was a 500c (sold it for some reason and replaced it with a rumble500 head + 2 15” Rumble cabs). But I used to pair the R500c with one rumble 15 cab, so I know what happens. And actually the same thing happens when I chain the 500 as master to the 200:)

I have a lot of Rumbles, but I play in 3 different bands, rehearsing in different places, and I don’t want to carry my amps with me all the time, so... Maybe it makes sense;) And I sold the head and the cabs earlier this year.

G-Dog likes this.
  8. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

More specifically, see the first in a series of Rumble Talks entitled "Fender Rumble History". Also, near the bottom of that list of links is "A History of Fender Bass Modeling Amps", if you're interested.

The manuals for old and new Rumbles, found on the Fender website, may help to answer some of your questions about functionalities. :thumbsup:

There are a few other Clubs, that I know of, with such Wiki pages. See my signature for those links. :) And here's a comprehensive list of TB Wiki pages.

I hope this helps you.

BazzaBass, rmc63, RColie and 2 others like this.
  9. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    This^^I coupled a Rumble 200v3 to v3 210 cab and wow!

ubernator, John Stephen and G-Dog like this.
  10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Indeed. It’s almost so I regret not having to do it more often, but the 500c covers so much ground on its own.

jmhaslip, EatS1stBassist and G-Dog like this.
  11. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I used to do the same thing but mainly with cabs, sometimes a whole rig. I used to have, in the previous life prior to 2013, SWR goliath III, SWR SOB, Eden D410xlt D210xlt as well as my SWR bass 350 and acoustic b600h heads, and with 4 cabs it was easy to leave cabs at rehearsal space, and use other cabs to gig, or be in 2 bands and leave cabs at each space when the bands had permanent spots. In 2 cases I left the d210xlt and the b600h as a dedicated practice rig, and gigged with the 350 and other cabs. The b600h was more powerful and the d210xlt hits like a lesser 410 so it was a good rig for a 2 car garage playing punk or a tiny soundproof room playing metal With a 5 string.

Now since the Eden cabs were sold when I downsized in 2012 and all the rest was stolen in the 2015-2019 period of separate incidents along with other stuff I had gotten since like an swr wm110 to go with my WM10, and my rumble 112 cab, while my 200c and several but not all (lost 5) basses were in hoc, I don't have that option. But since the V3 is so light it does not bother me to cart it around. And recently got a 210 to replace the 112. One rig guy now for the foreseeable future, but if a 200, 500 or even 350 head popped up super cheap, or another micro like an mb200, I might grab it as a backup since the 210 can probably cut it on it's own if the 200c crapped out. And I would probably convert it to a 115 cab if that happened since it is way out of warranty unless I found a hook up to fix it.

Of course if I got another head I would probably start gassing for more cabs too. It all depends on what pops up and if I have liquid funds or an acceptable trade.

That being said I would trade my vintage black label boss OD-1 short dash for a micro head or v3 rumble cab

I only bring the cab now for new band tryouts because you never know what you will need till you get there, or a band tuned lower than drop D, or for all but the smallest live shows that don't need the cab. But most shows I would bring a cab because it looks cool and brings it all closer to ear level, even if not needed.

So most rehearsals in standard even with some drop D songs, the 200c is enough and I would rather be lazy and leave the cab at home

A good 115 and a solid 100w is the minimum, and the 140w rarely gets maxed out to keep up.

Anyone who knows about watts knows that speakers are more important, and doubling the wattage is only 3db louder, so that jump from 140 to 200 or 350 to 500 is more felt by the added speakers. If there was an impedance switch on the cab from 8 to 4 like a hartke hydrive it would be a much more subtle boost to send more watts to the same cab.

I had wanted to put a 2ohm mode on my goliath3 to go from 220 to 450w on my bass350, but had I done that, it probably wouldn't have been as much if a jump as I figured way back, but it would have had more clean headroom. But the 115 and 410 at 350w 4 ohm would probably have hit harder than 410 at 450w

12. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    What is the general consensus of the best rumble head to buy? Is the 800 the way to go now? I truly can't decide. It's between a v2 350, a v3 200, 500, 800 head.

Also it seems like a combo with an added cab the most popular option?

How does the 200 head hold up with a couple of cabs?

13. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    The same as a 200 head with a 115 and what ever 2nd cab you would put under a 200c. Except that the 115 cab is a little boomier than the 200c cab.

So it is roughly the same but more flexible in choices with the head and cabs. But it costs a good bit more to go that route.

A 500c plus 210 is basically the same as 500 plus 2 210 s but considerably cheaper.

An 800 is nice if you think you will be on the outdoor festival circuit with a pair of 410s a 410+115 might stress the 115 because it is a 300/600w cab and if you have it slammed and are tuned low, it might not like it. But it would probably be fine.

The 500 is usually enough but if you need 2 810 fridge cabs the 800 is the way to go.

Nobody who really needs that has to worry about buying a rumble rig because there is usually provided backline or an endorsement ;)

donahue likes this.
  14. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Thanks. I need all the help I can get. There are so many iterations of Rumbles, which is great but makes for a harder decision.

So are the 500 and 800 head the same besides the 2ohm capable, pre/post and the wattage?

I'm leaning to a 200 head or 200 combo.

What is the most popular extra cab pairing with the 200c?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  15. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal

Ronzo and donahue like this.
  16. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    112v3.

ubernator, donahue and Ronzo like this.
  17. IMO, a 2x10 pairs well with 1x15.

EatS1stBassist and donahue like this.
  18. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Depends on how your OCD leans, if it is bothered by non matching widths, then a 112 or 210, but the 112 was discontinued . if you subscribe to matched drivers or fear the MDP (mixed driver police), then the 115 makes most sense. It is wider than the combos and 112/210 cabs. Though it is a closer match with the combo on its side, or the cab on its side, or just have a wider bottom cab which is really no big deal.

I had the 112 and now I have the 210 and only because the 112 got stolen and they are not easy to find. My avatar pic shows it with the 112. With the 112 the bottom cabinet is shorter than the top cab but it looks cool and they are the same width. The 112 plays nice with both the 200 and 500 combos, the 210 will push more lows and highs but less mids than the 112.

My rig does seem more powerful than it did with the 112 but this is just from memory, and in the past I lived on a boat and the amp and can lived in the car so I only used them at shows and practice and did not critically examine the difference in sound between the 15 and the 12, it just made the whole rig louder and fuller

When I got the 210, now living indoors again, and also playing guitar at low volumes through it, did I notice the large difference in mid response of the 15 vs the 210. Along with that being a common thing, 15 s and 12 s have more mids than most 10s. You could consider the 12 as the middle ground.

Also for pure air pushing, the 115 will push the most air because 15 is more cone area then 2x10, and the larger cabinet size helps as well. So the 12 pushes the least, and 210 is only slightly less than the 115.

And the 210 is a hundred bucks more than the 115.

Nobody would argue that the 115 will be the loudest and have the most mid punch, but the 210 looks better and being smaller makes a more compact rig, as well as a perfectly matched stack. In an ideal world we would have a 115 offering that also had the same dimensions.

For me it was whichever of the 3 popped up at the best price clpse enough . a 115 popped up as part of a rig that I may have been able to split off for a good price but it was too far away for me to jump on, being a good $30-40 in gas. My 112 was $150 negotiated on here with a meet in the middle drive, but you won't find deals like that often. $150 would be my jump price for 115 as well since both the 112 and 115 are 299 new.

When I saw a 210 pop up used for $169 on GC I jumped because they ate usually over $200 sometimes $300 used. Well after tax and shipping to nearest GC it ended up being almost $230 but I have no regrets, and won't be looking for any other cabs unless I come across a micro head first, like a 200 500 or MB200 etc. In which case OCD takes over and the desire for the ability to have 2 cabs to run with the head will kick in.

As far as the 800, I'm pretty sure the only difference is the power section which is where the 2 ohm capability comes in.

But if you are leaning towards the 200 or 200c the 200c gives a better value, but a 200 on a 115 will give you more bass, or the ability to roll the bass back to reduce mud and thus gain more headroom in your mids. You can get slightly louder with a 115 cab this way, but it costs considerably more, and the 200c has a tighter response.

I did compare at a sam ash, a 200h/115 vs a 200c, and the 115 required the bass knob to be cut because of the boomier sound. At that time I no longer was interested in the 115, but after thinking back on it I realized that it could be used as a source of a bit more volume because of the added headroom gained from cutting the bass knob.

If you like a boomy cab, the 115 will give you that.

Another note, the 210 and 112 are made in the eminence China factory and have a slightly nicer fit and finish than the 115 410 cabs and the combos made in Indonesia, but that also makes them slightly heavier for their size too. My 210 is a little heavier than the 200c but not by much .

200c and 115 is probably the best bang for the buck.

If I still had my 112 that is what I would still be using, and if it was still available new at 299 I would suggest it over the 115 at the same price unless you needed the maximum possible volume, like a downtuned metal band

donahue and EatS1stBassist like this.
  19. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Not to mention a good deal lighter, as well. :)

20. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Pretty much, but it’s important to remember that the 500 is no longer current. Your only option for a Rumble head these days, unless you go the used route, is the 800HD.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021